Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
as anyone broken stock mounts on a daily ?
I added some adjustable shocks that are really tight ,no issues but who wants trouble
There have been some to fail but I don’t know if they were tracked or bagged or jumped over the crest of a hill or what. The OE mount took the damage like it’s supposed to and saved the sheet metal. They’re quick and easy to replace and if one pops your car will still drive, even the bumpstops functionality is still in place.
Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I don't understand all of the hubbub over aftermarket shock mounts failing. I've had mine on for a few years, never a problem. Mine is a daily so I occasionally have to drive in to D.C. (aka pothole city) and its been fine. Assuming folks have bumpstops and aren't jumping their car I think is blown way out of proportion.

And another thing, the stock shock mount absolutely deflects and absolutely can lead to "bounce". Much harder for the damper to do its job when it is not secured in a fixed position. Now it has to fight itself while trying to control the spring.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
I don't understand all of the hubbub over aftermarket shock mounts failing. I've had mine on for a few years, never a problem. Mine is a daily so I occasionally have to drive in to D.C. (aka pothole city) and its been fine. Assuming folks have bumpstops and aren't jumping their car I think is blown way out of proportion.

And another thing, the stock shock mount absolutely deflects and absolutely can lead to "bounce". Much harder for the damper to do its job when it is not secured in a fixed position. Now it has to fight itself while trying to control the spring.
I'm not a fan of the stockers, but for now, that' s all I can use since a certain company won't return my contact.

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I've been thinking about a way to stiffen the OE mount a bit, sort of a middle ground before going to a spherical bearing type aftermarket setup. Have a spare pair I might experiment with when I get some time.

Sponsored

thornclaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
rockauto has two different part numbers listed for rear upper shock mounts. fr3z18a161a or b.
the b part number has a black top as opposed to the silver/aluminum top on the a part number which is on my car and probably most everyone else's. the b number is a little cheaper. does anyone know what the difference is between these two? is one better than the other?

image1.png

image2.png

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
The descriptions say one is for monotube shocks while the other is without monotube shocks.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Last one I bought was the AD1118

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
I have PP1 OEM mounts with 300 miles on them if you need

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
rockauto has two different part numbers listed for rear upper shock mounts. fr3z18a161a or b.
the b part number has a black top as opposed to the silver/aluminum top on the a part number
Hm that's interesting, I'll take a look next time at the mounts that came with the FRPP Track shocks which are monotube (I think). Maybe a higher durometer insert in the mount?

Sponsored

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
Hm that's interesting, I'll take a look next time at the mounts that came with the FRPP Track shocks which are monotube (I think). Maybe a higher durometer insert in the mount?
The difference is whether stock monotube shocks are/are not used.

thornclaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
in retrospect it puzzled me why the ford racing rear dampers came with mounts as these were already present on the car and are very easy to install. it may be they are a higher spec mount. if anyone could confirm which mounts come on those dampers that would be helpful.

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
in retrospect it puzzled me why the ford racing rear dampers came with mounts as these were already present on the car and are very easy to install. it may be they are a higher spec mount. if anyone could confirm which mounts come on those dampers that would be helpful.
Yep, as soon as I can take a look at it I’ll report back.

thornclaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
found this pic of the fr damper. you can barely read it, but the numbers printed on the mount end in s550 same as the ad 1123 part number. ie its the one with the black top.

frpp.jpg
Sponsored