Sponsored

2017 GT350R 3800-4200 RPM metallic buzzing sound

treefiddysnek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Well, apparently I was mistaken when I thought my GT350R would be a reliable car. So far I've had the AC stop working in the middle of summer due to a faulty ambient temperature sensor, the dual-mode exhaust system malfunction due to a seized exhaust actuator, and the engine completely replaced under warranty due to excessive oil consumption, which can be found in this thread.

My Shelby's only current known problem, which is a problem that has been plaguing it for at least a year now, is an ear-raping, soul-crushing, neck-hair-stance-causing, absolute cringe metallic buzzing sound which can be heard from inside and outside of the car when the engine is revved to 4000 rpm while the oil temperature is greater than 215F. This buzzing sound has been present before and after I had my engine replaced, so I'm fairly confident that the noise isn't from the engine. Here's an audio clip I recorded of the buzzing sound for reference: https://vocaroo.com/i/s1rY3XcqIrQM

The buzzing sound happens in neutral and in every single gear while driving, and only between 3800 and 4200 rpm and only when the car is warmed up enough for the oil temperature to be greater than 215F. The dealership service center where I have my car repaired has yet to figure out the cause of this horrid metallic buzzing sound, so I'm posting about it here to raise awareness and in the hopes that someone might have some ideas as to what would cause a sound like this in a GT350R. I did some digging and read about some other GT350 owners that have had similar issues, but I haven't found anything definitive on a potential cause. I know it's hard to guess at the cause of a sound just from an audio clip and a description, but if anyone out there has any ideas as to what this is then I'd definitely be appreciative of hearing them, because this buzzing sound is driving me fucking insane. Sorry for the rant.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
its the sandwich plate between your block and the transmission. There is a TSB pertaining to it. Lots of posts about it. Some use a sound dampening matt over the exposed part of the plate. That usually eliminates it.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Here ya go -

As Tomster states above, the noise you’re experiencing is most likely the transmission/engine block spacer plate . This is an aluminum shield located at the back of the engine that is between the engine and transmission bell housing. It’s a known source of a metallic-like or raspy-like noise at certain RPM’s on quite a few Ford products. Ford is aware of the issue and there is a revised part for the GT350 - but no official TSB has been issued. GT350 Owners who complain should get the revised part replaced under warranty.

Here are some handy threads for you. If you don’t want to fix it yourself, tell your Service Center - “here IS the issue, please fix”:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/ford-replaced-my-cyl-block-rear-plate.126295/#post-2617259

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/engine-transmission-plate-noise-fix.115718/

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...hen-accelerating-hard-above-4000k-rpm.107728/

One other source of a S550 GT350 rattle or noise at certain RPM’s has been sourced to the exhaust “weight” that is found near the catalytic converter. I’m not 100% certain if this same part exists on a GT350R. Some GT350 owners have found that this weight was loose and under certain conditions would emanate a rattle from under the car. Tightening up the weight solved the issue for these owners.

See this exact post for a better visual of the discussed part:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...rd-above-4000k-rpm.107728/page-6#post-2552578

Good luck!

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
It’s the rear cylinder block plate. It needs replaced. I had mine done after I threatened to do a buyback on the second try to fix it. A whole new part is available that we s covered in vinyl.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
It’s the rear cylinder block plate. It needs replaced. I had mine done after I threatened to do a buyback on the second try to fix it. A whole new part is available that we s covered in vinyl.
If I had a virgin car and the problem could be fixed with a small patch of dynamat, I think I'd go that route. To replace that plate is a big job and I wouldn't want it screwed with unless it was absolutely necessary.

To each their own however.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Given that they already replaced the engine, getting this work done was a no brainer. The dealer did my plate in a day with no issues. Tranny needs to be dropped but if a dealership tech can’t do that properly, they should not be working on cars. But each his own.

OP
OP

treefiddysnek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Thank you to everyone for the suggestions about this spacer plate. I'm going to get in contact with the Ford Service Center as soon as possible, and see about having this plate replaced. I'll try to keep this thread updated with the progress of having this issue resolved.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I have a similar issue. I priced dynamat just looking for a small piece and holy cow it is expensive. Is there anyone who has a piece big enough to cover this small area? I would be happy to pay for the material and shipping.

Sponsored

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Is there any downside to this problem or is it just an audible/sound issue?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
its just a buzz. Throw some dynamat on it and it wall almost eliminate it.

I sure as hell would not send my car in to have the drive train ripped apart for that (if I didn't have to)

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Another source of buzzing is the shifter reverse lockout collar. When you hear the buzzing, lift up on it and see if it stops. I didn't notice whether you stated a factory or aftermarket shifter.

If so, you can replace with an MGW or there is a fix to the OEM shifter as well:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67379&highlight=shifter+rattle

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46247&highlight=shifter
Factory shifter, definitely a very very unique buzzing, very noticable in the cabin.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
buzzing seems to have gone away.. thinking it had something to do with the break in period. up to 800 plus miles now.
Sponsored