Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
I think that if it’s at 1 quart per 500, which is the minimum...then it will get worse as you drive it more. In my case it was normal use, then it started and quickly got worse. Then I took it in and did two separate 500 miles use tests and they did the diagnostic tests too. It was at 4 quarts per 500 miles and I got a new motor. It’s a process and you have to jump through the hoops which takes time, and yes it’s a bit irratating

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
I don't think the builder has any thing to do with these engines having to be replaced. They don't make the parts they only assemble the parts already made.
I was more talking about the fact that if dealers are putting the original engine builders plate on the replacement engine. Then those really aren't the the people who built it.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
We won’t tell if you don’t.

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
6929 miles

A few questions:
  • I am asking for a long block engine replacement as that is what Ford Performance recommends for any internal engine issues
  • Asking for a KR3Z-6006-B as it is the latest long block replacement P/N (supposedly the new 2019+ GT350 engine)
  • Asking for a replacement oil cooler or at the minimum a very thorough flush
  • Will the replacement engine include its matching engine builders plate? I have read some have received a replacement engine with the builder names. I really want to push on this as what is the point of having the old builders plate on there if it is not correct.
  • The replacement engine will be blank where the VIN typically goes. I read somewhere on here that someone paid for the tech to stamp it to match the chassis. Does anyone remember what the cost is for that?
  • 7 year/100k warranty due to the replacement engine, do I push for that through the dealer or Ford service?
I plan on keeping the car as Grabber Blue is pretty much the only color I would want and no more new ones exist (mine was the last). I would entertain getting a GT500 in Grabber Blue if that ever happens.
I just had my engine replaced, #3 and #7 let go. Punched a hole through the block.

1. I received a new cooler
2. I received the new sensors
3. I received a new intake manifold
4. The KR3Z-6006-B is a 19+ 350R motor. (Confirmed by the Ford rep that did my case)

There is a name on my engine. I am not sure if its the same name plate that was on the original. I was also informed that the headers and tune I have is in the database and will not effect my warranty going forward. Heck the rep was trying to sale me the extended warranty at the end of the call.

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
I just had my engine replaced, #3 and #7 let go. Punched a hole through the block.

1. I received a new cooler
2. I received the new sensors
3. I received a new intake manifold
4. The KR3Z-6006-B is a 19+ 350R motor. (Confirmed by the Ford rep that did my case)

There is a name on my engine. I am not sure if its the same name plate that was on the original. I was also informed that the headers and tune I have is in the database and will not effect my warranty going forward. Heck the rep was trying to sale me the extended warranty at the end of the call.
Thank you for the info!

Is it recommended I start a case with Ford Service or just work with the dealer?

That's strange they were trying to sell you an extended warranty. Everything I've read is that you are given the 7 year/100k mile extended warranty.

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
I am not sure in your case. I opened a case with Ford because my dealer did not want to honor my warranty because of headers and tune I had. You can read about it in the thread "Add me to the list nobody wants to be on" thread.
If your dealer is working with you, then work with them. I do not know anything about the warranty you mention. The only thing I received was a warranty for the work.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Probably get opinions all over the place but thought I'd throw a question out. Does anyone think doing a compression and leak down test is worthwhile if your car consumes oil but not at the level Ford says is necessary for engine replacement before you go out of warranty? Would you feel better knowing they are normal and your oil consumption is compatible with engine design? Would you be more likely to dump the car or get it fixed before the engine blows if it was abnormal? Would Ford fix it under warranty if it was abnormal? At what level would you think of doing this, say a quart per 1500 or less? As there are now cars getting closer to that mileage, maybe some would be willing to do that and post info if they have a "consumer".
In my opinion if your engine is consuming oil I would drive it as much as possible and as hard as possible (ideally get on track). If there's a defect that's causing the engine to consume oil, with time and use the problem will get worse and the engine will consume more oil. If the engine is consuming some oil because the rings aren't sealing as well as they could, hard use on track might reduce the amount of oil being consumed. I'm a firm believer in lots of full throttle and no throttle driving to get rings to form the best possible seal against the cylinder walls.

No, I wouldn't do a compression/leak down test. I definitely wouldn't pay someone to do it. If you decide to do it just for your curiosity and you enjoy doing that kind of work, then fine. But I don't think a compression or leak down test will show a smoking gun.

On edit, there is still some time before the power train warranty goes away for any GT350s, At least a year I would say before even the very first GT350s go out of warranty. My advice is to use the car!

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
In my opinion if your engine is consuming oil I would drive it as much as possible and as hard as possible (ideally get on track). If there's a defect that's causing the engine to consume oil, with time and use the problem will get worse and the engine will consume more oil. If the engine is consuming some oil because the rings aren't sealing as well as they could, hard use on track might reduce the amount of oil being consumed. I'm a firm believer in lots of full throttle and no throttle driving to get rings to form the best possible seal against the cylinder walls.

No, I wouldn't do a compression/leak down test. I definitely wouldn't pay someone to do it. If you decide to do it just for your curiosity and you enjoy doing that kind of work, then fine. But I don't think a compression or leak down test will show a smoking gun.

On edit, there is still some time before the power train warranty goes away for any GT350s, At least a year I would say before even the very first GT350s go out of warranty. My advice is to use the car!
Wonder if a compression/leak down test might be cheaper than a track weekend.:) So you don't think it would show a problem at consumption level less than a quart in 500 miles.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Wonder if a compression/leak down test might be cheaper than a track weekend.:) So you don't think it would show a problem at consumption level less than a quart in 500 miles.
Will the tests be cheaper? Probably. Less fun? Definitely!

If the consumption is from a defective valve seal, the tests won't show that.

If the consumption is from an issue with an oil ring, the tests won't show that either.

If somehow there's a defect in a top ring and that is causing that amount of consumption, yes a compression test and/or leak down test either would show it.

Will Ford accept the results of your test and do something? That's the big question I don't know the answer to. I'm not aware of Ford publishing specs for what the compression and leak down should be. It's possible if one cylinder shows really different than the rest you would be able to get Ford to do something. I think Ford is really great in general with their warranty coverage.

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
The dealer just got my replacement engine in (2 days from bringing it in is quick). It is a November 2018 GT350R engine (KR3Z-6006-B).

Called Ford Performance they do not provide replacement engine builders nameplates. They have tried in the past and have been denied by the Romeo Niche Line.

Mpt233

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
17 gt350
Well I guess I can add my car to the list. Picked up a 17 with 8k a month ago driven less than 1k was driving normal thru town and it started ticking pulled over as soon as I could. In less than a mile the tick became a bad knock, no cel. Shut it off and it wouldnt restart. Oil pressure, level and temp were normal. Waiting to see what the dealer says. Wonder if I recieve worse customer service from Ford since I did not purchase it new.

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
My engine spun rod bearings 1 and 2.

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
Well I guess I can add my car to the list. Picked up a 17 with 8k a month ago driven less than 1k was driving normal thru town and it started ticking pulled over as soon as I could. In less than a mile the tick became a bad knock, no cel. Shut it off and it wouldnt restart. Oil pressure, level and temp were normal. Waiting to see what the dealer says. Wonder if I recieve worse customer service from Ford since I did not purchase it new.
If you do take it some where else. Thats what warranties are for and shouldn't matter whether you bought it new or from that dealership.

EuroKllr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
What is Ford's protocol for an oil consumption test? How many miles are necessary to complete the test? I feel like my local dealer doesn't know what they are doing!

I suspect my 2017 350R is burning oil excessively. I've kept a detailed log of my mileage, driving habits and oil consumption for the past 1,000 miles, and per my records I'm burning 1 quart every 250 miles.

3 weeks ago I took it to my local dealer to start the oil consumption test. They had no idea about the problem that some of the 350's are having, so I had to explain everything to them. They agreed to start an oil consumption test, but wanted me to drive it for 5,000 miles and bring it in every 500 - 750 miles to be checked. It would have taken me a year to put that many miles on it, so they agreed to cut the test down to 2,500 miles and check it every 500 miles.

After 350 miles of varied driving the oil level is barely registering on the dip stick (about 1/2 inch below the lower dot), so I took it into the dealer to be checked. Got the call this morning that they found a leak on the passenger side of the engine (they could not or would not tell me more), and said it was down a little over 1.5 quarts. They apparently fixed the leak and topped off the oil, and want me to drive it another 500 miles before the next checkup.

If they found a leak and it was down 1.5 quarts after 350 miles shouldn't they report this to Ford? Is my dealership doing the test right? I could really use some input from the guys who have been through the oil consumption test.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
Go to another dealer. What they do is for an oil consumption test is....top off the oil....then you drive 500 miles....don't add oil or even check it.....as you hit 500....go to the dealer and they check the level and top it off if they have to.....then drive another 500 miles and check it again. If its used more than 1 quart in 500 miles, its a bad engine. In my case they also did the borescope camera on each cylinder, dye test, compression test and leakdown test.....all the data gets sent to Ford, and they make the decision to replace the motor.