Sponsored

Steeda Pro Active vs Bilstein B6

krisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 - Race Red
I currently have the Steeda Sport Progressive lowering springs on my 2019 PP1. I’m going to be adding Steeda’s Stop the Hop Starter kit and am looking to do an upgrade on the dampers.

I’ve read all of the threads I could find on the different options, and I’ve settled on either the Steeda Pro Actives (which combined with my current springs would give me their comfort package) or the Bilstein B6.

My car is a daily driver and will probably never see a track. I certainly do not want any decrease in handling over the stock PP1 suspension, and from what I’ve read both will improve handling, but my priority is comfort. Based on that, which of the two would you recommend? I see comments of people running the Bilsteins on lowered springs, but I’ve read they are designed for stock height, which gives me pause.
Sponsored

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I would not recommend the Steedas. Bilsteins are a solid play, probably the best option. Next best would be FRPP Track dampers (yes, even for the street).

OP
OP
krisk

krisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would not recommend the Steedas. Bilsteins are a solid play, probably the best option. Next best would be FRPP Track dampers (yes, even for the street).
Thank you for the feedback.

What is the reason for not recommending the Steedas? Quality, performance, comfort, or something else? Did you have a bad experience with the Steedas?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The Actives don't have anywhere NEAR enough rebound damping. Bilstein 100% or FRPP track shocks. They aren't stiff at all - assuming you can actually find them in stock.
If you wanna go Steeda then get the *adjustable* pro-Actions. Short of spending $3000+, it's a properly good shock.

Last edited:
OP
OP
krisk

krisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Actives don't have NEAR enough rebound damping. Bilstein 100%.
And the Bilsteins won’t have any issues on lowering springs?

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
And the Bilsteins won’t have any issues on lowering springs?
you're not lowered enough to matter. While you're in there get the $40 diff bolt fix-up kit and put the whiteline IRS slip-over bushing kit in. Fraction of the BMR kit's price and more compliant.

OP
OP
krisk

krisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're designed for it. The best.
you're not lowered enough to matter. While you're in there get the $40 diff bolt fix-up kit and put the whiteline IRS slip-over bushing kit in. Fraction of the BMR kit's price and more compliant.
Thank you. Most of the other threads pointed toward the Bilsteins, but I just wanted to be sure I wouldn’t have trouble being lowered. Looks like Bilsteins it is.

OP
OP
krisk

krisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any issues using the factory mounts and bump stops with the Bilsteins?

Sponsored

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
+1 to above, not only did the Steedas not work great I actually have one blow pretty quick and the other was starting to weep.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The Actives don't have anywhere NEAR enough rebound damping.
I gotta say Steeda's post-sale support (even unsolicited) is fantastic! They looked into why I was coming to the above conclusion, did some testing and have updated their configuration Bill of Materials. Revised small parts are inbound.

If you're having ride quality issues make sure you have no less than 14.25" (14.5 is better) measured from wheel center to fender lip. The value is obviously dependent on length and firmness of any jounce bumpers in play but is a starting point for further investigation.

OP
OP
krisk

krisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, I’m going to take a chance with the Steeda ProActives. I spent some time talking with Steeda, then did some more research and decided to try them out. The fact that I’m only 5 miles from Steeda’s manufacturing plant gives them an advantage when I’m comparing manufacturers‘ parts. (I realize the local plant doesn’t manufacture the dampers.) Just knowing I can take a ten minute drive and have a Steeda tech check something out if I have a problem gives me a lot of peace of mind. One thing is for sure; I haven’t found any other manufacturer that had the customer service both before and after the sale that Steeda has.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you're having ride quality issues make sure you have no less than 14.25" (14.5 is better) measured from wheel center to fender lip.
I measured mine and it's 14.25 or perhaps slightly less. It was a quick measure. hmmm

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Bilsteins all day. Love my setup with the BMR handling springs.
Sponsored