Resonator delete, tips and tricks...

Broid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
I'm about to do the resonator delete on my 2020 GT350. (With my cousin who actually knows how to work on cars) I've read tons of stuff on this here, but thought I'd start a thread asking you, who have already done it, to post your tips and tricks, the things you learned by doing it, what can you pass on to a resonator delete neophyte about it? Tips? Tricks? Warnings?
Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
I'm about to do the resonator delete on my 2020 GT350. (With my cousin who actually knows how to work on cars) I've read tons of stuff on this here, but thought I'd start a thread asking you, who have already done it, to post your tips and tricks, the things you learned by doing it, what can you pass on to a resonator delete neophyte about it? Tips? Tricks? Warnings?
To prevent cutting into your under carriage silver heat insulation and damaging other under car stuff.
- I would recommend to mark your exhaust for the cuts as per the directions
2: I would then unclamp the resonator from your forward exhaust, lower/remove exhaust, then make your cuts which will be straight and even. Cutting exhaust on car makes this very hard to do.
Good Luck

SchnellGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
^ that looks like a pretty cool solution to a jumpy sawzall. Why is this the first Iā€™ve heard of this? Maybe others are more talented with their electric saws than I am!

Actually the fine print says ā€˜not for use with stainlessā€™ is that an issue?

Sponsored

Whitest Russian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
^ that looks like a pretty cool solution to a jumpy sawzall. Why is this the first Iā€™ve heard of this? Maybe others are more talented with their electric saws than I am!

I'm sure there are models available that can handle stainless.

Also, you can check these out from your local Autozone, O'Reilly's, ect

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
I had posted this in a prior "resonator delete" thread:

I went the simple route. I found a good muffler shop that had done plenty of resonator deletes, and had them cut the resonators out and weld in straight pipes in their place.
Essentially, I now have the "R" exhaust I believe. The factory X-pipe remains in place as you can see:
img_4050-jpg.jpg

img_4052-jpg.jpg

img_4053-jpg.jpg

img_4054-jpg.jpg

img_4056-jpg.jpg

The guy charged me $150.00 and his welds looked top notch.

CarbonZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Measure 3 times put on a face shield, hearing protection, and sawzall away. File up the edges, bolt the new one on.

Those pipe clamp cutter things work but will take you about 30mins and a lot of swearing per cut on stainless. At least that's my past experience.

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, Kona Blue, J3116

This is the exact tool I used to install my Corsa double-helix. Worked great. Nice clean straight cut. I didn't exactly time it, but it for sure was less than 5min per cut. I wasn't in a hurry.

Like cutting any other tube in this fashion, the trick is to not try to cut through all at once. Apply just enough pressure to score the surface and work your way around. Then repeat with a bit more pressure as you go.

It probably wouldn't work on 304 or 316 stainless, but the OEM pipes on this car are 409 and a bit softer. 409 has significantly less chromium and nickel so it doesn't have near the hardness.

VoodooIdo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2020 Turbo GT350 and 93 Supercharged Lightning
This is what I used. It is like Vise-Grips so you can adjust tension as you cut. Nice fast cut. I would lend it to you but shipping from Illinois to California is probably not reasonable.

989FE629-F622-48C3-8B7C-023D0C7EE4E0.jpeg

Sponsored

brokenblinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2012 Leaf daily
I used a sawzall under the car on jackstands and it worked just fine. Used a multi tool to clean up the cuts.

OP
OP
Broid

Broid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
This is what I used. It is like Vise-Grips so you can adjust tension as you cut. Nice fast cut. I would lend it to you but shipping from Illinois to California is probably not reasonable.

989FE629-F622-48C3-8B7C-023D0C7EE4E0.jpeg
True, but if you're in the neighborhood, drop me a line!

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
I used a sawzall under the car on jackstands and it worked just fine. Used a multi tool to clean up the cuts.
sameā€¦..took me 30min to install on the 350

the 500ā€¦.that shit sucked

Morphy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
GT350, SHO, Lightning. Pantera, 68 CJ Mustang
Measure 3 times put on a face shield, hearing protection, and sawzall away. File up the edges, bolt the new one on.

Those pipe clamp cutter things work but will take you about 30mins and a lot of swearing per cut on stainless. At least that's my past experience.
I had posted this in a prior "resonator delete" thread:

I went the simple route. I found a good muffler shop that had done plenty of resonator deletes, and had them cut the resonators out and weld in straight pipes in their place.
Essentially, I now have the "R" exhaust I believe. The factory X-pipe remains in place as you can see:
img_4050-jpg.jpg

img_4052-jpg.jpg

img_4053-jpg.jpg

img_4054-jpg.jpg

img_4056-jpg.jpg

The guy charged me $150.00 and his welds looked top notch.

Morphy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
GT350, SHO, Lightning. Pantera, 68 CJ Mustang
Hey dpAtlanta, great pictures! I like the way you did your delete. Did the muffler shop open up both ends of the two pipes to slip them over the OEM pipes then weld? Curious why you did not remove the heat shield from the back portion of the OEM pipe to prevent rattling, and/ or reweld the entire heat shield back on the deleted portion? Have you seen any performance issues, loss of HP/torque? How's the tone comparison (before and after)? Any droning at cruising speed? I was going to do my delete using a replacement 3" X pipe but now I might go the route you have taken.
Sponsored