Sponsored

SCCA CAM-C Thread

danmit88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/Performance Package
I would not shy away from national or regional competition just because your parts have been judged inferior by internet experts.

Like, none of these CAM cars are fully prepared for the class (with maybe a few exceptions), and there is a lot to be learned from attending those events and growing the driver. Autox is still very much all about the driver, and not that much about the hardware. Yes, even in CAM.
I won't shy away from it. After finally doing a ProSolo in Toledo, I'm hooked and ready to do more. This are all great suggestions that I'll be thinking about while getting my car ready. Even if I'm running standard setup for these.
Sponsored

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Def jump in...I did.

danmit88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would not shy away from national or regional competition just because your parts have been judged inferior by internet experts.

Like, none of these CAM cars are fully prepared for the class (with maybe a few exceptions), and there is a lot to be learned from attending those events and growing the driver. Autox is still very much all about the driver, and not that much about the hardware. Yes, even in CAM.
Actually, if I had more time this week to get the car ready, I would have signed up for this weekend's CAM Challenge. Unfortunately, my right front shock that is on the car right now is done. My co-driver and I were finishing it off yesterday at our local event. With work and other activities, I probably won't be done installing the Pedders until late Saturday or early Sunday.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Actually, if I had more time this week to get the car ready, I would have signed up for this weekend's CAM Challenge.
Meant to suggest Peru - it's really fun, low key event for a National one, with lower participation that regular tour (and more run - that a lot of people like) it also isn't as exhausting.
Were you running S3 in Toledo ? We might have chatted in the CAM grid.

danmit88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Meant to suggest Peru - it's really fun, low key event for a National one, with lower participation that regular tour (and more run - that a lot of people like) it also isn't as exhausting.
Were you running S3 in Toledo ? We might have chatted in the CAM grid.
I was, and we did. I was asking what you have done to your car for CAM. It was great getting to talk to you out there.

Reactions: kz

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I don't know exactly which is the correct thread for this info, but here goes.

The Mustang GT4's in IMSA have 2 spring packages in their homologation. 700 & 750 #/in springs are legal on the front. 900 & 1000 #/in are legal on the rear of the car. It's important to clarify that this is as a coilover, not as a divorced spring. The engineer I spoke to thought they could probably run a little stiffer than an autocrosser could because of the tires and downforce they have.

I don't know if this info is directly applicable to anyone, but it's an interesting data point.

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I don't know exactly which is the correct thread for this info, but here goes.

The Mustang GT4's in IMSA have 2 spring packages in their homologation. 700 & 750 #/in springs are legal on the front. 900 & 1000 #/in are legal on the rear of the car. It's important to clarify that this is as a coilover, not as a divorced spring. The engineer I spoke to thought they could probably run a little stiffer than an autocrosser could because of the tires and downforce they have.

I don't know if this info is directly applicable to anyone, but it's an interesting data point.
700fr/900r works out to a ride freq of roughly 2.7xfr/2.5xr hz depending on weights and the equivalent of a 2200 lb-in rear spring in the factory location.

Did you get any info on sway bars? I'm curious that with such a high rear rate if there is any rear bar at all.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
700fr/900r works out to a ride freq of roughly 2.7xfr/2.5xr hz depending on weights and the equivalent of a 2200 lb-in rear spring in the factory location.

Did you get any info on sway bars? I'm curious that with such a high rear rate if there is any rear bar at all.
The front ~10% higher than the rear. Who would have thought? What motion ratios are you using?

I didn't ask about bars. They did say the car is damn close to stock. F & R subframes are straight from the factory. Apparently, the Multimatic dampers are a big deal (having ran them previously, I agree. They're the only option which equals an Ohlins) and the car has a pretty good aero package. They make about 425 HP in race trim.

I think I can find out more, but I didn't want to push.

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
The front ~10% higher than the rear. Who would have thought? What motion ratios are you using?

I didn't ask about bars. They did say the car is damn close to stock. F & R subframes are straight from the factory. Apparently, the Multimatic dampers are a big deal (having ran them previously, I agree. They're the only option which equals an Ohlins) and the car has a pretty good aero package. They make about 425 HP in race trim.

I think I can find out more, but I didn't want to push.
.48 for OEM spring location and .75 for the shock location. I 'borrowed' the formulas for the calculations from a google doc Brian posted years ago.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Did my first event on the MCS doubles. Took a few runs to get things dialed in, but had perhaps my best day driving.

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Sam has schooled everybody in Peru this weekend in a stock (I believe) Mach 1 - so the car is capable if driven right.

Sunday being I was only 0.7s off Sam's time (mine had a cone, clean one was another 0.3s slower) which is a result I couldn't even dream of - I know he had a car showing code and slowing down on Sunday though.

Advanced in the challenge to the round of 8 and got eliminated by Randy (being only 0.2s slower which again I would never ever dreamed of).

Awesome event, Raleigh really puts a lot of work in making it fun.

Given I am on soft springs with Magneride struts, and nowhere near all those guys driving skill wise, I'd say DSC + TeeLew's magic tunes for it make quite a bit of difference.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Let the games begin!

20210913_161650.jpg

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
What are we looking at?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
What are we looking at?
$20,000 shocks he found in the dumpster behind the paddock from the Cadillac prototype team.

Kidding...

Those are MR shocks transplanted into coilovers bodies.

Last edited:

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Yep. I've been blabbing on about them for a while. They're the GT350R Magneride struts turned into coil-overs. I just got them back from the machinist, so I gotta play show-&-tell. I guess I forgot the 'tell' part.
Sponsored