Sponsored

For those that removed the clutch helper spring . . .

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
It's interesting that Car and Driver singled out the GT350 in their story about the lengths to which manufacturers go to achieve the perfect clutch engagement feel.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Haha, that may be true but some of us have too much lead foot syndrome to leave things to chance while cruising boring interstate highways. :D

ETA: I just ordered a Steeda spring since they're having a sale, I guess I'll find out what the difference is between the 17 spring and the Steeda spring.
Quite a bit of difference between my 17 GT Base spring and the Steeda spring.

I can see how with no spring, or with the Steeda spring that there could be an issue with the switch that detects you're depressing the clutch (and kicks off cruise, or engages the no-lift shift if so tuned.) When I was lying under my dash playing with it, I could get the clutch pedal to fail to return fully to the upwards position after taking the factory spring out.

However, the switch on my car just isn't very sensitive. With the Steeda spring driving down the road, even resting my foot on the clutch doesn't kick cruise off. I have to actually depress the pedal a bit.

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
It really must be a car to car thing. I removed the spring altogether in both my 15 GT/PP and my 16 GT 350 and the clutch return is full %100. In fact I really feel the return on the clutch is faster than with the spring? I tried the Steeda in my 15 just to see what I was missing,,,,, it felt pretty much factory numb,, to me anyway.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
It really must be a car to car thing. I removed the spring altogether in both my 15 GT/PP and my 16 GT 350 and the clutch return is full %100. In fact I really feel the return on the clutch is faster than with the spring? I tried the Steeda in my 15 just to see what I was missing,,,,, it felt pretty much factory numb,, to me anyway.
It will certainly feel like there's more return pressure, but the thing to remember is that once the spring breaks over center, it switches to pushing the pedal up rather than down. It's only in that last little bit of travel.

tuckerware

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R Lightning Blue on the way
I have about 900 miles on factory spring, 500 miles with no spring, and will be trying the Steeda spring soon so will find out if I like that more than none at all.
Sponsored