Sponsored

Steeda IRS Brace

Bman5150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Mustang GT Premium (carbonized gray)
Other than hitting the drag strip a few times, I don’t plan on autocrossing or tracking my car. However, I noticed like many other Mustang owners have noticed that when I made a quick transition from left to right or right to left, the rear suspension feels like it’s a step behind and attached to the chassis by rubber bands. I’d like to minimize this sensation but also don’t want to go nuts with cost or modifications.

I’ve read a ton of threads about IRS braces, and the Steeda braces seem to be highly regarded as an easy way to reduce wheel hop on hard acceleration. Are they also good at reducing the latent rear end steering effect? I saw the other post recently on this but I think that Mustang owner has already done more to the suspension than I care to.

Also, do I need to be concerned about these Steeda braces rusting? I will drive in the salt and snow during the winters occasionally.
Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I’m stock suspension but have the Steeda IRS braces. I noticed a difference immediately. Rear end feels more planted. I hit them with a few coats of high heat Rustoleum as I drive my car year round

IMG_1962.jpeg

OP
OP
Bman5150

Bman5150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@MAGS1 when was the photo taken? Maybe I should have mine powdercoated?

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
@MAGS1 when was the photo taken? Maybe I should have mine powdercoated?
Right after I put them on last summer. If you zoom in on the pic, you can see my Steeda jacking rails starting to rust. Took 4 winters but it finally started happening. Those are just the standard Steeda powder coat.

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
All of @WD Pro powder coating/anodizing is a thing of beauty. There’s a few threads with his stuff, if I were smart I would’ve just done that instead of the Rustoleum

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
They already come from Steeda powder coated. However, the thing that I’ve noticed is, the metal seems to have not been sandblasted prior to powder coating them.

My car has never been driven in the snow and has only been driven in rain a handful of times in 3 1/2 years. My braces are peeling and slightly rusting already. I just pulled them off a couple of weeks ago to do more suspension work. Here is what they look like today (still off of the car). I’m thinking of touching them up with some gray Rustoleum.

It would be costly and a PITA to have to wait on a shop to powder coat them. Besides that, it would also mean removing and taking my Steeda drive shaft safety loop and rear adj. toe links to have them done, so that everything matches. I could easily see a $300-$500 cost associated with having all parts done.

IMG_6572.jpeg

IMG_6570.jpeg

IMG_6569.jpeg

IMG_6568.jpeg

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
They already come from Steeda powder coated. However, the thing that I’ve noticed is, the metal seems to have not been sandblasted prior to powder coating them.

My car has never been driven in the snow and has only been driven in rain a handful of times in 3 1/2 years. My braces are peeling and slightly rusting already. I just pulled them off a couple of weeks ago to do more suspension work. Here is what they look like today (still off of the car). I’m thinking of touching them up with some gray Rustoleum.

It would be costly and a PITA to have to wait on a shop to powder coat them. Besides that, it would also mean removing and taking my Steeda drive shaft safety loop and rear adj. toe links to have them done, so that everything matches. I could easily see a $300-$500 cost associated with having all parts done.

IMG_6572.jpeg

View attachment 825799

IMG_6570.jpeg

IMG_6569.jpeg

IMG_6568.jpeg
I used silver high temp Rustoleum on mine. Did 4 coats, we’ll see how well it holds up under the car.

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Right after I put them on last summer. If you zoom in on the pic, you can see my Steeda jacking rails starting to rust. Took 4 winters but it finally started happening. Those are just the standard Steeda powder coat.
Oh man you're right. I put POR-15 on the car itself under there before I put them on, but did not coat the actual rails. I am dreading the idea of taking them off and putting that on those too. It stops rust dead but looks meh.

@WD Pro's Mustang should be shown upside down at car shows. It's real pretty under there.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
All of @WD Pro powder coating/anodizing is a thing of beauty. There’s a few threads with his stuff, if I were smart I would’ve just done that instead of the Rustoleum
It’s never to late :like:

They are thick gauge so won’t rust through, even if the surface looks poor - just get them done at a later date / when the cars off the road / when your looking for a bit of a project / when you feel they need it etc etc.

Knowing what I know now, I would happily buy an older set and refurbish to be better than new. In my opinion, the older design(s) also have some advantages :like:

IMG_6572.jpeg

IMG_6570.jpeg

IMG_6569.jpeg

IMG_6568.jpeg
My set, defo didn’t have any surface prep.

I don’t know what costs over that side of the pond are like, but talk to your local wheel refurbishment place - a set of braces will cost approx the same as a single wheel :like:

Oh man you're right. I put POR-15 on the car itself under there before I put them on, but did not coat the actual rails. I am dreading the idea of taking them off and putting that on those too. It stops rust dead but looks meh.

@WD Pro's Mustang should be shown upside down at car shows. It's real pretty under there.
It’s not all good, but for a U.K. outdoor kept car, it’s probably as good as I can expect it to be :like:

WD :like:

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
@WD Pro go ahead and post a few pics of the bottom of your car here. I never get tired of seeing that work of art that you’ve created underneath there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bman5150

Bman5150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was also considering finding some used ones and having them powder coated.

Any other IRS brace I should consider besides Steeda and BMR?

Duece McCracken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon, 2019 Bullitt
The Steeda braces are constructed very well. The only thing that would make them even better is a long lasting quality coating.
Yeah, Steedas coatings are poo poo. My Steeda braces are very rusty. Im going to have to clean them up and paint them. 2 season car, and under 15k on the braces, very rusty from poor coating. Shamefully so.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Yeah, Steedas coatings are poo poo. My Steeda braces are very rusty. Im going to have to clean them up and paint them. 2 season car, and under 15k on the braces, very rusty from poor coating. Shamefully so.
Hopefully I can find some Rustoleum close enough in color, so that I can touch them up. I’m only going to focus on the areas that are in need of attention.
Sponsored