Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

cdh027

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350, 2018 z06
I suggest you also get the updated rear cylinder block plate put in, so you don’t get the metal trash bag sound. It’s only 40 dollars for the part and if the engine is out, it’s a no brainer to have it put in.
Do the 2019's already have this?

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
I suggest you also get the updated rear cylinder block plate put in, so you don’t get the metal trash bag sound. It’s only 40 dollars for the part and if the engine is out, it’s a no brainer to have it put in.
WHAT is this?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Does everyone that has their motor replaced have this issue?

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Well, to my surprise, the dealership was completely OK with the tune and didn't believe it had anything to do with the engine failure. However, the Ford inspector came in and immediately just blamed the mods. According to the dealership, their statement was just simply along the lines of "We're not getting involved due to the modifications" , so it doesn't even sound like they investigated what exactly caused it. I have an extensive repair history (probably more than anyone in this forum) so I'm curious to see how this goes. I believe there's one more pending review on Ford's end.

What's confusing to me is why they would go through all of this if they will just blame aftermarket exhaust and a tune (to clear the CEL from no cats, nothing more or less).

Will keep you guys posted.

Bcobb85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Well, to my surprise, the dealership was completely OK with the tune and didn't believe it had anything to do with the engine failure. However, the Ford inspector came in and immediately just blamed the mods. According to the dealership, their statement was just simply along the lines of "We're not getting involved due to the modifications" , so it doesn't even sound like they investigated what exactly caused it. I have an extensive repair history (probably more than anyone in this forum) so I'm curious to see how this goes. I believe there's one more pending review on Ford's end.

What's confusing to me is why they would go through all of this if they will just blame aftermarket exhaust and a tune (to clear the CEL from no cats, nothing more or less).

I’ve got catless downpipes (w/02 extenders to avoid a CEL) and as bad as I want to add a tune to take full advantage of the cat deletes, this exact scenario is what keeps me away...Ford using it as a free pass to avoid any repair/replacement. Sorry to hear man, I’m very interested in how this turns out.

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
I don't think a tune is worth the risk based on two things:

1) warranty risk, unless you are comfortable with the real possibility of warranty claim rejection (nearly $30k), and
2) from what others have posted after speaking with Ford engineers, this motor won't benefit that much with a tune since it's almost at the brink from the factory. I get it, that if you want headers and no cats that you'll need a tune to maximize that and to avoid CEL, but it seems to me that the benefits in terms of power are minimal. Supercharger? SURE, but just tuning for power, probably not worth the risk unless, well, see #1 above ;-)

Personally, I'm a hot rodder, but I'm leaving this drive train stock during my 8 year warranty period. Then I'll decide whether to sell or supercharge! lol
But the OEM exhaust is possibly the best sounding OEM ever. Car and Driver said it's THE loudest ever tested (tied with 911 GT3RS as I recall).

Just my $.02.

Rubyred17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I’ve got catless downpipes (w/02 extenders to avoid a CEL) and as bad as I want to add a tune to take full advantage of the cat deletes, this exact scenario is what keeps me away...Ford using it as a free pass to avoid any repair/replacement. Sorry to hear man, I’m very interested in how this turns out.

So this begs a question that I have been wondering about if a warranty is voided or when Ford runs out of engines after the 350 production run., Who is rebuilding these and where do you source better parts from?

orangegrower

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 - 2019 Aston Martin Vantage - 2019 Ranger Lariat
I assume you are asking where to get your engine repaired or replaced after your warranty runs out? I am sure there are lots of options but if I was forced to foot the bill on my engine, MMR Engines would be at the top of my list.

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Yea, once these start needing repairs when out of warranty, that's when we'll know what's going on. And if there are specific weak points in the engine, the aftermarket will certainly step up with solutions, probably available on a preventive basis. Just google PORSCHE IMS bearing.

If engines are consuming oil due to poorly sealing valves, for example, that's not a cost-prohibitive repair. New piston rings is a different story.

Rubyred17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I assume you are asking where to get your engine repaired or replaced after your warranty runs out? I am sure there are lots of options but if I was forced to foot the bill on my engine, MMR Engines would be at the top of my list.
Yes, exactly. I sent you a PM

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic

A member by the name of @Ninjak may shed some light on the subject for you. I fully expected the scenario that happened with you, with regard to Ford's response, to happen to Ninjak's full exhaust and tuned 350 when he windowed the block. But to my surprise he got a new motor under warranty.

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
A member by the name of @Ninjak may shed some light on the subject for you. I fully expected the scenario that happened with you, with regard to Ford's response, to happen to Ninjak's full exhaust and tuned 350 when he windowed the block. But to my surprise he got a new motor under warranty.
That's very interesting. I'm going to DM him and get some more details. They replaced the transmission under warranty and everything else, but I guess it was maybe much harder for them to prove that the tune/exhaust caused any of those issues.

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Is Ford Customer Care the last customer-facing number to expedite issues with Ford? They've gone cold on me now and haven't responded to any emails or VMs for the last 4 days. Since my assigned rep has not responded to my VM or email, I've included two other reps that I've worked in the past and literally no one has responded. Meanwhile it's going on four weeks of paying out of pocket for the rental car and my car note, while my car is sitting on the lot at Ford.

Seems like I just have to continue pursuing a lawyer.

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Is Ford Customer Care the last customer-facing number to expedite issues with Ford? They've gone cold on me now and haven't responded to any emails or VMs for the last 4 days. Since my assigned rep has not responded to my VM or email, I've included two other reps that I've worked in the past and literally no one has responded. Meanwhile it's going on four weeks of paying out of pocket for the rental car and my car note, while my car is sitting on the lot at Ford.

Seems like I just have to continue pursuing a lawyer.
That’s probably your best bet. I’ll probably never modify the bitch because of the issues encountered with warranty work. I don’t have $34k to waste while Ford points fingers.