Son used Windex on my Car

s550worley

Reaction score
First Name
Zachary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT | 2005 Mustang GT
So while I was at work my son decided to use Windex to clean my front bumper for me... He's 3 so obviously I wasn't mad at him, just an innocent mistake, but I know ammonia is really bad for paint and it sat on there for probably around 6 hours before I was able to clean it off. Do you guys think it's anything to worry about? It looked fine but I was wondering if it'll have a bad effect on the life of the paint in the future.

Advertisement

kz

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
So while I was at work my son decided to use Windex to clean my front bumper for me... He's 3 so obviously I wasn't mad at him, just an innocent mistake, but I know ammonia is really bad for paint and it sat on there for probably around 6 hours before I was able to clean it off. Do you guys think it's anything to worry about? It looked fine but I was wondering if it'll have a bad effect on the life of the paint in the future.
It'll be completely fine. Ammonia is bad for interior plastics. In fact I saw people in dealership use glass cleaner on the car that was about to be delivered to make the paint look shiny .

IceAge

Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
GT Mustang 2019, GT 500 Magnetic 2020, 2020 Bullitt, Dodge Challenger Hellcat Redeye Octane 2019, Dodge Charger Hellcat White Knuckle 2019, Toyota Supra Premium 2020, Toyota Avalon TRD 2020, Honda Civic Type R 2019
A bug that splatters all over your front has more dangerous chemicals or should I say toxic waste. Paint is much more durable than you think and no way any issues. Heck lousy water used on your car that sits will do more damage and or even acid rain.

Rapid Red

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
RaceRed>GT PP2 >RXCAIL2
Vehicle Showcase
As others have said, Windex hurts nothing . Have cleaned a bike and HotRods for years with it.

How I discovered this usage, was drive along. Had a bike at the time. Noticed some guy using it on his, and went home tried it, 40 years ago.

A good quicky clean up, just saying soft rags not paper towels.

RasJeremy

Reaction score
First Name
Ras
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 2020
Some brand nerds probably will light me on fire, but I've done a lot in detailing and beside my primary job I do car detailing and I use glass cleaner on paint a lot!

Even though there is paint cleaning and degreasing products a lot of them are pretty pricey - I got a tip years ago using glass cleaner instead and I have done that ever since.

Long story short... You're fine! the most damage it could have caused was if he rubbed it around and some dirt would have made minor scratches, so as stated in post #2 - clean it and wax it :like:

Last edited:

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Poor Man's McLaren
I always clean the glass on my cars last. Of course, a little of the spray gets on the paint, and I pick that up with the glass cleaner cloth.

But then again, I switched to SprayWay (no ammonia) because it absolutely does not streak.

splatrd

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost, 2016 Camaro 2SS, 2017 Silverado
Ammonia is an issue for tint. It will discolor it if you use ammonia based cleaners on tinted windows.

NoVaGT

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Just spray that shit all over your car. Top to bottom, side to side, front to back. Leave it to bake in a 105 degree sunny day.

A'int gonna hurt nuthin'.

gadgtfreek

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Totally fine. I grabbed it by accident once instead of the spray wax lol, figured out after I did a panel and something was odd (not slick).

celica0774

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT convertible PP1
It'll be completely fine. Ammonia is bad for interior plastics. In fact I saw people in dealership use glass cleaner on the car that was about to be delivered to make the paint look shiny .
Careful there.
While Windex may be OK for paint, the ammonia in it will attack any polycarbonate. Does anyone know if the light housings are polycarbonate?

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/how-to-clean-plexiglass/

compprep

Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, PP1, AE, A10, Prem, VB, B&O; 1986 SVO, 2014 Volvo S60
Son used Windex on my Car

Right after watching "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" by any chance? :giggle:

Advertisement

110 - Moddiction - 1

Advertisement