Son used Windex on my Car

s550worley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zachary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT | 2005 Mustang GT
So while I was at work my son decided to use Windex to clean my front bumper for me... He's 3 so obviously I wasn't mad at him, just an innocent mistake, but I know ammonia is really bad for paint and it sat on there for probably around 6 hours before I was able to clean it off. Do you guys think it's anything to worry about? It looked fine but I was wondering if it'll have a bad effect on the life of the paint in the future.
Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
So while I was at work my son decided to use Windex to clean my front bumper for me... He's 3 so obviously I wasn't mad at him, just an innocent mistake, but I know ammonia is really bad for paint and it sat on there for probably around 6 hours before I was able to clean it off. Do you guys think it's anything to worry about? It looked fine but I was wondering if it'll have a bad effect on the life of the paint in the future.
It'll be completely fine. Ammonia is bad for interior plastics. In fact I saw people in dealership use glass cleaner on the car that was about to be delivered to make the paint look shiny .

IceAge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500, 2022 GT500, 2020 GT Mustang, Raptor,
A bug that splatters all over your front has more dangerous chemicals or should I say toxic waste. Paint is much more durable than you think and no way any issues. Heck lousy water used on your car that sits will do more damage and or even acid rain.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
As others have said, Windex hurts nothing . Have cleaned a bike and HotRods for years with it.

How I discovered this usage, was drive along. Had a bike at the time. Noticed some guy using it on his, and went home tried it, 40 years ago.

A good quicky clean up, just saying soft rags not paper towels.

RasJeremy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ras
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 2020
Some brand nerds probably will light me on fire, but I've done a lot in detailing and beside my primary job I do car detailing and I use glass cleaner on paint a lot!

Even though there is paint cleaning and degreasing products a lot of them are pretty pricey - I got a tip years ago using glass cleaner instead and I have done that ever since.

Long story short... You're fine! the most damage it could have caused was if he rubbed it around and some dirt would have made minor scratches, so as stated in post #2 - clean it and wax it :like:

Last edited:

Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I always clean the glass on my cars last. Of course, a little of the spray gets on the paint, and I pick that up with the glass cleaner cloth.

But then again, I switched to SprayWay (no ammonia) because it absolutely does not streak.

splatrd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang Ecoboost, 16 Camaro 2SS, 17 Silverado
Ammonia is an issue for tint. It will discolor it if you use ammonia based cleaners on tinted windows.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Just spray that shit all over your car. Top to bottom, side to side, front to back. Leave it to bake in a 105 degree sunny day.

A'int gonna hurt nuthin'.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Totally fine. I grabbed it by accident once instead of the spray wax lol, figured out after I did a panel and something was odd (not slick).

celica0774

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT convertible PP1
It'll be completely fine. Ammonia is bad for interior plastics. In fact I saw people in dealership use glass cleaner on the car that was about to be delivered to make the paint look shiny .
Careful there.
While Windex may be OK for paint, the ammonia in it will attack any polycarbonate. Does anyone know if the light housings are polycarbonate?

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/how-to-clean-plexiglass/

Sponsored

W.O.T. Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1 401A
Reminds me of a story from awhile back. My 11 year old nephew washed one of my older mustangs with dawn dish soap as a surprise and didnt tell me... he wanted to do something nice for me for my birthday, so he thought he'd clean the mustang.

Next time it rained - i noticed that none of the water was beading up like it used too. For those that don't know, dawn strips all of the wax off the car. Im glad i found out before the heavy texas sun hit. It will burn through clear coat like a magnifying glass through an ant!

IceAge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500, 2022 GT500, 2020 GT Mustang, Raptor,
Reminds me of a story from awhile back. My 11 year old nephew washed one of my older mustangs with dawn dish soap as a surprise and didnt tell me... he wanted to do something nice for me for my birthday, so he thought he'd clean the mustang.

Next time it rained - i noticed that none of the water was beading up like it used too. For those that don't know, dawn strips all of the wax off the car. Im glad i found out before the heavy texas sun hit. It will burn through clear coat like a magnifying glass through an ant!
Yep No Good Deed Goes Unpunished 😁

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Dish detergent and washing machine soap will also etch glass leaving spots.

dguzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 V6 w/051A Met. Guard w/foundry wheels
My friends son used a brillo pad to wash the family Fairlane. It made his driveway pink for a while as well.
Sponsored