Sponsored

Replacing shortblock after ringland failure.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
You think Ford is going to warranty a Procharged engine that blew a piston?
not if you run down there snitching on yourself.
he could rebuild/build it for $2500-$3000
Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350

The gapless rings are actually two rings in one ringland.
It's similar to the rings around the bolt in a direct impingement gas system typical in an AR15. You just want to ensure that they aren't lined up. What it allows is for very wide gaps and lots of heat expansion.

He references hp, but the use wouldn't be directly to gain any power. It would be to run wider gaps without losing compression. I'm curious as to why they'd have diminished life cycle.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
OP
OP
xgxbulletxgx

xgxbulletxgx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Have people been breaking ringlands with the gen 3 engines? I've only seen the gen 2 guys having this problem.

Sponsored

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Curious if I should change my ring gap in case I boost the car. Probably won't go more than 900whp.

Think I am going to stay N/A for a while tho...

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Have people been breaking ringlands with the gen 3 engines? I've only seen the gen 2 guys having this problem.
Yep, that's what took my motor out, was probably around 950whp at the time as I was running 2-3 psi more than my 913 setting.

My surviving pistons had top rings gapped around 8-9 thousandths.

cficare68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Haven't torn mine apart yet, but leakdown test down is looking like i'm having the same issue on cylinder 7.

Red65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 1965 Coupe, 2017 Premium MT GT
You've gone through two engines in 4,000 miles.

Methinks getting a stronger engine, like a Ford Performance Aluminator engine, would be a wise investment. I do believe they make one specifically for boosted applications like yours.

If you just go with another stock block, you're going to wreck it again in short order.
Suggesting the OP buy a $22,000+ crate engine just because he busted a stock factory short block on boost is terrible advice. He’d be better off having a short block built up by a reputable shop with proper ring gaps for his FI setup, like others have said.

OP
OP
xgxbulletxgx

xgxbulletxgx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Suggesting the OP buy a $22,000+ crate engine just because he busted a stock factory short block on boost is terrible advice. He’d be better off having a short block built up by a reputable shop with proper ring gaps for his FI setup, like others have said.
I've already bought an RPG shortblock and a ton of other stuff since posting this. But I agree, I'm not spending that kind of money on an engine. Just needed an engine built for boost with the rings gapped for it.
Sponsored