Sponsored

Ford Safe & Smart Package - What are your Thougths

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
I see that you are referring to 2015-2017 models. Sorry I didn't notice before. I am not sure what changed but on 2018+ models, ACC can be retained with the Roush system. This is from my Roush dealer:

Bruce,

We just heard back from ROUSH and the Adaptive Cruise is fine with the new tune on the 2018 Supercharged Mustangs, so I wanted to get out a quick update on our Performance Mustang Programs for 2018.
Interesting! I always assumed it worked fine with superchargers unless you got a kit that changed out the front bumper. Regardless, good to know it def works now. A supercharger may be in my future once the Ford warranty is over.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Those who find lane keeping intrusive, that means you're not using your turn signal and you're part of the problem.
Not necessarily. Intrusive is a person's interpretation what any of these nannies feel like when they intervene, regardless of what you're doing (or not doing) about the situation. If a human passenger reached over and did the same kinds of things, you'd want to either smack them or make them walk the rest of the way.

Do you signal a lane change on a highway when there is no other car in sight either ahead of or behind you, and there's a reason you need to leave the lane you're in? Do you signal when pulling out to pass another vehicle on a two or three lane secondary road? What about unusually narrow lanes in construction zones, where there might even be multiple sets of lane markings?

Norm

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Not necessarily. Intrusive is a person's interpretation what any of these nannies feel like when they intervene, regardless of what you're doing (or not doing) about the situation. If a human passenger reached over and did the same kinds of things, you'd want to either smack them or make them walk the rest of the way.
In the lowest (and stock) setting it only intervenes if you actually are on or go over the line. In my father’s Acura, if you get anywhere near the line it audibly beeps and is ridiculously annoying unless you are dead center at all times.

Do you signal a lane change on a highway when there is no other car in sight either ahead of or behind you, and there's a reason you need to leave the lane you're in?
Yes, out of habit and muscle memory.

Do you signal when pulling out to pass another vehicle on a two or three lane secondary road?
Yes.

What about unusually narrow lanes in construction zones, where there might even be multiple sets of lane markings?
Going into a poorly marked construction zone is when I tap the physical button on the turn signal stock to disable it until I’m out if I notice it’s having a hard time distinguishing the lines correctly (you do not need to go through countless menus like most cars). However, this is very rare as the system in my 2019 does an incredibly good job of automatically disabling itself when it cannot distinguish lines and/or is seeing multiple.

Honest question: have you driven a 2018+ Mustang with properly configured (lowest settings) adaptive cruise and lane keep assist? How much time behind the wheel did you have with it? Are you basing your arguments from others and/or another car’s system?

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Hahaha, some of the posts here are hysterical. :crackup:

So I've done some mountain climbing, surfed 25 foot seas, scuba'd, was a lifeguard (performed a couple of nasty rescues), was a prolific BMX rider and skater including massive mountain runs, waded into brawls, have attended dozens of track events, including a couple of top end mile runs ...

... but suggest wanting some convenience and safety features are you're a p****. :crazy:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Hahaha, some of the posts here are hysterical. :crackup:

So I've done some mountain climbing, surfed 25 foot seas, scuba'd, was a lifeguard (performed a couple of nasty rescues), was a prolific BMX rider and skater including massive mountain runs, waded into brawls, have attended dozens of track events, including a couple of top end mile runs ...

... but suggest wanting some convenience and safety features are you're a p****. :crazy:
So true. Some people want to be in 100% control 100% of the time. They need no one or nothing, especially if it’s electronic and in a car. My Father in Law is like that. Of course even the most hard core can be enlightened. My FiL loves my Mustang and is intrigued by all the bells & whistles including S&S.

Sponsored

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
When I was about 22 I fell asleep behind the wheel on a dark stretch of highway going about 60 mph with the cruise set. I crossed to the the other side of the highway through the oncoming lane and hit the opposite shoulder. As soon as I hit the shoulder I awoke and managed to keep the vehicle from taking the ditch. It scared the ever living $hit out of me! So in the end nothing bad happened except for my underwear lol. Since I got the S&S I've often thought how it could have saved my bacon that night & that is the main reason I choose to use it for night driving just in case as I have never forgotten that experience. I figure better safe than sorry :)

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Blis isn't meant to alert you to approaching cars. The point of blis is to inform you about the car next to you that you might not have seen approaching.
I guess that's just mirror checking discipline on my part. Most people drive with their side mirrors in way too far. I set my side mirrors so that as a vehicle in an adjacent lane leaves the centre mirror it appears in the side mirror. By the time it is leaving the side mirror it is already far enough up my side that I see it in my peripheral vision. If you don't set your mirrors like this, try it and see just how much extra vision your mirrors provide you with. I will agree, though, that the BLIS probably helps when you're on a major multi lane highway and someone comes in at you from a third lane. A shoulder check should pick that up if your mirrors don't.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Here's a little snippet from a newsletter item that landed in my inbox only this morning.
Toyota believes a teammate concept is just as applicable to future automobiles. As ever more artificial intelligence, drive-by-wire systems, and other autonomous technologies spider into cars, there will inevitably be a tendency to feel divorced from it all, to surrender to the tech.
Sorry if I can't equate that with enjoying the drive.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Honest question: have you driven a 2018+ Mustang with properly configured (lowest settings) adaptive cruise and lane keep assist? How much time behind the wheel did you have with it? Are you basing your arguments from others and/or another car’s system?
Honest answer to #1 - I don't ever use any cruise control. If I'm having that much trouble maintaining pace or following distance, maybe it's time for me to take a little break. Having to do all of one's own throttle control really isn't the hardship that so many other people apparently make it out to be, and it does tend to keep your focus a little closer to, you know, driving. And keeps your right foot in a better place for getting to the brake pedal should that become necessary.

Side note, between the holidays my wife and I took a trip to be with family, that ran about 800 miles round trip. It never even occurred to me that the car I was driving (the WRX in my sig) had cruise control. To think about it now while composing this reply, I realize that my car is supposed to have it, but once I get in the car it could be inop or completely removed and I'd never know the difference.

Honest answer to #2 - no experience. What you need to know here is that I don't tolerate having my car decide to make its own control inputs. When that has happened, and it has for various things in various cars, it's always come as at least a mild surprise that clearly distracts me at least momentarily. Don't need that in my driving, don't want it, and I know for a fact that I'd be butting heads with the LKA in certain driving situations not yet mentioned.

As far as those two features are concerned, my driving record is 100% perfect without either of them. All 56+ years of it. There just isn't anything there for those features to improve upon. I do think you owe me a little more credit for being able to relate previous experiences that I have had or been through to those that I have not. At least to the point of being able to anticipate how I might react to their intervention.

These are my thoughts on the S&S package. I don't expect everybody to agree with them any more than other people should expect me to agree with theirs.

Norm

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
A shoulder check should pick that up if your mirrors don't.
I hate the word should. Your right of course, but I would counter with “what if?” I have Bliss and my wife doesn’t. I like having it. And yes I learned to push my mirrors out years ago. It may take awhile to get used to it but it is something everyone “should” :) do.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Honest answer to #1 - I don't ever use any cruise control. If I'm having that much trouble maintaining pace or following distance, maybe it's time for me to take a little break. Having to do all of one's own throttle control really isn't the hardship that so many other people apparently make it out to be, and it does tend to keep your focus a little closer to, you know, driving. And keeps your right foot in a better place for getting to the brake pedal should that become necessary.

Side note, between the holidays my wife and I took a trip to be with family, that ran about 800 miles round trip. It never even occurred to me that the car I was driving (the WRX in my sig) had cruise control. To think about it now while composing this reply, I realize that my car is supposed to have it, but once I get in the car it could be inop or completely removed and I'd never know the difference.

Honest answer to #2 - no experience. What you need to know here is that I don't tolerate having my car decide to make its own control inputs. When that has happened, and it has for various things in various cars, it's always come as at least a mild surprise that clearly distracts me at least momentarily. Don't need that in my driving, don't want it, and I know for a fact that I'd be butting heads with the LKA in certain driving situations not yet mentioned.

As far as those two features are concerned, my driving record is 100% perfect without either of them. All 56+ years of it. There just isn't anything there for those features to improve upon. I do think you owe me a little more credit for being able to relate previous experiences that I have had or been through to those that I have not. At least to the point of being able to anticipate how I might react to their intervention.

These are my thoughts on the S&S package. I don't expect everybody to agree with them any more than other people should expect me to agree with theirs.

Norm
Norm your thoughts and comments are always welcome. But....the only people who can comment on the value of S&S are those you either have it or those who have used it on a Mustang. It’s like asking how a Ford GT drives. Unless you have driven one how could you effectively answer that question?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
So true. Some people want to be in 100% control 100% of the time. They need no one or nothing, especially if it’s electronic and in a car. My Father in Law is like that. Of course even the most hard core can be enlightened. My FiL loves my Mustang and is intrigued by all the bells & whistles including S&S.
That at least a mild correlation with 'generation' could exist here would not surprise me at all. The older you are, the longer your driving history without any of today's electronic "assistances", and the more comfortable you're likely to be without them.

Norm

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
Just an fyi for anyone with ACC who wants to do an Edelbrock supercharger:

Adaptive cruise control does function with our kit.”

Sincerely,

Tony Avina

Edelbrock Supercharger Technical Support

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Norm your thoughts and comments are always welcome. But....the only people who can comment on the value of S&S are those you either have it or those who have used it on a Mustang. It’s like asking how a Ford GT drives. Unless you have driven one how could you effectively answer that question?
Thanks.

I have no problem admitting that there are limits to what I can project based on my own experiences. The Ford GT would be outside mine, as I don't have nearly enough experience driving anything even remotely similar (I do have a non-zero but truly miniscule amount of seat time in decently powerful mid-engine cars). But that's a couple orders of magnitude more complicated than predicting my response to the behavior of a different sort of advanced driver assistance system (ADAS) than what I've already had a little experience with.

Keep in mind that I'm not commenting on the value of adaptive cruise beyond questioning why anybody should feel an actual need to use it at all (and risk distancing themselves a little from driving in general, which I consider to be a moderate negative at best).

I do know for a fact that I am going to notice any ADAS intervention and that it's going to annoy me if/when it happens, and that's a clear negative in my book.

Basically, my thoughts here amount to nobody's S&S package holding much value for us, and we've both got the driving records to support holding that opinion. She's only been driving for ~50 years, if that matters.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Maybe the only way I can answer this is to say that while I can't make a value judgement of S&S for you or anybody else, I certainly can do so for myself. Where your value judgement, those of others, and mine have equal applicability to yourself, others, and me respectively.

Anybody else can take all of the opinions and value judgements here and decide for themselves where they're comfortable.

Norm
Sponsored