Sponsored

jpopcorn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
GT500, Audi RS3
Just did mine. The only upgrade was that maps went from NA 118 to NA 119. Gracenotes stayed the same, 1.1.1.1332 (NA-0010). It also says that my software is up-to-date, and shows today's date and time.

I was charging the battery in full ACC mode during the upgrade. Power did shut off, but I think that it was after the process was complete. I say that because the USB stick stopped blinking. I'm just glad that it worked and no problems. It takes two hours; one hour to download the software, and one to upload it into the car.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I'm not sure how long it has been but more than a few years ago, I gave up on vehicle maps. First it was the GPS manufacturers who wanted to stick you for a Benjamin Franklin every time there was an update.

Then, the automakers did the same. But, when they figured out that they were making people angry, they came up with the "one free download" idea.

Meanwhile, the phone makers were WAY ahead of everyone and while there were some issues early on with incorrect map data, it has been my experience that no vehicle mapping system can compete with either Apple or Google Maps.

Consequently, I really don't care about an update for the car as there will always be at least one phone in the vehicle.

The only negative issue I've found is that with good old Apple, if you also have The Watch, the darn thing tries to vibrate itself off your wrist when the phone is navigating. Every notification you'd get on the phone, comes through on the watch as well. No doubt there are steps to prevent this but I haven't bothered yet.

So anyway, for those who do use the vehicle maps, I'm happy for ya. That said, Apple hooked me long ago with CarPlay and the old man is quite the happy camper with that.

:)

KB

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
I'm not sure how long it has been but more than a few years ago, I gave up on vehicle maps. First it was the GPS manufacturers who wanted to stick you for a Benjamin Franklin every time there was an update.

Then, the automakers did the same. But, when they figured out that they were making people angry, they came up with the "one free download" idea.

Meanwhile, the phone makers were WAY ahead of everyone and while there were some issues early on with incorrect map data, it has been my experience that no vehicle mapping system can compete with either Apple or Google Maps.

Consequently, I really don't care about an update for the car as there will always be at least one phone in the vehicle.

The only negative issue I've found is that with good old Apple, if you also have The Watch, the darn thing tries to vibrate itself off your wrist when the phone is navigating. Every notification you'd get on the phone, comes through on the watch as well. No doubt there are steps to prevent this but I haven't bothered yet.

So anyway, for those who do use the vehicle maps, I'm happy for ya. That said, Apple hooked me long ago with CarPlay and the old man is quite the happy camper with that.

:)

KB
I agree. I only did the wife’s car as it is much easier for her to use than anything Apple makes....:crackup:

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
My other half is the pure definition of "technically-challenged" Don, but she chooses to use the phone for navigation and I'm not even sure she would know HOW to navigate with the GM system in her car. Now, if she figured out how to TALK to it, well now, talking is her middle name so she could probably manage that. <big grin>

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Downloading it now. I had to go out to the car to get the sync ESN. The modem ESN is blank! Ha!

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
I didn't have anything better to do so I figured, why not update the vehicles?

Modem was blank here too, Tom. :cool:

I thought that the map files would be the same regardless of VIN since it's just SYNC and MAPS...and I'm still thinking they are, but the archived files from two different VIN/ESN downlods are different as are the license files so I dunno. As soon as they finish copying to the thumdrives, I'll go do the update on "Ruby" (truck) and Sarah.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I didn't have anything better to do so I figured, why not update the vehicles?

Modem was blank here too, Tom. :cool:

I thought that the map files would be the same regardless of VIN since it's just SYNC and MAPS...and I'm still thinking they are, but the archived files from two different VIN/ESN downlods are different as are the license files so I dunno. As soon as they finish copying to the thumdrives, I'll go do the update on "Ruby" (truck) and Sarah.
The files take forever to transfer to the thumb drive. Remember, when you unzip the files the the thumb, you dont want a new folder to be created. Otherwise you will have to move the unzipped files to the parent directory manually.

Now how do I keep this car from going to sleep? I can't find the setting

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
The files take forever to transfer to the thumb drive. Remember, when you unzip the files the the thumb, you dont want a new folder to be created. Otherwise you will have to move the unzipped files to the parent directory manually.

Now how do I keep this car from going to sleep? I can't find the setting
I’m not near my car, but there is a setting under the Vehicle menu to uncheck “Auto Off”

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
It wound up finishing the update without timing out, so moot point.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Otherwise you will have to move the unzipped files to the parent directory manually.
10-4, Tom and that sorta sounds like you might have experience with said mistake. <smile>

I got tired of waiting for the files to decompress to the sticks so I said, "another day." Knowing my typical ways, I'll probably forget all about it which, would be NBD, as I don't use the nav in the car anyway.

Went to my first car show instead and had fun. Couple hundred cars for sure and I did not see one other '20 of either flavor. LOTS of Mustangs though, HS, way more than almost all the others combined it seemed.

But guys, I saw an absolutely spectacular, orange, Mecum-level '69 Z28 resto that was out of this world. I should have taken some photos. Oh well, I'll probably see the car again. Had a high school buddy with one of those but stock, it wasn't a competitor for my rebuilt '69 'Cuda.

Also saw two beeyooteeful '70-'72 (not sure) Chevelles. Lots of good memories from those days.

KB

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Update for those who HAVE NOT attempted to download the map files yet...

Ford isn't kidding, you get ONE...count them...ONE shot at getting those files for free. I know because I grabbed files for two vehicles and when I wasn't sure if I renamed them correctly, I went back for another download.

Not so fast, fella. You had your chance.

So, be sure you get the download and make a copy of it before you do anything.

Forty bux...give me a damn break, Ford. That is just low rent, IMHO.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Update for those who HAVE NOT attempted to download the map files yet...

Ford isn't kidding, you get ONE...count them...ONE shot at getting those files for free. I know because I grabbed files for two vehicles and when I wasn't sure if I renamed them correctly, I went back for another download.

Not so fast, fella. You had your chance.

So, be sure you get the download and make a copy of it before you do anything.

Forty bux...give me a damn break, Ford. That is just low rent, IMHO.
Fortunately this is not true. Check the e-mail you received after the first download. There is a link to download it again. A lot of us have been through this.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Fortunately this is not true. Check the e-mail you received after the first download. There is a link to download it again. A lot of us have been through this.
Will it work on other vehicles or do you need a new license code?
Sponsored