Not open for further replies.

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
I'll be honest with you, I competed for 10 years in car audio competition from 1996-2005 and I can tell you that when I measured this stock Ford stuff it beat the shit out out a late model Pioneer AVIC. Those test were done with a $60K lab calibrated o-scope. There was no room for error in our testing.
It might be better soundwise, but at least you get actual maps on any aftermarkt navigation headunit on a regular basis and, and i don't know if this is only true for Germany, the real time traffic information are way better on any Pioneer, Alpine or Kenwood navigation system than on the Ford SYNC3. Maps in Germany on the SYNC3 are at least 3 years old and no new maps are officially available until today for the Ford SYNC3.
These days it's not all about soundquality (although this is still very important), but always a compromise between support, features and soundquality, and when compared on all these points my Kenwood headunit is ahead of the SYNC3, although its soundquality might not be as good as the SYNC3/ACM can be (after programming).

In addition my SYNC3 was very picky about the GPS receiver. I tried four different receivers and always got a DTC and non working maps in the SYNC3. And although sometimes the map error could dissapear after some seconds of waiting most of the time i had to go into the debug menu of the APIM and clean the navigation error to be able to load the maps.

Granted, my APIM was brand new from 2018 and the error regarding the GPS receivers might be related to this. But in this case i don't want to know what Ford ordered to be changed in the APIMs to loose compatibility with most after market GPS receivers.
And i didn't want to use the original Ford GPS receiver as this would've meant to drill a hole into the roof to put in the stock antenna of a 2017 and up Ford Mustang (SYNC3 for EU mustangs came with model year 2017, not 2016 as in the US).

Blade007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Magnetic, 2011 Nissan quest
Just an FYI, if you aren’t a contributing member of this board I’m not giving you a discounted price on my harness. I did this for the guys who are here contributing like @Spart @zackmd1 @Blade007 and @RedfireV8. If you were directed here by a Google search or a third party you can find them on eBay in a month or so for full price.
The harness from HextallS550 was topnotch! Well built, not at all bulky like those from the other providers and seamless plug and play. I have it plugged into my swap and I have not had an issue with anything at all.
Highly recommended to anyone on the board that needs one.

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
The harness from HextallS550 was topnotch! Well built, not at all bulky like those from the other providers and seamless plug and play. I have it plugged into my swap and I have not had an issue with anything at all.
Highly recommended to anyone on the board that needs one.
Marlon, do you still need that TraveLink harness????

Sponsored

Red18GT

DanO
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Race Red GT
Just finished the Sync3 swap in my 2018 and I wish I'd just ordered a harness from Hextall. That's several hours of wiring and pin swapping I'll never get back. Everything works great except the backup camera. I updated sync to version 3.0 hoping that might fix things but it didn't. Just to be sure, are the wires for the backup camera are supposed to be a white/green wire and a brown/violet wire?
Just to follow up on this for anyone else doing the swap on a 2018, the correct wires from the base screen connector are white/green and blue/white. According to wiring diagram for a 2015-17 and what I saw with mine, the color of the brown/violet wire has been changed to blue and white. Either Ford changed the color of the wires or my harness is made incorrectly. The location of the wires in the connector have stayed the same, it's still pins 6 and 12 and my backup camera functions normally now. Hope this will save someone a little trouble!

Blocka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
I dont understand half this stuff Is any one in tampa area willing to install it for me if i pay

badsmurf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Just to follow up on this for anyone else doing the swap on a 2018, the correct wires from the base screen connector are white/green and blue/white. According to wiring diagram for a 2015-17 and what I saw with mine, the color of the brown/violet wire has been changed to blue and white. Either Ford changed the color of the wires or my harness is made incorrectly. The location of the wires in the connector have stayed the same, it's still pins 6 and 12 and my backup camera functions normally now. Hope this will save someone a little trouble!
Did you swap out the start stop button? If so, can you tell me how?

Red18GT

DanO
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Race Red GT
Did you swap out the start stop button? If so, can you tell me how?
The bezel I bought to do my swap had the same switch as my car already had so I didn't have to change the buttons.

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Hextall- I ordered my sync 2 to sync 3 hub harness on May 4th and still haven't received it. You told me 3 weeks ago you put me on "the wrong spreadsheet" but you had it in a box and you were dropping it off at the post office at 5. I have sent you countless emails and you won't reply. Can you give me any kind of update as to what is happening? Or are you "too busy"?
Can't comment on the supposed to have shipped it out 3 weeks ago, but he did say this two weeks ago:

Just so there is no confusion; if you ordered a harness it’s been built and is sitting the box waiting for the shipment of correctly keyed latch connectors. As soon as I have the correct latch connector it will be attached and sent out to you the same day.
I realize that people don’t like to wait but this is not something I had any control over. When you’re building custom parts (and selling them basically at cost to show members of this board appreciation) things like this can happen. Again, I’m asking for patience.
For the people who asked for a harness and didn’t pay yet as soon as I have the part I will reply to your PMs.
I had sent an inquiry and was waiting for Paypal info, but based on the above I'm waiting for the connectors to come in so he can actually fulfill the orders.

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
They are in. Orders have started to ship.Unlike in the past. I am building first and then accepting payment. Comp Orange GT ordered a MFT to Sync 3 hub harness, that was shipped too and for the delay he was refunded purchase price minus shipping.

These are almost ready too:
2018_08_02_13_23_44.png

2018_08_02_13_24_51.png

Jonahbonah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
Finished the sync 3 swap the other day with Hextall’s harness (not the plug and play, the repin and play), and it was so worth it. The harness was well worth the cost of it especially all the support with forscan that he helped with. If you’re on the fence about doing the swap due to lack of wiring knowledge, definitely pick up one of his harnesses. With it you can seriously finish the swap in an hour or two with ease.

Status
Not open for further replies.