Sponsored

Starter broke.....mystery

89strok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 foxbody 347, 17' GT350 Avalanche(SOLD), 2019 GT350R KR711
Alright guys, got a new one for us and it's a mystery to me so far. I've burnt out starters before but never like this. Yesterday took the car out for few hours and did some fun spirited driving. On my way home I stopped at a friends, sat for an hour or two and went to leave, car won't start. Checked everything up and down couldnt find an issue. Had full power, battery was fine, but no crank at all. Fuel pump was kicking on, but again no engine crank what so ever or any sign of a dead battery. So got it back to my garage, got underneath to check out the starter and found one of the cables that goes to it, hanging freely with the nut and stud still attached to it. Long story short, SOMEHOW SOMEWAY one of the studs on the solenoid literally snapped off the starter itself. I have zero idea how anything could get underneath and hit it, I checked everything and nothing else is loose or missing as if anything came free and hit the starter. Unless the solenoid literally exploded on it's own and blew the stud out, I see it nearly impossible for anything to hit the wire/starter to snap it off.

Has anyone ever seen this or have any ideas ? It's a complete mystery for me . Pic attached of the solenoid off the starter.
20190503_165720.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
89strok

89strok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 foxbody 347, 17' GT350 Avalanche(SOLD), 2019 GT350R KR711
Starter image for reference, I took the solenoid off separate just to check it out
resource.png

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Manufacturing defect?? Cable cut short putting tension on that particular connection?? Crazy in any case...

Did Ford give you a new solenoid or did they replace the whole starter? Did they let your do the work?

Thanks for posting the pic and good luck.

Currupt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Was there ever a solution for this? I had this exact same thing happen but it was actually from me being dumb while reattaching the terminal and using a bit too much manual ugga dugga with my stubby wrench lol. Ive been hunting for a starter solenoid part number but haven’t found anything, I think my approach will be to do a temporary repair of using the spade connector itself instead of the stud while I just wait for a solenoid or order a full starter.
Sponsored