REAR SUSPENSION CREAKING

JonS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I can't figure out what this creaking noise is coming from my left rear.

I just put some suspension parts on about a month ago. Koni yellows, eibach sportlines, steeda adjustable bump stops, steeda billet upper shock mounts and BMR CB005 lockout kit.

The only thing of question is my rear lower shock bolts. after watching an install video, it seemed to be that all you had to do was make the lowers as tight as possible. well, I ended up ripping the threads right out of the konis (smh). so I have bolts (m10x1.50) with nylon lock nuts for lower shock bolts.

The noise is only heard when transferring the weight from front to back (As shown in the video).

everything else is tight and torqued to spec. Any ideas???? TIA

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds a bit like the axle nut issue to me.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah that could be axle nut loosened up (which holds the hub) and/or the hub went out. I’m on my 3rd replacement rear hub, and the last one went out right after a big round of suspension installs, so naturally I was pretty confused about the noise too.

At that speed you arent shifting much weight on the suspension bits.

The only other thing that tends to make noise in the rear ln my car is the swaybar, which needs grease in the mounting bushings to stay quiet.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
My rear suspension creaks every time I jack up the tail end. I don't hear it when driving though.

Sponsored

chrisgonzales

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic [wrap'd grey] GT Premium PP
I know this is old but did you ever figure out what this was i'm currently hunting down a similar sound.

adamau5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 s550 ingot silver
I would suspect axle nut / hub first...but I had a very similar noise that was a sportline spring that had rotated in its lower rubber seat and was rubbing on the metal

OP
OP

JonS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Axle nut is making the noise. However, the noise keeps coming back. Ive tried a new axle nut with the standard blue lock tight at 98 ft/lbs and 1/4 turn, The same with red lock tight (tried that twice), and now the BMR specs of red lock tight, 150 ft/lbs and 1/4 turn and its still making noise.

Going to try a new wheel bearing and potentially a new half shaft

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
While getting my rear diff fluid changed, I had my mechanic check out that exact same noise, and he said the CV joint connecting the driveshaft and rear diff had a lot of play.
McfOda.jpg

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to driveline stuff, but I get the exact same sound when shifting into D or R from a stop.

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost Premium+ Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
One of the main sources of creaking noises after doing springs is either a spring not seated properly in the isolators or bushing bind due to the bolts at bushing pivot points not being loosened, then re-torqued at the new ride height with the suspension loaded. Your bushings will also weaken and fail sooner than normal also.

Sponsored

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
Took it in this morning and they ordered me a new axle? Not sure if the advisor meant driveshaft since I thought this was a CV joint issue before the diff.

Here’s them trying to diagnose it. you can hear the creak clear as day

Last edited:

DS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, PP, Recaro Seats, 401A
I had a creak from the right rear when backing out of the garage or going over a speed bump...my problem was a loose swaybar end link. Everything was re-torqued and the creak went away