Sponsored

Safe & Smart Package

Are you adding the Safe & Smart Package?

• Yes

Votes: 31 38.8%
  • No

Votes: 49 61.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Most of the package is ok but I had a jeep cherokee one time as a loner I had to back into a tight spot so I opened the door to watch my side as soon as I started to back up the jeep set the brakes so I couldn't move. I don't want any nannies that has control of my brakes only bad sh*t can happen
Sponsored

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Idk if I'm a minority here but I think BLIS is useless compared to spotter mirrors...they are positioned so well in the car and instead of just a light, I can actual SEE what's on the blind spot.

Memory seating in this car was always silly to me because the setback recline is manual, you're paying for seat-bottom memory and only for the driver

ACC is wonderful, renders normal cruise control obsolete. Who cares if the car can hold speed when you always have cars around you, you'll always have to adjust
Interesting. The rentals I have driven with spotter mirrors drive me nuts. I feel like it is for people who don't know how to adjust the side mirrors properly. I have no blind spot with regular mirrors. You just need to adjust the mirrors so they look well outboard from neutral. I do it by moving my head well left (almost touching the window) and then adjust the mirror to barely see the side of the car. Repeat on the right. From head neutral you will have no blind spot.

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
In old postings of leaked info, the 18's were supposed to have lane keeping assist. The ford pricing site lists it as lane keeping alert. Someone on this thread said lane keep assist.

Which is it?

My understanding is that "lane keeping alert" BEEPS when you drift out of lane, while "lane keep assist" actively steers you back into the lane.

When I was shopping for wife's suv, 99% of dealers had no idea. I wanted the active steering (assist), and dealers that sold cars with lane keep alerts (only) kept telling me yes when I asked if it had lane keep assist.

The only dealers that knew the difference were ones that actually sold the assist systems (honda and volvo). But again, my take away was that "alert" beeps and does not correct.

Anyone know which one the 18 s550 has?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
My understanding is that "lane keeping alert" BEEPS when you drift out of lane, while "lane keep assist" actively steers you back into the lane.
Sorry, but I just can't imagine trusting a system that can actively take control of the steering from you (with little or no notice) to get it exactly right every single time.

Or that such a system can even understand that situations exist where you absolutely must drift at least partway out of your marked lane.

Norm

LightningBlue17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost, Lightning Blue
The BLIS is useful, we have a lot of traffic congestion here in NY. The other stuff I can do without. My wife has a lincoln MKX which in addition to the BLIS has the Adaptive Cruise Control and collision detection/brake assist system. We don't really use either of these.

It also has a feature where the headlights move with the steering wheel - now that's useful. It does improve night time visibility. Aside from the Tucker, I haven't seen other cars that have headlights like these.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
It also has a feature where the headlights move with the steering wheel - now that's useful. It does improve night time visibility. Aside from the Tucker, I haven't seen other cars that have headlights like these.
My 2013 Cadillac has them.

lowatts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Safe & Smart Package

Edit: $1495

Add
The Safe & Smart Package includes:
• Adaptive Cruise Control
• Auto High Beam
• BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with Cross-Traffic Alert
• Lane-Keeping Alert
• Memory: Driver Seat (three (3) settings), Mirrors and Ambient Lighting
• Pre-Collision Assist with Pedestrian Detection
– Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB)
– Forward Collision Warning with Brake Support
• Rain-Sensing Windshield Wipers
I have most of these in the Kia Sorento. I specifically wanted these in my car and had to pay quite a bit more than what Ford's charging here. Some of these things do take a little getting used to, and should not be used as replacement for driver attention and care, but for me they do make for a safer and more enjoyable driving experience.

Takes cruise control to its next logical step, in some cars this will even handle stopping and starting in stop and go traffic. In my Sorento, down side is the system doesn't react as fast as I would so it makes for slightly jerkier throttle and brake actions when it makes speed adjustments.

• Auto High Beam
I don't have this but would like it IF it reacts as fast as I would. I usually don't use high beams unless things got really dark just because I don't like flicking them on and off.

This is great, since I can't see around corners, I let the car's radar do it for me when backing out of parking spaces.

• Lane-Keeping Alert
I get beeped when I get too close to a lane line, it's not a loud beep, and I think in my Sorento the loudness is adjustable, and can be turned of completely. I would've liked not only Alert, but have Assist as well, since I had years ago fallen asleep behind the wheel while going about 65 in the high speed lane of an Interstate with medium traffic, drifted across three lanes and woked up by the noise of the car bouncing off the right hand guard rail. I've never dozed off before and didn't expect to then. This can happen to anyone who's ever driven when tired, and does happen quite a bit according to statistics, sometimes with deadly results. Some sort of lane alert or assist, especially with help from automatic braking, would help a lot here.

I would like this. I can manually readjust my seats, wheel, and mirrors of course, but especially with the seat it takes some fine tuning before I can get back to the most comfortable position after it's been moved.

These are now known to reduce collisions. I've read sometimes there are false activations, these can be annoying but not dangerous, and more than offset by their benefit.

I suspect most of the time this system would not activate the wipers in the way I would want them to--turning on or off too early or late. Where it would be good to have is when a car gets a lot of water splashed on it by an opposing vehicle hitting a big puddle. I had this happen to me once while going around a relatively sharp S curve going about 50. I was driving a '74 Olds 98 where the wiper contols are on the dash panel rather then a stalk near the driver's hands, it was night time and the splash completely blocked any vision out the windshield for a few seconds. Fortunately I found the wiper switch quickly and got the water off quickly. The stalk mounted controls we have today are much easier to find and use then dash mounted unlite switches, but for those unexpected big puddle splashes I'd still like to have automatic wipers.

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver '18 GT 400a PP1
Sorry, but I just can't imagine trusting a system that can actively take control of the steering from you (with little or no notice) to get it exactly right every single time.

Or that such a system can even understand that situations exist where you absolutely must drift at least partway out of your marked lane.

Norm
I went to dc last year for work and we had a Tahoe rental. I kept wondering why it was "difficult" to change lanes and why it felt like the suv was fighting against me. I realized it was lane assist. Stupid shit if you ask me. Thankfully was easy to turn off

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver '18 GT 400a PP1
The BLIS is useful, we have a lot of traffic congestion here in NY. The other stuff I can do without. My wife has a lincoln MKX which in addition to the BLIS has the Adaptive Cruise Control and collision detection/brake assist system. We don't really use either of these.

BMW has headlights that move. Rented a 650Li last spring in Cali and it would do it.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
That is correct.

Which is it?
All documentation so far says 'alert' so I'm pretty sure it's just a beep function.

A real active Lane Assist system is usually combined with an automatic parking function, that also requires the active steering component. At least that combination is what I see a lot here on European cars.

Sponsored

Excelerater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Safe & Smart Package

Add
• Auto High Beam
• Lane-Keeping Alert

I see some people love it and I some hate it. I’ve never driven in a vehicle with ACC, but I’ve used BLIS on a long trip and it was great. Memory seats and ambient lighting are great additions but should have been included with the premium or premium plus. All of these additions are assuredly worth the price thats being charged, but when faced with most of the additions that increase a theoretical build price it seems like one addition everyone is leaving out. What are y’all thoughts?

Too much BS...........
Its like going to the bathroom at a restaurant ,it flushes for me,it gives me soap and spits out a
paper towel. All things I did myself for decades ,now big corp things it's helping me
buy doing these things for me...Todays cars are way over thought out and guess what
wrecks are at an all time high......blame it on technology !

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Only thing I can't live without is the backup camera. :hail: :thumbsup:

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
Safe & Smart Package

Add
• Auto High Beam
• Lane-Keeping Alert

I see some people love it and I some hate it. I’ve never driven in a vehicle with ACC, but I’ve used BLIS on a long trip and it was great. Memory seats and ambient lighting are great additions but should have been included with the premium or premium plus. All of these additions are assuredly worth the price thats being charged, but when faced with most of the additions that increase a theoretical build price it seems like one addition everyone is leaving out. What are y’all thoughts?
These features are great for women, my wife's Lincoln has them.

stang-man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GTPP
I like: Memory: Driver Seat (three (3) settings), Mirrors and Ambient Lighting
You can keep the rest of the package

Why is this not part of the premium package ...

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
Rule of thumb is: If a car has a camera/radar tech package system, but does not brake to a complete stop for you, then that tech package is not worth it.

Even Chrysler's safetytec package will brake to a complete stop & parallel/perpendicular park for you as well.
Sponsored