OP
OP
Wyzz Kydd

Wyzz Kydd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro SS 1LE, 2020 Mustang EcoBoost
Son is probably like. Damn you mustang6g people, mind your own business.
Lol. He wasnā€™t to happy about the MyKey suggestion, but I paid for the car and am paying insurance and gas, so itā€™s my rules.

I like the idea of a good driving school or some competition to hone his skills.

Not sure how that would impact insurance and his warranty. My Camaroā€™s warranty covers track usage, but I suspect his doesnā€™t.

OP
OP
Wyzz Kydd

Wyzz Kydd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Increasing it for what purpose? He theoretically should never hit the speed limiter, so why even make it a thing? Just feels like micromanaging something minor when heā€™s already doing something major, like driving a car. I would have been annoyed and made fun of by my friends if my dad had some nanny device on my IROC when I was 16, it would have likely made me want to see what he was trying to keep me from doing. But let me be clear, Iā€™m not his dad, you are. Iā€™m just here to challenge the group think on this topic.
Also, I urge you to get him in a few autocross events this summer as others have mentioned Itā€™s a fantastic outlet for aggression and it teaches skills in a safe controlled environment. It will also show him that his ability to drive the car could use a lot of work. Itā€™s a much more constructive way to teach respect than having a speed limiter set. Just my $.02.

Not rare at all! šŸ˜‹
01CEACAB-E707-4530-8406-61F98A2E3474.jpeg
Looks like a 6th gen GT and 5th gen RS? If so Ford rules in that garage. In mine the turbo 4 canā€™t hang with the V8 SS 1LE.

Whitest Russian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Lol. He wasnā€™t to happy about the MyKey suggestion, but I paid for the car and am paying insurance and gas, so itā€™s my rules.

I like the idea of a good driving school or some competition to hone his skills.

Not sure how that would impact insurance and his warranty. My Camaroā€™s warranty covers track usage, but I suspect his doesnā€™t.
He'll thank you when he's older. No matter how smart he is, he's still a teenage boy and he's going to do stupid teenage boy stuff like everyone has.

17gt_charlotte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aidan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I was in a similar situation to your son, my parents bought me a 17 manual GT at 17 years old after straight Aā€™s all throughout school. I did have to pay a bit (few thousand) but I have always remembered my dad saying as we got into the car, ā€œNow remember, as Spider Man says, with great power comes great responsibilityā€. I think that is great advice and something that I really do remember. I have raced friends, Iā€™ve done burnouts, Iā€™ve gotten it a bit sideways, but Iā€™ve always used my head. Iā€™ve never raced when it was relatively unsafe to do so, and Iā€™ve always taken it super easy in the cold/rain. I know my opinion might not mean much to you as a young guy myself, but I would give him a few months, let him learn the car and build trust, then let him enjoy the car without all the nannies. I believe he will respect that you trust him and this will tone down some of the inevitable teenage stunts, but YMMV. Also, definitely do the autocross day for him, I wish I had done one by now! Might have to look at some soon. Congratulations!

Sponsored

1MeanZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP M6 1986 Camaro IROC-Z
Looks like a 6th gen GT and 5th gen RS? If so Ford rules in that garage. In mine the turbo 4 canā€™t hang with the V8 SS 1LE.
Itā€™s a 2010 SS 6spd car, belongs to a buddy, Iā€™m storing it for winter. We havenā€™t raced yet but the Camaro is bone stock and my Mustang isnā€™t. I suspect the Mustang rules the roost. Lol

ezracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 DIB Mustang GT Premium.
C'mon Man. Don't buy him a 4 banger 'Stang. Let the boy have some real fun!
Get him this '34 Ford Coupe.

(sarcasm)
34.PNG

OP
OP
Wyzz Kydd

Wyzz Kydd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually a Deuce Coupe is on my wish list, but for me. There's a company that produces the body's, licensed by Ford. Someday, maybe, I'll buy one and drop a Voodoo crate engine in it. Chop the roof down, it would be cool.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Just revving the engine got me laid in college. No joke. Granted I knew her through friends for a couple of years but we never came close to intimate. We were studying late so there wasn't a soul around when we left. That wonderful sound of Ford's pushrod 302 paired with L/T headers and flowmasters makes a hell of a tune... she asked if we could f**k in my car while it idled. Who am I to say no?

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Just revving the engine got me laid in college. No joke. Granted I knew her through friends for a couple of years but we never came close to intimate. We were studying late so there wasn't a soul around when we left. That wonderful sound of Ford's pushrod 302 paired with L/T headers and flowmasters makes a hell of a tune... she asked if we could f**k in my car while it idled. Who am I to say no?
Hope you had leather seats.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
I bought my 15 year old a new EcoBoost a few weeks ago. Glad I found this forum. It's an impressive car. I got it for $24K and change out the door, which seemed like a steal for a new car. He does most of the driving (on a learner's permit) but I have driven it a bit and I'm impressed. Good value for what you spend.

The plan is to put a couple of thick gloss black racing stripes up the middle, an OEM rear spoiler, and eventually I would like to get him the tires and rims that come on the performance package EcoBoost. Pics to follow.
Congrats! What an awesome first car!
Sponsored