Sponsored

Safe & Smart Package

Are you adding the Safe & Smart Package?

• Yes

Votes: 31 38.8%
  • No

Votes: 49 61.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
These features are great for women, my wife's Lincoln has them.
Some women, maybe.

My wife might take the memory seat as a single, stand-alone option (she's maybe 5-1 and I'm about 5-10). But none of the other items or even the rest of that one line-item.

Norm

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
I have BLISS and love it but I will never accept automatic braking. Like it or not there are times in life when you need to hit something(one). I don't want a car stopping me.

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Package is actually a screaming value, that's a ton of tech for not much money at all.

I have 401a now and I'm not interested in going backwards in time. With these fastbacks, the rear cross traffic alert is awesome in crowded areas and parking lots. Like most here, I've been driving for a long time and while I don't "need" these things I also didn't "need" a cell phone before I had one, etc... so those type comments look terribly technophobic and short-sighted. The world is getting more crowded, there are more distracted drivers than ever before... a few bucks to help save me from them is worth it especially since all of the features are defeatable should I choose.

Stop being afraid of tech, that get-off-my-lawn shit is tired af.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
The cross traffic alert when backing out of the parking garage at my work is fantastic. I also love the blind spot monitoring. Just small things that further help even great drivers.

My Mazda 6 has the GT Premium package so I have the adaptive cruise, lane departure, and all those goodies. Sometimes the sensors can be a little too sensitive to a car turning right and sometimes brakes harder than necessary for the adaptive cruise, but other than that, the tech is amazing. I work in IT so change is something I embrace daily.

Sponsored

hro0250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Ecoboost Premium
Seriously though.. If you'd rather save the money thats cool, but technology has its place in the modern car, its not 1962 anymore. People complained when seat-belts and ABS first came out too... My car has all the nannies, all of which can be easily turned off, but the times they have saved my ass in the split second I wasn't paying attention justifies the price. Hell of a lot cheaper than an insurance claim...

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Stop being afraid of tech, that get-off-my-lawn shit is tired af.
So is that same old "just let the technology do it so you don't have to" shit.

It's demeaning and insulting for people who don't know a thing about other peoples' driving to keep hammering away like nobody on the planet can possibly be any more competent at driving than a newbie driver 6 months into his first driver's license.

If I'm afraid of anything, it's the momentary distractions caused by these technologies while I'm doing a decent enough job all by myself. What are you nanny-conscious guys going to do if you get two different alerts at the exact same time?

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The cross traffic alert when backing out of the parking garage at my work is fantastic.
So why not try backing into the spot? I've been doing that consistently ever since minivans started showing up. As in, before SUVs came about and pickup trucks got popular. It's not a tricky solution that demands a near-genius IQ to come up with.

Seriously, don't people even try to make things a little easier for themselves, all by themselves?

Seriously though.. If you'd rather save the money thats cool, but technology has its place in the modern car, its not 1962 anymore. People complained when seat-belts and ABS first came out too...
It's not about the money, and FWIW I've been wearing seatbelts since before I got my first license (wore them in any car that had them, and I've had my license since well before they were made mandatory in 1968).

You might be interested to know that there are a few situations that ABS - arguably the most mature driver assist technology - still doesn't understand very well (and probably never will). I'm not speaking out against ABS here (it's really good at preventing you from flatspotting expensive tires), merely identifying that even that one has an observable limitation or two.

Norm

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
Side note: I assume if you pick Recaros, you're going to lose all the nice electric stuff with the normal Premium seats!!?

Pisses me off that I don't have memory seats with my Recaros! >:(

Besides loosing seat ventilation (& heating), electric positioning, I also lost memory seats!

Next car I won't get Recaros just b/c of all of the things that go away with selecting them. It's ashamed b/c I LOVE the way they look, and I really like the way they hug my body in turns.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
So why not try backing into the spot? I've been doing that consistently ever since minivans started showing up. As in, before SUVs came about and pickup trucks got popular. It's not a tricky solution that demands a near-genius IQ to come up with.

Seriously, don't people even try to make things a little easier for themselves, all by themselves?

Norm
I don't see the need to back into a parking spot when I'm not driving a truck especially when other cars are either coming at you or waiting on you while you pull in. I don't want to be that guy. Backing in or pulling in forward, it's still not possible to see around a truck or SUV. You still have to creep out slowly which is where the cross traffic kicks in. It's already telling me someone's coming BEFORE I can even see them. That's better than any human can do.

Have I backed into these spots before? Yes. Why not praise good technology when it saves us all time? We're in an age where "Aint no one got time fo dat" unfortunately.

Sponsored

hro0250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Ecoboost Premium
Its obvious that haven't extensively driven a modern car that has all the alerts if you think they're a bull horn or something.. the forward collision warning flashes a small strip of leds and slightly lowers the music volume to sound the "door open" chime. Its not a siren with a million flashing lights or it would cause the very accident it was trying to HELP prevent.

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
The cross traffic alert when backing out of the parking garage at my work is fantastic. I also love the blind spot monitoring. Just small things that further help even great drivers.

My Mazda 6 has the GT Premium package so I have the adaptive cruise, lane departure, and all those goodies. Sometimes the sensors can be a little too sensitive to a car turning right and sometimes brakes harder than necessary for the adaptive cruise, but other than that, the tech is amazing. I work in IT so change is something I embrace daily.
The cross traffic alert is nice, it's saved me from a few fender benders.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I don't see the need to back into a parking spot when I'm not driving a truck especially when other cars are either coming at you or waiting on you while you pull in.
They're either going to have to wait for you to back in or somebody else is going to have to wait for you to finish backing out once you're out far enough. I don't see any difference there.

Yes, you still drive out slowly. But visibility isn't a problem unless you're driving something like an XKE Jaguar with that really long hood. And if I have to wait a few seconds for somebody to cross in front of me, it's never been a big deal. Turning traffic normally must yield to traffic already running in the lane, right? Street or parking lot doesn't matter here.

Have I backed into these spots before? Yes. Why not praise good technology when it saves us all time?
Being in a hurry has never been an acceptable excuse before.

Before you bless it as being "good technology", do consider that every time you ease the need to pay attention or make the appropriate control inputs, you're mentally distancing yourself a little further from where your head should be at for good driving generally.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Post some videos to educate people:

parking-stall-lines-safety-signage.jpg
While it's true you won't always be able to back in, that's no reason for not doing so when you can. In your angle-parking picture, you actually have a better rearward/upstream view than you do with 90° parking.

Planning ahead might also take the form of not parking with a large vehicle on your upstream side, even if that means you've got to walk a little further to get to the door. Or is planning ahead something else we're supposed to leave to "technology"?

Norm
Sponsored