Offshoregames

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
21’ GT Premium PP1 Carbonized Grey Metallic loaded
Vehicle Showcase
I have a new CF wheel coming this week and wanted to ask those who have removed their steering wheel what they found to be the best little tool to use to to remove the airbag.
Sponsored

thompsje

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
CJ Pony Parts recommends a 4mm allen wrench, which is a good indication of size. I found a flat blade screw driver to work a lot better tho. Less likely to slip off. It's still a bit of a PITA tho.

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
It was a major PITA, but small flathead worked best. Don't forget to disconnect the battery!

Magnetic Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I used a small Allen wrench. It was kind of a pain to push the pins in. Be patient. Lol

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I want a steering wheel without an airbag, like a Grant GT, but I don't want to lose my buttons.

16Fastback

RMR 8985
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fastback , 2009 Ranger 4x4
I removed my wheel twice, 2 different wheels second time the bolt worked loose while I was driving either get yourselves some good lock tight or go to Ford for under 5 bucks you can get a new bolt. As others have said make sure you disconnect the battery otherwise the airbag could deploy.
I use the Allen wrench method.

OP
OP
Offshoregames

Offshoregames

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I appreciate all the feedback . I will take the advise and put it to use. I did get a new bolt already from LMR as I read it’s a torque to yield bolt and shouldn’t really be reused. This is the wheel I chose. I didn’t get the CF pieces in the middle parts where controls are. I think the stock silver ones will look better, if not I can always add them later .
5243B01C-50C3-41CC-904E-5BBF4D1D7F99.jpeg

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

txpat3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue PP1 5.0
Allen wrench was definitely a pain. Kept slipping out of my hand and caused a nasty blister. Anything with a legit handle like a flat head as suggested would be easier.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Offshoregames

Offshoregames

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Be aware that the main steering wheel bolt has changed and is no longer a "torque to yield" bolt on newer S550's.

It's been mentioned by other M6G members that it is now a TORX bolt (see thread below with image):
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/steering-wheel-change.176866/
Thanks . I just picked up a 1/2 dr T50 socket so I’m ready for either. If it’s the reusable torx does anyone know what color thread locker is recommended by Ford? The replacement bolt I got had blue already applied but a non torque to yield could be different, maybe

OP
OP
Offshoregames

Offshoregames

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just finished install . Wasn’t as bad as I built it up to be. My wheel did end up having the 24 MM steering wheel bolt and not the T50 nut. Def have to be careful of all the little plastic tabs on all the trim pieces. I can see how the can break easily.
C69FA8C6-AC5A-4ECB-AEA1-6FB608FFECDD.jpeg

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Be aware that the main steering wheel bolt has changed and is no longer a "torque to yield" bolt on newer S550's.
It has changed, but do we actually know whether it is indeed no longer torque to yield? Having a torx head instead of a hex one doesn't necessarily mean that.

I wonder when this change happened. Pat's car is 2019, and I understand it has the torx screw, but in the other thread another member says he has the old-style bolt in his 2020 GT.

The 2020 service manual, attached below, says nothing about having to use a new bolt, which suggests it isn't torque to yield anymore. But the picture shows a hex head.

Attachments

OP
OP
Offshoregames

Offshoregames

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It has changed, but do we actually know whether it is indeed no longer torque to yield? Having a torx head instead of a hex one doesn't necessarily mean that.

I wonder when this change happened. Pat's car is 2019, and I understand it has the torx screw, but in the other thread another member says he has the old-style bolt in his 2020 GT.

The 2020 service manual, attached below, says nothing about having to use a new bolt, which suggests it isn't torque to yield anymore. But the picture shows a hex head.
Mine is a 2021 PP and it had the 24mm bolt. Changed my wheel this afternoon

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Pat's car is 2019, and I understand it has the torx screw,
No, I misunderstood that. Pat was talking about the allen key he used to detach the airbag, not about the bolt that holds the steering wheel in place. My mistake. :blush:
Sponsored