RLCA bearings with Vertical end links?

crcpdx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Still trying to wrap my head around how they interact, but wouldn't adding RLCA bearings when I already have BMR end links be Overkill? Also I have a pp1 car, is that an upgrade over the base bearing?
Sponsored

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
Vertical links, toe link bearings, and RLCA bearings are unrelated except that they are all components of the rear suspension. From the factory, the RLCA mates with the subframe at two points; one is a bearing and the other is a bushing. The aftermarket BMR/Steeda RLCA bearings replace these bushings (one per side). From the factory, the toe link on PP cars has a bearing in the link itself and a bushing where it mates with the spindle. The aftermarket FRPP bearing replaces the bushing in the spindle (again, one per side). Stock vertical links have bushings on both ends, where it meets the RLCA and where it meets the spindle. Aftermarket options are available with bearings. I personally run Steeda RLCA bearings, FRPP toe bearings, and stock vertical links. The RLCA/toe bearing install is not easy, especially the RLCA portion because you have to take the whole rear suspension apart in order to get to them.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
The end links and RLCA bearing are not really related at all. The bearing is a big upgrade, yes.

OP
OP

crcpdx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vertical links, toe link bearings, and RLCA bearings are unrelated except that they are all components of the rear suspension. From the factory, the RLCA mates with the subframe at two points; one is a bearing and the other is a bushing. The aftermarket BMR/Steeda RLCA bearings replace these bushings (one per side). From the factory, the toe link on PP cars has a bearing in the link itself and a bushing where it mates with the spindle. The aftermarket FRPP bearing replaces the bushing in the spindle (again, one per side). Stock vertical links have bushings on both ends, where it meets the RLCA and where it meets the spindle. Aftermarket options are available with bearings. I personally run Steeda RLCA bearings, FRPP toe bearings, and stock vertical links. The RLCA/toe bearing install is not easy, especially the RLCA portion because you have to take the whole rear suspension apart in order to get to them.
Thanks for the response. I guess my thinking was I have shock mounts, and end links to minimize deflection and cradle lock outs to keep the rear from flexing. You still think I'll see enough of a benefit? To your point when I saw what a pita the install is, I started talking myself out of it.

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
The RLCA bearings definitely help keep the rear end planted and predictable but I don’t blame people that don’t want to do it because of the labor involved. I think a good set of shocks and struts and a steeda or bmr cradle lockout kit Is good enough for most people. The toe bearing helps with predictability too and it isn’t terribly difficult to install because the spindle comes out pretty easily and you can usually get away with using a rented bearing press to do the job. The RLCA bearings typically require a hydraulic press and/or a sawzall.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
The RLCA bearings definitely help keep the rear end planted and predictable but I don’t blame people that don’t want to do it because of the labor involved. I think a good set of shocks and struts and a steeda or bmr cradle lockout kit Is good enough for most people. The toe bearing helps with predictability too and it isn’t terribly difficult to install because the spindle comes out pretty easily and you can usually get away with using a rented bearing press to do the job. The RLCA bearings typically require a hydraulic press and/or a sawzall.
Yeah, if your goals are extremely predictable handling when powering out of a corner, or spinning wheels in a straight line... the RLCA bearings and the toe bearing are the big wins. The car slide super predictably with those parts with no residual wobble.

If you just want to kill wheel hop, other parts (with easier installs) may suffice. We did my RLCA bearings with large dedicated bearing screw tool after the 2-ton hydraulic press was completely ineffective. The smaller toe bearings are definitely easier.

OP
OP

crcpdx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Yeah, if your goals are extremely predictable handling when powering out of a corner, or spinning wheels in a straight line... the RLCA bearings and the toe bearing are the big wins. The car slide super predictably with those parts with no residual wobble.

If you just want to kill wheel hop, other parts (with easier installs) may suffice. We did my RLCA bearings with large dedicated bearing screw tool after the 2-ton hydraulic press was completely ineffective. The smaller toe bearings are definitely easier.
My goals are to have a well rounded sports car. Not great at anything but good at everything. Run mid/ low tens at the strip but still be able to throw it into some corners on my back roads. I did order fp track shocks/struts and BMR handling springs, along with steeda roll center bump steer and j and m shock mounts. Just want to make sure that's enough since I've dropped the rear 3 times now and would like to be done with it.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
My goals are to have a well rounded sports car. Not great at anything but good at everything. Run mid/ low tens at the strip but still be able to throw it into some corners on my back roads. I did order fp track shocks/struts and BMR handling springs, along with steeda roll center bump steer and j and m shock mounts. Just want to make sure that's enough since I've dropped the rear 3 times now and would like to be done with it.
SP083 + FP dampers + Steeda roll center correction arms is killer setup. You'd be very hard pressed to beat that on the street and as an all rounder with a handling focus. Ask me how I know.

OP
OP

crcpdx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Lol, I know I read a lot of the post. That's why I chose this set up to start and hopefully finish

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Lol, I know I read a lot of the post. That's why I chose this set up to start and hopefully finish
Well... you chose the right path my friend. Get it right the first time. You went straight to the top, man. For a budget-minded setup (and possibly slightly beyond), there's nothing better in my view.
I am on the same springs and dampers (plus a lot of other stuff I've chosen) and I enjoy driving my car, without having to constantly tinker with it. It just feels right.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yup good choices on springs and shocks and the roll center kit. You'll have a killer handling car.

The RLCA bearings are a bitch to install. I wouldn't have done them but I had a torn stock rubber bushing in there, so I needed to do some surgery anyway. I'd consider the change optional, and the install is a real bitch, but its noticeable if you elect to do it (at least it was noticeable in my car versus one stock and one torn stock rubber LCA bushing). The difference might be detectable at the strip, but you're not going to notice on the back roads unless you're really hooning it, which of course nobody here ever does ... am I right?

If you do the RLCA bearing, do the Ford Performance toe link bearing too. If you elect to skip the RLCA bearing, nobody here who has done it themselves will blame you. I destroyed a control arm attempting it (heat and tempered aluminum don't mix), and had to buy a replacement while the car sat broken on the lift.

Radiation Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost PP Manual Recaro
... I destroyed a control arm attempting it (heat and tempered aluminum don't mix), and had to buy a replacement while the car sat broken on the lift.
Been there, done that, on other cars. That's why I'm cautious on implementing self installed mods on this car.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
but you're not going to notice on the back roads unless you're really hooning it, which of course nobody here ever does ... am I right?
Ask @Bluemustang about River road outside Rockville. Apparently it's a tiny piece of Mexican sovereign territory.