Sponsored

Starter motor heat soak?

REDLINE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Z51 Stingray
Hey guys, I think I’ve solved my starting issues (I think). For the longest time, my car would randomly not “crank” when starting up after a track session or long drive. At first I thought it was the starter relay or starter fuse, after changing those out, I still had starting problems.
I started to see a pattern that this only occurred when the engine or ambient temperatures are hot and after the car has stopped for a few minutes.
If I popped the hood and waited a few minutes, the car would start right up. I’m assuming the starter is suffering from heat soak. Anyone ever experience this?
Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Hey guys, I think I’ve solved my starting issues (I think). For the longest time, my car would randomly not “crank” when starting up after a track session or long drive. At first I thought it was the starter relay or starter fuse, after changing those out, I still had starting problems.
I started to see a pattern that this only occurred when the engine or ambient temperatures are hot and after the car has stopped for a few minutes.
If I popped the hood and waited a few minutes, the car would start right up. I’m assuming the starter is suffering from heat soak. Anyone ever experience this?
Welcome to the GT350, where those who track their cars either have experienced this, or will at some point. In my experience with 3 starters, it’s usually a sign you’re getting closer to a total failure. Start parking uphill at the track if able where you can pop the clutch after rolling to start when it finally does go.

OP
OP

REDLINE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Z51 Stingray
Ahh. Good to know. Thanks, pilotgore! You wouldn’t happen to have a link to where I can buy a gt350 starter, do you? Or the part number will be super helpful too. I’ve tried looking them up, but am a little confused. I see some for the regular 5.0, I see one for the gt350 and then I see one for the 5.2L. all with different price numbers.
I couldn’t find out the main differences were between the three of them.
Thanks Pilotgore!

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Ahh. Good to know. Thanks, pilotgore! You wouldn’t happen to have a link to where I can buy a gt350 starter, do you? Or the part number will be super helpful too. I’ve tried looking them up, but am a little confused. I see some for the regular 5.0, I see one for the gt350 and then I see one for the 5.2L. all with different price numbers.
I couldn’t find out the main differences were between the three of them.
Thanks Pilotgore!
All mine have been replaced under warranty, so unfortunately I don’t have that info. @jmn444 might though. I’ve read about some guys switching to a power master starter.

Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Cranks cold, won't turn hot is a classic diagnosis for a starter about to go out. Something about the internals of the starter (windings, casing) and the tolerances that make it drag or bind more when it's thermally expanded.

So if you crank the car, drive to the grocery store and come out and it won't crank (and your battery is GTG) then chances are, you're going to need a new starter soon.

I'm sure tracking the car accelerates this thermal shock/cycling.

melown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R / '13 GTI
pop the hood after a good drive. I had this happen after stopping the engine shortly after a high temp blast in the mountains. Opening the hood and trying to drive 10 min later always works better (starter is happy) than not.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
I always open my hood for cooling after each track session and have never had this problem on my 2016. After others had issues, I added the DEI wrap for insurance.
Sponsored