So Calif 5.2 engine builder/ track car mods

JBG0137

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 1965 Mustang Fastback, 2019 GT350r
Any suggestions on a reliable engine rebuilder in so cal area, need a complete overhaul on my 5.2
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Dick Landy Industries? there are many great engine builders in SC.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
IMHO, I would just make sure you're using an engine builder that has gone through trials and tribulations of building a FPC 5.2. They're finicky and quite hard to get right. Nationally, I'd trust my engine with MPR Racing Engines in Florida (Tim built my motor) and RPG Racing Engines in Clovis, CA.

I don't personally have experience with RPG, but their work looks exceptional. Only one I'll personally vouch for is MPR because I and some buddies have direct experience with them and I know for a fact Tim has the kinks worked out on building 5.2 race motors.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Knowing the weak points of any engine is paramount with any rebuild. HB knows these engines so Iā€™d certainly take his advise and go with his recommendation. Shipping is a PITA but at least youā€™ll know itā€™s done right.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
We talked about this in another thread too (complications of the FPC motor) - I'm just curious what exactly is the difference between these and say a Boss 302 or other coyote-based engine, other than the crankshaft itself?

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
We talked about this in another thread too (complications of the FPC motor) - I'm just curious what exactly is the difference between these and say a Boss 302 or other coyote-based engine, other than the crankshaft itself?
The biggest issues I've personally seen are around the piston/ring package--I've seen a few builds now struggle with blowby and oil consumption as a result of a poorly developed piston/ring package. We've seen Ford struggle with this as well.

My understanding is a significant part of it comes from the interesting firing order and FPC creating abnormal crank case pressures, but this part isn't really my expertise. I lean on my builder for this part - it's been cheaper. ha

Last edited:

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
IMHO, I would just make sure you're using an engine builder that has gone through trials and tribulations of building a FPC 5.2. They're finicky and quite hard to get right. Nationally, I'd trust my engine with MPR Racing Engines in Florida (Tim built my motor) and RPG Racing Engines in Clovis, CA.

I don't personally have experience with RPG, but their work looks exceptional. Only one I'll personally vouch for is MPR because I and some buddies have direct experience with them and I know for a fact Tim has the kinks worked out on building 5.2 race motors.
RPG Racing is in Clovis? Wow I wish I payed them a visit before I left.

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Maybe Huffacker at Sears Point?

Kennysum1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Alfa Romeo Quadraflio, 2018 TT GT Prem, 22 GT
Ill do it for a 6 pack of natty ice. No warranty.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
Do you know anyone using them for road racing? I know a few that have been built, but haven't seen them really be put through the abuse yet on a road course.
thats a dam good question...but I do not, no.

I know that youtube kid used them on his 5.2 cross plane drag car and that thing sees lots of abuse

oughta put up a poll on them and what the cars are used for...