Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

DIB2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 H.E GT350; 1968 Ford Bronco Sport
Getting a new motor put in this week. Wrist pin failure on my 16 Tech with 13k miles.

jashton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Add me to the list, two days before Sebring... Rod knock much? I'm putting my money down on a spun bearing.

Background info:

-Purchased the car new with under 10 miles
-Followed break in procedure
-Always topped off oil
-Consumed 2-4 quarts per thousand miles
-Always let car get to temp before revving car out
-Unmodified engine and no tuning etc...

DIB2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 H.E GT350; 1968 Ford Bronco Sport
Hopefully your swap is quick. Mine was diagnosed Friday and motor was at Ford on Wednesday.

jashton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Hopefully your swap is quick. Mine was diagnosed Friday and motor was at Ford on Wednesday.
Wow, that's insane. Sounds like a dream haha, I hope mine goes as quick as yours.

Has anybody on here had a replacement done in the Central Florida area? I'm currently trying to decide what dealer to bring it to. Planning to drop it off Monday.

Mjc1241

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reese
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Add me to the list, two days before Sebring... Rod knock much? I'm putting my money down on a spun bearing.

Background info:

-Always topped off oil

I looked at your video at around the same time you posted this. Definitely agree with your reasoning not to modify the car in the way of tuning of any sort. The replacement cost is astronomical and although there have been guys who have gotten replacement engines after challenging Ford to prove that whatever mod installed caused the failure and won, I don't want to take that chance. Good luck!

Last edited:

LFG_Cory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2018 SHELBY GT350 LEAD FOOT GREY
Happy to report that I have 3,464 miles on the replacement 2019 555 engine and no oil consumption. Knock on wood.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I don't understand why there isn't a lawsuit for this. The whole gen 1 voodoo should be recalled. I'm distressed... It's a ticking bomb.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I don't understand why there isn't a lawsuit for this. The whole gen 1 voodoo should be recalled. I'm distressed... It's a ticking bomb.
Every moving mechanism in the world is a "ticking bomb". No engine will last forever. You just have to decide how much tolerance you have for risk and what you believe the failure rate is. I think the Voodoo is great, but yes I was a little nervous to own one out of warranty.

At least the failure mode hasn't been something that destroyed the entire assembly like the older M3s with bad rod bearings.

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
What dealer did you go with? Haven't had much work done in San Antonio, but always curious to see how interactions go.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

Background info:

-Always topped off oil

Hi Jeff,
enjoy your channel. so sorry to hear about this. I hate to say it, but when you did your oil consumption video I was a little uneasy about your ride..
Now you posted "-Consumed 2-4 quarts per thousand miles" that seems a bit extreme. This may be for the best if you can get a 2019 motor vs having to live with adding oil constantly until you can justify an oil consumption test with the dealer. Some guys have had that process go smoothly, while for others (droopy 1592) it's been a nightmare. I still love and want to purchase one.. it's been my goal since they came out. At this point though I am seriously leaning towards the 2019's. There is no guarantee with those as well, but the improvements to the engine will increase the odds, plus I would have a good portion of the warranty vs a used 2017-18. The only exception would be a 17 or 18 with a Ford CPO extended.

EuroKllr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
For those of you who have had their engine replaced, what kind of extended warranty did Ford provide on the new replacement engine, and did you have to ask for it, or did they offer it? Also, did they replace the exhaust system? My tailpipes are black as night with soot, but otherwise no signs of any oil leaks, or engine knocks, or pressure loss. I'm concerned the exhaust system might be completely fouled.

My 2017 350R (~8,500 miles) has gone through four 500-mile oil consumption tests over the past 2 months, and is burning 1 quart every 100 miles. It goes back to the deal next week for final checkup, and the service writer already told me they are submitting the paperwork for a replacement engine, FINGERS CROSSED!

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Mine is at the dealer now for a motor
What part of Atlanta are you in? Mine just got towed to the dealership on the 14th (17 days ago) and it's needing a new motor as well. I've already gone through a transmission at 26k miles (issues started around 18k) and now a new motor at 65k.

According to the dealership, they mentioned that the rod bearings got locked up and it also fried the starter. Here's what happened before mine suddenly died on me:

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
What part of Atlanta are you in? Mine just got towed to the dealership on the 14th (17 days ago) and it's needing a new motor as well. I've already gone through a transmission at 26k miles (issues started around 18k) and now a new motor at 65k.

According to the dealership, they mentioned that the rod bearings got locked up and it also fried the starter. Here's what happened before mine suddenly died on me:

Where were you when that happened? I live in Sandy Springs at the moment and taking the car back in today at Hennessy on PIB. When will you get the car back?

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Where were you when that happened? I live in Sandy Springs at the moment and taking the car back in today at Hennessy on PIB. When will you get the car back?
Gotcha. I live in Lawrenceville and my car is at Ford Mall of Georgia, but I was actually near the airport going i-75 south. Broke down right by the Cleveland Avenue exit. They haven't given me an update on when I'll get the car back just yet. They just told me yesterday about what happened and that Ford will be sending someone in to physically inspect the engine. Told me it's "usually within 72 hours." It sounds like some other people have gotten their new engines in and replaced within a week's time, but I doubt that'll be the case for me.

I had the dealership in New Orleans pay a car note for me during my troubles, and going to fight for the same thing at this dealership, especially since I'm having to pay out of pocket for a rental car (week 3 now) and my car note (and can't drive the car). This is seriously getting way out of hand.