Save up for GT or keep Eco?

Ethanwalz11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost Premium Fastback
Hello all, I’m 16 and a mustang lover like all of you guys and I’ve got a 2018 eco. Premium with the black accent package. I drive it every day and it’s paid off so no issues there and it’s got 15k ish miles so far. I go to school and work pretty much all night after school most days and I’ve got a good chunk of money saved. Won’t get into exact numbers but it’s 5 grand plus on top of a decent amount of spending money. I have a job this year making like 500 ish dollars a month and I will work full time over the summer and make 4-5k ish. I love saving for concrete things because it helps motivate me to work harder. I’ve got the idea in my head of saving up and trading in my eco along with some cash and scooping a gen 3 coyote with 15-30k miles before the s650 comes out. Should I trade in for the GT or should I just hold onto the eco? Also, I’ve got college coming up but I’ve scored well enough on tests to get my instate cost down to about 10k a year which thankfully my parents are willing to help me with. Also FYI, I’m not trying to be ungrateful I’m just a massive mustang enthusiast and have been for all of my life so a mustang GT is sort of the ultimate dream car to me so the fact that it is even a theoretical possibility for me is surreal. Thanks so much and please keep all hate away
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ethanwalz11

Ethanwalz11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
Hello all, I’m 16 and a mustang lover like all of you guys and I’ve got a 2018 eco. Premium with the black accent package. I drive it every day and it’s paid off so no issues there and it’s got 15k ish miles so far. I go to school and work pretty much all night after school most days and I’ve got a good chunk of money saved. Won’t get into exact numbers but it’s 5 grand plus on top of a decent amount of spending money. I have a job this year making like 500 ish dollars a month and I will work full time over the summer and make 4-5k ish. I love saving for concrete things because it helps motivate me to work harder. I’ve got the idea in my head of saving up and trading in my eco along with some cash and scooping a gen 3 coyote with 15-30k miles before the s650 comes out. Should I trade in for the GT or should I just hold onto the eco? Also, I’ve got college coming up but I’ve scored well enough on tests to get my instate cost down to about 10k a year which thankfully my parents are willing to help me with. Also FYI, I’m not trying to be ungrateful I’m just a massive mustang enthusiast and have been for all of my life so a mustang GT is sort of the ultimate dream car to me so the fact that it is even a theoretical possibility for me is surreal. Thanks so much and please keep all hate away
Also, I would presumably still be employed if I trade in and I would pay monthly for insurance and gas so no worries there as wel

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Do yourself a favor and just keep what you have and wait until you're finished with school. Gatelock the GT behind getting your degree as a motivational reward. If you keep saving at your current rate, by the time you graduate you can probably just buy a Mach 1 outright which would be way more satisfying.

Insurance costs on the GT for a young person are astronomical as well, although at your age I'd assume you're on your parents policy.

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
Seriously good advice.

rangerryda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium A10
Vehicle Showcase
Keep what you have. You'd be throwing away a lot of money upgrading at your position in life. Additionally, if you're interested in an S550, wait until the S650 is already on the streets. There's always going to be an old guy who doesn't put mileage on his S550 and keeps it in the garage. Buy his car. You already have a very nice car.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium
Wow! Just when I had lost faith in the younger generation. Congratulations on your motivation. Keep the eco and get a 350 or 500 as a college graduation present.

Spartan1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Eruption Green GT 400A
Kudos on having your head on straight, at 16, that's impressive. I'd do what the above poster suggested, and at 16 that car is already about as good as it gets for that age. Has to be cool pulling in to the school parking lot in that Mustang.

OP
OP
Ethanwalz11

Ethanwalz11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
Do yourself a favor and just keep what you have and wait until you're finished with school. Gatelock the GT behind getting your degree as a motivational reward. If you keep saving at your current rate, by the time you graduate you can probably just buy a Mach 1 outright which would be way more satisfying.

Insurance costs on the GT for a young person are astronomical as well, although at your age I'd assume you're on your parents policy.
yeah that’s what I was thinking, I guess my mindset was just that I would probably be significantly impacted by the impractical side of the mustang as a newly graduated college student, but I guess that does make more sense. Thanks for the reply

OP
OP
Ethanwalz11

Ethanwalz11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
Keep what you have. You'd be throwing away a lot of money upgrading at your position in life. Additionally, if you're interested in an S550, wait until the S650 is already on the streets. There's always going to be an old guy who doesn't put mileage on his S550 and keeps it in the garage. Buy his car. You already have a very nice car.
That’s kinda what I was thinking, I think I worded wrong in the Original post. I’ll edit it rn. But I always see gts with 25k ish miles for like 31-34k which is not that much more than my car would be worth so it tempts me a lot lol. Thx for the advice tho, I’ll probably wait but I just wanted some advice.

OP
OP
Ethanwalz11

Ethanwalz11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
Wow! Just when I had lost faith in the younger generation. Congratulations on your motivation. Keep the eco and get a 350 or 500 as a college graduation present.
Lol thanks for the kind words, I figured I would get shit for being so young . Lol 500 would be a dream but I don’t know if I could have that as my only car out of college haha. I would be afraid to drive it

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
yeah that’s what I was thinking, I guess my mindset was just that I would probably be significantly impacted by the impractical side of the mustang as a newly graduated college student, but I guess that does make more sense. Thanks for the reply
I'm 28 and just got my first GT this year. Single with no kids? Super practical car. Even the gas mileage isn't that bad. The ecoboost is still the better daily driver though.

The thing with college is that it's all about delaying gratification. If you can't do it, you won't make it through. You will have many nights where you barely even have time to whack off because you're so deep in the books. So having something that you've promised yourself on the other side, something that gets you to do what's necessary to get to it, gives you a huge leg up on making things easier for yourself. Especially since most people struggle with abstract rewards like a degree and a career.

OP
OP
Ethanwalz11

Ethanwalz11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
Kudos on having your head on straight, at 16, that's impressive. I'd do what the above poster suggested, and at 16 that car is already about as good as it gets for that age. Has to be cool pulling in to the school parking lot in that Mustang.
It definitely is and I’m appreciative so I hope that didn’t get lost in my message somewhere. I just wanted to put my thoughts down to see how outrageous it sounds to everybody else. Thx for the advice

OP
OP
Ethanwalz11

Ethanwalz11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
I'm 28 and just got my first GT this year. Single with no kids? Super practical car. Even the gas mileage isn't that bad. The ecoboost is still the better daily driver though.

The thing with college is that it's all about delaying gratification. If you can't do it, you won't make it through. You will have many nights where you barely even have time to whack off because you're so deep in the books. So having something that you've promised yourself on the other side, something that gets you to do what's necessary to get to it, gives you a huge leg up on making things easier for yourself.
Lol I understand, great advice tho. I guess i could aim for a new s650 when I graduate, hopefully the 5.0 (or 5.2) is still being made with the s650, would be a real shame if ford decided to go eco friendly with the next mustang

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
By the time you graduate, you may find your tastes have changed quite a lot.

AGM2018

By the time you graduate, you may find your tastes have changed quite a lot.

Barl14 is correct; by the time you graduate, your tastes will probably change...and you may find yourself wanting a more refined "real sports" car like the Supra and the upcoming new Z car.
Sponsored