RESONATOR DELETE QUESTION............................

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I wholeheartedly agree about cats/heat. I've heard through the grapevine about what Lund witnessed when tuning their own GT500.

My comments about a shield on a resonator delete pipe aren't meant to scare anyone away. I just happen to look at a given part in terms of how optimized it may be. The difference with a resonator delete on the GT500 vs that of the GT's or GT350's you commented on is the fact that they don't come with a CF shaft and the GT500 does, hence the additional shield protection. Having experience with fiber shafts and the bonding agents sometimes used (in this case a fiber tube pressed onto "splined" ends) I think it fair to be aware of how excessive heat can potentially weaken or destroy a perfectly good driveshaft either over time or in short order. Again, dynamic temperature readings at or near the shaft with the res delete pipe/resonator pipe in place would be interesting to see. Never hurts to verify with data instead of even common sense assumptions at times. Sometimes the results are surprising.

On edit...just a data point. While not the OEM CF shaft, I respect the units coming from QA1 and even had one on my GT350. Very well engineered. They were good to talk to about the adhesives they use and their respective operating ranges. From their FAQ page on their CF shafts...

What is the operating temperature range?
It depends on the resin and structural adhesive that’s used. We currently have one system developed with a maximum temp rating of about 200°F. We have developed another that is good to about 320°F.
Big delta between 200 and 320. Ford was sourcing their lay up tubes from Toray on the '13/'14 GT500 but I'm not sure who they are sourcing them from on the '20. Regardless, the construction is no doubt very similar. Some were concerned about damage from debris but I think it fair to say that hasn't been an issue. I'll be honest, I haven't seen damage to an OEM Ford CF shaft that was attributed solely to heat to date and admit that my own concern may lie at the outer fringe. In addition, I'll likely add a resonator delete to my own GT500 and really like what I see from you.

Last edited:
OP
OP

ChuckXX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2020 SHELBY GT 500
Here are a couple of videos I recorded on the same road before and after the resonator delete on my '16 GT350. This might give you a better idea of what the delete does.

Before

After

I agree!
THANK YOU A MILLION TIMES OVER. I do have a question for you. On the "resonator delete" video when you backed off of it I heard a "gurgling" sound. Is that normal??? You have to listen carefully but it definitely is there. As far as actual "loudness" I could tell a "slight difference" but I wouldn't say it was alot. Of course everybody hears, smells, and tastes things differently. Thank you again. You guys are all so truly GREAT.

mmm635

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
THANK YOU A MILLION TIMES OVER. I do have a question for you. On the "resonator delete" video when you backed off of it I heard a "gurgling" sound. Is that normal??? You have to listen carefully but it definitely is there. As far as actual "loudness" I could tell a "slight difference" but I wouldn't say it was alot. Of course everybody hears, smells, and tastes things differently. Thank you again. You guys are all so truly GREAT.
Yes, that is normal when you barely press the throttle. Apparently, the resonators mask that gurgling sound because my '17 GT350R had it from the factory.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Only negative is if your local tracks have noise restrictions. On my resonator deleted GT350 I got noise warnings at both Sonoma and Laguna Seca.
Saves a little weight is a fact. Sounds better is in the ear of the beholder. Stating that it sounds better is just a sales pitch, no real fact to that.
Resonator save a little weight, cats saves a lot of weight.

With the 4 mode exhaust, you will be fine with a delete of any kind, res or cat. Mines LOUD in track, and whisper quiet in quiet, and normal in well, normal and sport.
Ill link videos in my thread

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I got noise warnings at both Sonoma and Laguna Seca.
Kimbo: No kidding...a noise warning at a RACE TRACK?! What's the world coming to?

Same situation occurring in the aviation world with cities wanting less and less noise. Airlines can be fined if the wrong microphone picks you up and thinks you're "too loud."

Kimbo510

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Kimbo: No kidding...a noise warning at a RACE TRACK?! What's the world coming to?

Same situation occurring in the aviation world with cities wanting less and less noise. Airlines can be fined if the wrong microphone picks you up and thinks you're "too loud."
Annoying as hell at both since the tracks were there before the houses. Adding insult to injury the 350 in silent mode doesn’t work well when you put the pedal to the floor. Would be nice if this changes with the 500. I don’t plan on deleting the resonators unless the exhaust can stay in quite mode at full throttle.

mmm635

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Annoying as hell at both since the tracks were there before the houses. Adding insult to injury the 350 in silent mode doesn’t work well when you put the pedal to the floor. Would be nice if this changes with the 500. I don’t plan on deleting the resonators unless the exhaust can stay in quite mode at full throttle.
Yep. I got taken off at Road Atlanta in my R.

NCM in Bowling Green is constantly measuring sound because the local residents are extremely anal - they measure and call in complaints constantly. The track officials even provide equipment at the track to slap on your car in order to reduce the levels.

Blackslax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 10 speed with long tube headers and H-pipe, 1978 Yamaha 1100
If you want the throaty sound, get an H-pipe, not the X-pipe.

OP
OP

ChuckXX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2020 SHELBY GT 500
If you want the throaty sound, get an H-pipe, not the X-pipe.
Chris; Thank You for your reply. I for one really appreciate it. Question: Will it be a noticeable difference in THROATY DEEP SOUND or more negligible???? I don't care about the neighbors I just want a really deep throaty sound. This will be a car I only drive in the spring and summer and probably only put on about 1,500 miles a year. I live in the Big City where no one even knows his neighbors. LOL PS We built a beautiful new home about 18 months ago and when we moved in I said "I can't wait to make new friends with all my neighbors to my wife". So now after living here 18 months and not meeting even one single neighbor my wife says to me the other day "So hows that neighbor thing working out for you"?????

Blackslax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Chris; Thank You for your reply. I for one really appreciate it. Question: Will it be a noticeable difference in THROATY DEEP SOUND or more negligible???? I don't care about the neighbors I just want a really deep throaty sound. This will be a car I only drive in the spring and summer and probably only put on about 1,500 miles a year. I live in the Big City where no one even knows his neighbors. LOL PS We built a beautiful new home about 18 months ago and when we moved in I said "I can't wait to make new friends with all my neighbors to my wife". So now after living here 18 months and not meeting even one single neighbor my wife says to me the other day "So hows that neighbor thing working out for you"?????
LOL.
Before buying my Mustang I noticed that when the stock Mustang wind out a bit, the exhaust tone gets raspy, or something. I didn't like it. Then I saw a YouTube video where the guy said he got the H-Pipe and the sound was lower and 'throaty'. I'm originally a Chevy owner - '64 corvette coupe and '71 Chevelle 454. I know and love the throaty sound of those engines. I got the Mustang, had the H-pipe custom made by the header manufacturer here on LI (I insisted on having 'stiffener' added to give it some strength); installed everything at the dealer, and then tuned. Freakin' thing sounds great. We live on 1/4 acre plots, and the sound bounces off the house and bugs my neighbor...I'm still dealing with that. But not one person doesn't like the tone. I suggest you go to YouTube and enter "Mustang H-Pipe".

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
H pipe will.sound better, deeper. More traditional Mustang. What I wanted, but opted for more HP in the end with an X

Blackslax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
H pipe will.sound better, deeper. More traditional Mustang. What I wanted, but opted for more HP in the end with an X
It sounds like you are saying that an X-Pipe will give you more HP than an H-Pipe.
What makes you say that?

OP
OP

ChuckXX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2020 SHELBY GT 500
LOL.
Before buying my Mustang I noticed that when the stock Mustang wind out a bit, the exhaust tone gets raspy, or something. I didn't like it. Then I saw a YouTube video where the guy said he got the H-Pipe and the sound was lower and 'throaty'. I'm originally a Chevy owner - '64 corvette coupe and '71 Chevelle 454. I know and love the throaty sound of those engines. I got the Mustang, had the H-pipe custom made by the header manufacturer here on LI (I insisted on having 'stiffener' added to give it some strength); installed everything at the dealer, and then tuned. Freakin' thing sounds great. We live on 1/4 acre plots, and the sound bounces off the house and bugs my neighbor...I'm still dealing with that. But not one person doesn't like the tone. I suggest you go to YouTube and enter "Mustang H-Pipe".
Chris; A big "THANK YOU" goes out to you. I wonder if Lethal Performance can sell me an "H-Pipe"??? I will call them. Again, I thank you.

OP
OP

ChuckXX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2020 SHELBY GT 500
LOL.
Chris; I just called Lethal Performance and they don't make an "H-Pipe" for the 2020 Shelby GT 500. Do you have any ideas as WHO to call to find this product???