Sponsored

H-Pipe Resonator Delete!! w/video

mdmoore23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ZL1
I have always thought the new GT500 sounds awesome, and haven’t had much desire to alter the tone since I got the car. But recently I really started to wonder what these cars would sound like with an H-Pipe instead of the X. I had kicked around the idea of doing the traditional X-pipe resonator deletes, but they seem to magnify one of the characteristics of this cars exhaust note that I don’t care for, and that’s rasp. So, recently in a discussion here, Jmeo so kindly brought to my attention that Shifteck had an H-Pipe res delete option. I promptly ordered and everything went smooth with shipping. I had a few days off this week, so decided to tackle install. The pipe came with zero instructions, so I started the install following the steps I had seen in previous videos, but modified a bit because the length of this pipe was definitely shorter than the ones I’ve seen installed on YouTube. I thought things look a little off, but proceeded as I was committed to getting this thing on the car at this point. It’s a long story about what all went wrong, but essentially this pipe is the same diameter and the factory unit with no flaring on the rear to fit over the rear factory exhaust after you’ve cut out you factory X. My response from Shifteck was that this H-Pipe was supposed to be connected to the rear section with a butt type connection and wasn’t meant to be slipped over. I don’t see any way that would have worked, given how far back the cuts had to be made on the factory X to get behind the welds. As I seemed pretty much stuck with what I had and need to get the car mobilized, I sucked it up and went to my local exhaust shop, pipe in hand, to have some modifications made. They got me taken care of in no time, though I thought they may have taxed me a little hard for the work they did. But hey, I guess that‘s what I get for not catching the issues beforehand. So, I got home and finally was able to install this thing and WOW! I expected a slight change. But this thing sounds like all hell is breaking loose on startup and moderate load. It’s like a mix between 03 Cobra and GT350. It definitely has a throatier sound at idle and light load, and at WOT it just becomes a monster. I drove the car around for at least an hour on backroads, and man the shift snaps are magnified a lot now as well. After getting back home, all I could wonder is why the hell aren’t more of these running H-Pipes? Here’s the video. Forgive the camera. Don’t know what was up with the quality.

Sponsored

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I have always thought the new GT500 sounds awesome, and haven’t had much desire to alter the tone since I got the car. But recently I really started to wonder what these cars would sound like with an H-Pipe instead of the X. I had kicked around the idea of doing the traditional X-pipe resonator deletes, but they seem to magnify one of the characteristics of this cars exhaust note that I don’t care for, and that’s rasp. So, recently in a discussion here, Jmeo so kindly brought to my attention that Shifteck had an H-Pipe res delete option. I promptly ordered and everything went smooth with shipping. I had a few days off this week, so decided to tackle install. The pipe came with zero instructions, so I started the install following the steps I had seen in previous videos, but modified a bit because the length of this pipe was definitely shorter than the ones I’ve seen installed on YouTube. I thought things look a little off, but proceeded as I was committed to getting this thing on the car at this point. It’s a long story about what all went wrong, but essentially this pipe is the same diameter and the factory unit with no flaring on the rear to fit over the rear factory exhaust after you’ve cut out you factory X. My response from Shifteck was that this H-Pipe was supposed to be connected to the rear section with a butt type connection and wasn’t meant to be slipped over. I don’t see any way that would have worked, given how far back the cuts had to be made on the factory X to get behind the welds. As I seemed pretty much stuck with what I had and need to get the car mobilized, I sucked it up and went to my local exhaust shop, pipe in hand, to have some modifications made. They got me taken care of in no time, though I thought they may have taxed me a little hard for the work they did. But hey, I guess that‘s what I get for not catching the issues beforehand. So, I got home and finally was able to install this thing and WOW! I expected a slight change. But this thing sounds like all hell is breaking loose on startup and moderate load. It’s like a mix between 03 Cobra and GT350. It definitely has a throatier sound at idle and light load, and at WOT it just becomes a monster. I drove the car around for at least an hour on backroads, and man the shift snaps are magnified a lot now as well. After getting back home, all I could wonder is why the hell aren’t more of these running H-Pipes? Here’s the video. Forgive the camera. Don’t know what was up with the quality.

Thanks for doing this. I currently have X pipe Res. delete and love the sound - no rasp. Recent Lund tune brought the sound down a bit. I want deeper sound and i heard H pipe can provide that. I will take a listen after work.

If I were to change to H pipe, i'm guessing I would have to have it modified?

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - 2006 GT Convertible
Damn that's rowdy!!!!

How is driving with it in quiet mode?

Sponsored

OP
OP
mdmoore23

mdmoore23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ZL1
Damn that's rowdy!!!!

How is driving with it in quiet mode?
Surprisingly the car pretty much sounds the same as before in quiet mode. In the rest of the modes there's a noticeable difference though. But I was relieved to find that there isn't any undesired rattles or drones inside the cabin.

OP
OP
mdmoore23

mdmoore23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ZL1
Thanks for doing this. I currently have X pipe Res. delete and love the sound - no rasp. Recent Lund tune brought the sound down a bit. I want deeper sound and i heard H pipe can provide that. I will take a listen after work.

If I were to change to H pipe, i'm guessing I would have to have it modified?
If you use this particular H-Pipe you'll have to modify it. Shifteck says otherwise, but I see no reliable way it would work otherwise. The modifications I made were just adding length though and buying new clamps.

JCDriller

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerad
Vehicle(s)
97 Cobra, 2001 Saleen, 2003 Cobra, 2020 GT500 CFTP
Wonder how it would be with race legs. I may give this a go.

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - 2006 GT Convertible
I can get that for you.😉 I'll do another video in Track Mode. I have race legs and a H pipe.
Cannot wait to hear this. With the volume increase on just the H res delete I can’t imagine what this one would sound like.

Sponsored

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs

Where you live in sc? Im in spartanburg

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium Coupe, 2020 GT350 Heritage

Savage before, ferocious after. It's just different versions of awesome. The factory shifts sound like a shotgun blast. Looking forward to driving one of those someday.
Sponsored