Sponsored

Safe & Smart Package

Are you adding the Safe & Smart Package?

• Yes

Votes: 31 38.8%
  • No

Votes: 49 61.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Auto high beams? How would that even work?

Plus, unless you live in the deep backwoods, high beams aren't needed whatsoever.
Sponsored

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Been driving for 30+ years without any of the items listed and don't see a need for it now. The car is expensive enough that i wouldn't order it.
At one time we rode around in horses and buggies... I mean, we didn't NEED vehicles powered by gasoline engines. Just because you lived without features for 30 years does not mean they couldn't compliment your already IMPRESSIVE driving skills. Fact is, a computer can and will react a hell of a lot quicker than you and not EVERY moment are we fully aware of our surroundings, it just happens when we weren't there wasn't a situation which would cause an accident. I'm not saying we NEED them, but they don't hurt when you have them, unless you're Ford and charge an arm and leg when other manufactures make these things standard once you are in the premium price range.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Auto high beams? How would that even work?

Plus, unless you live in the deep backwoods, high beams aren't needed whatsoever.
Depends on the car. The 2016 Edge Sport I drove for a week with auto high beams basically kicked the high beams on anytime it was dark and there wasn't cars around. And then, it doesn't detect an oncoming car until it can detect actual headlights, whereas a human can detect the light coming around a corner for example and dim before the car itself is within view.

Reactions: Ebm

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
At one time we rode around in horses and buggies... I mean, we didn't NEED vehicles powered by gasoline engines. Just because you lived without features for 30 years does not mean they couldn't compliment your already IMPRESSIVE driving skills. Fact is, a computer can and will react a hell of a lot quicker than you and not EVERY moment are we fully aware of our surroundings, it just happens when we weren't there wasn't a situation which would cause an accident. I'm not saying we NEED them, but they don't hurt when you have them, unless you're Ford and charge an arm and leg when other manufactures make these things standard once you are in the premium price range.
It's not a huge deal and they don't "hurt" to have, but they can get annoying. Nobody is a perfect driver but I don't want alarm bells going off every time I don't slow down "enough" for a car turning off the road (the computers always think you're gonna rear end them), or every time I slightly graze the shoulder of the road.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Depends on the car. The 2016 Edge Sport I drove for a week with auto high beams basically kicked the high beams on anytime it was dark and there wasn't cars around. And then, it doesn't detect an oncoming car until it can detect actual headlights, whereas a human can detect the light coming around a corner for example and dim before the car itself is within view.
That's what I was wondering about. The detection. Thanks for the info.

Sponsored

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
for those wondering this package is $1495

hro0250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Ecoboost Premium
You could always save yourself the $1500 and not get the package and just add the specific features you want from it (like rain sensing wipers) with forscan

AgentAlex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
for those wondering this package is $1495
For the 2015 - 2017 cars, the adaptive cruise and rain sensing wipers option cost $1195. $1495 is a pretty good price for all the extra features you get with the "Safe and Smart" package.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Safe & Smart Package

Add
The Safe & Smart Package includes:
• Adaptive Cruise Control (neither of us even uses the 'regular' cruise control)

• Auto High Beam (we can handle this just fine, and we don't do as much night driving any more anyway)

• BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with Cross-Traffic Alert
• Lane-Keeping Alert
Every added 'alert' is one more momentary distraction if you take the time to chase down what it's alerting you to - especially if you're already taking appropriate action to what the alert is trying to warn you about. Of no use if you don't see a warning light because you're looking down the road or individually hear it as not being part of whatever music you've got playing.

• Memory: Driver Seat (three (3) settings), Mirrors and Ambient Lighting (we can take care of the first two ourselves just fine, and have no interest whatsoever in the third)

• Pre-Collision Assist with Pedestrian Detection
– Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB)
– Forward Collision Warning with Brake Support
The risk of such assists startling us into making a mistake should they occur are much larger than the risk of the poo they're trying to prevent happening without them. Never mind that OE calibrations for such things are likely to be set far too conservatively.

• Rain-Sensing Windshield Wipers (when either of us loses the connection between seeing raindrops on the windshield and the need to turn the wipers on, maybe that's one definition of it being time to stop driving)

What are y’all thoughts?
I've thought about this kind of thing from time to time, and they're not worth it to either of us.

Norm

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
The only option I'd be willing to pay for is BLIS, I have it and fit it useful. I would not pay $1500 for the rest of the stuff I would seldom use to get it thoug.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
At one time we rode around in horses and buggies... I mean, we didn't NEED vehicles powered by gasoline engines. Just because you lived without features for 30 years does not mean they couldn't compliment your already IMPRESSIVE driving skills.
To the extent that they can represent momentary distraction and get in the way, they're a detraction rather than advantage.

Separate from that - what do you suppose would happen when you get into your older car that does not have any given 'safety feature'? Your reactions are going to be at least a tick or two slower and less decisive because the new car will have you learning to rely on the car to do it for you.

Fact is, a computer can and will react a hell of a lot quicker than you and not EVERY moment are we fully aware of our surroundings, it just happens when we weren't there wasn't a situation which would cause an accident.
The computer is very quick at making its decisions. Whether they're entirely appropriate for the situation at hand or not.

I'm not saying we NEED them, but they don't hurt when you have them
Be careful with that line of thought. If you ever have a nanny intervene needlessly or some warning alarm go off when you know exactly why it did, you may come away with a slightly different point of view.

Norm

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
Never had this stuff until I got my 15. Now, having been exposed to them for two years I wouldnt be without them. Great tools to have available around here with all the mad traffic which is just getting worse by the day.

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
I love this system, drove a new Honda Accord which has a similar system the other day and it was pretty good. But the main reason I'm getting this is my 2018 Mustang will be my DD, not my track car (I have my 2016 Miata for that), so I would like to be comfortable and relaxed in the car, and that is also why I'm not getting Recaro seats since that will remove the cooled seats.

Roman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2013 Fusion
I'm a No with this. I might feel different if I ever had a car with these features, but I haven't so I don't know what I might be missing. I live in LA so rain sensing wipers are a waste. And I rarely use my regular-old highbeams. Also, no one will be driving my car but me so I don't need memory seats. My dad loves the adaptive cruise control on his car but I rarely use the cruise control I have now. BLIS sounds nice but, again, I have no experience. I'd rather save the money and use it for something else.

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
Idk if I'm a minority here but I think BLIS is useless compared to spotter mirrors...they are positioned so well in the car and instead of just a light, I can actual SEE what's on the blind spot.

Memory seating in this car was always silly to me because the setback recline is manual, you're paying for seat-bottom memory and only for the driver

ACC is wonderful, renders normal cruise control obsolete. Who cares if the car can hold speed when you always have cars around you, you'll always have to adjust
Sponsored