Sponsored

Rear Suspension Creaking - please help

BrantMcE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Magnetic w/ Dark Saddle In
My rear suspension has been creaking like crazy since about a month after my spring install (started post alignment [within factory spec], after tire rotation [bringing fronts to rear due to poor tread on rears at the time]).

So after going back and forth with Eibach, they agreed to send me new rear springs as that was what was determined to be the cause, or so i/we thought. Unfortunately after installing the new springs today, along with the BMR CB005 Cradle Bushing Lockout Kit (killing two birds with one stone), i was saddened to hear the all too familiar creaking still persist. Honestly, it just kinda takes the fun out of driving the car knowing that when coming and going to/from a stop, it sounds like a POS :frusty:.

If anyone has any idea or thoughts on what might be causing it i'm all ears as i would just like it gone..

Here's a video of the sound

SOLVED

turns out it was a loose bolt on the rear driverside control arm. Strange as it's not a bolt that has been touched during any of my installs. after looking at the two bolts only one of them was kinda accessible to me and it was this one. i don't have any wrenches that big and the exhaust is in the way of using a socket so i had went with an adjustable wrench. it was definitely able to be tightened down. The Passenger side however was already as tightened down as would be able to get it by hand.

This is the bolt:

Here's a video. at least i've figured out what half of the car it's coming from. the whole time i thought it was the passenger side. turns out is the rear driver side.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions and a big thank you to Ajax! hopefully this thread can help someone experiencing a similar issue.

UPDATED
Since My car started making the noise again, i went ahead and pulled the bolt that was originally loose to apply thread lock while i was installing my exhaust (two birds with one stone). A tip for anyone attempting would be to get a jack under the control arm near where the bolt goes in because once you pull the bolt the holes in the control arm are likely gonna shift and no longer be aligned. the jack is helpful to pick the arm back up and hold it in place while you shimmy the bolt back in and tighten it down.

Also just because i installed the kit today, i figured i'd include pics of the CB005 kit installed. Sorry for the terrible pics. I choose to carry around a busted phone.

IMG_20150714_183402.jpg

IMG_20150714_183413.jpg

IMG_20150714_183422.jpg

Also for good measure a pic of the springs. Original on the left, replacement on the right. The gap up top at the end of the spring is considerably smaller, not that i'm sure that really means anything..

IMG_20150714_174946.jpg

And to make this post even longer and to introduce even more topics, i just want to give a shoutout to Kelly over @bmr for letting me swing by last week and pick up one of their super in demand CB005 kits. It was awesome learning about all the work and research you guys put into your products and getting to take a tour of your warehouse/assembly/r&d areas, definitely an awesome experience getting to see all the behind the scenes of it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Whoa! That is loud!

Wanna swing by tomorrow, or when you get a chance - and I can take a look at it for ya? Not sure if I would be able to get it up on the lift, but I could definitely give you some insight.

Does it happen when you press up and down on the rear of the car? Or just when moving the car fore/aft?

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Wow...that is loud!!

Are the springs seated in the perch correctly? I know, dumb question but thought I would ask anyway.

OP
OP

BrantMcE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whoa! That is loud!

Wanna swing by tomorrow, or when you get a chance - and I can take a look at it for ya? Not sure if I would be able to get it up on the lift, but I could definitely give you some insight.

Does it happen when you press up and down on the rear of the car? Or just when moving the car fore/aft?
Thanks Kelly! That would be great! I'm free tomorrow morning if that works for you, if not, i get off work around 1 on thursday. Just let me know what works for you. As far as pushing down on the rear, there's no noise, just when moving the car fore/aft.

Wow...that is loud!!

Are the springs seated in the perch correctly? I know, dumb question but thought I would ask anyway.
Yeah i made sure they were seated correctly, sadly i've had to do this multiple times attempting to figure out the cause.

sway bar bushing's need grease??
The sway bar bushings are rubber and from what i've read shouldn't need grease. Although i will say one of my previous attempts was greasing the sway bar bushings and it didn't help.

Sponsored

OP
OP

BrantMcE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So attempting to replicate the sound without actually driving the vehicle, I am unable to reproduce the sound when bouncing the rear up and down nor by pushing the vehicle forwards and backwards. I'm at a loss as to what it could be but then again I'm no expert.

RyanS550GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Black 15 GTPP
Have you figured this out yet?

Super Werty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 PP GT
Thanks Kelly! That would be great! I'm free tomorrow morning if that works for you, if not, i get off work around 1 on thursday. Just let me know what works for you. As far as pushing down on the rear, there's no noise, just when moving the car fore/aft.

Yeah i made sure they were seated correctly, sadly i've had to do this multiple times attempting to figure out the cause.

The sway bar bushings are rubber and from what i've read shouldn't need grease. Although i will say one of my previous attempts was greasing the sway bar bushings and it didn't help.
Not sure where you read this. All sway bars bushings have grease on them. The grease is between the bar and the bushings.

OP
OP

BrantMcE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you figured this out yet?
Not yet but I think I may know where it might be coming from.

Not sure where you read this. All sway bars bushings have grease on them. The grease is between the bar and the bushings.
Sorry, I may have misspoke. I have read that petroleum based grease is not good for rubber as it can cause it to swell. I had actually already attempted to grease the sway bar bushings by removing the mount and bushing and applying white lithium grease (petroleum based, but it was all I had). Put everything back and started driving however the noise still persisted.

ETCH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance
Same thing happened to me after i installed my sway bars. after beating my head against the wall for an hour, i read the instructions.... i know i know, should have done that before, but i didn't...

i didnt grease the bushings. soon as i did, sound went away and i have been happy every since..

and i read instructions now... well at least when i work on my car..

Sponsored
OP
OP

BrantMcE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well today I'm gonna try and put some silicone grease on the sway bar bushings, and hope that it helps. Have yet to do any sway bar modifications so I'm not sure that it will do anything but it's worth a shot. My next thought is going to be to try remove the rear bumper of the car, as I think it may be coming from there.

Ultrakla$$ic

Whoflung Poo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Ingot Silver Premium
That's not coming from the bumper. It sounds like metal on metal when put in a "bind". Not a bind in a bad way necessarily, just force or pressure applied to the noisy area.

Did you put the rubber insulator that wraps around the springs from the OEM springs on the new springs where they make contact with the perches???

^^^^You see those black rubber things wrapped around the springs? These are to be removed off the OEM springs and placed on your new springs, especially around the bottom rung where it sits in the perch.

dwaleke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Well today I'm gonna try and put some silicone grease on the sway bar bushings, and hope that it helps. Have yet to do any sway bar modifications so I'm not sure that it will do anything but it's worth a shot. My next thought is going to be to try remove the rear bumper of the car, as I think it may be coming from there.
Just pull off the sway bar and see if the sound goes away. If so it's the sway bar. If not it's something else.

Sounds like the upper shock mount is not tight and moving and tapping the two pegs above the mount.

dwaleke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Did you put the rubber insulator that wraps around the springs from the OEM springs on the new springs where they make contact with the perches???
My OEM springs have no rubber isolaters on them. No noise.

OP
OP

BrantMcE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, no rubber insulator. My only reason for thinking it's the bumper is because if I pop the trunk and bounce the car up and down or push it forward and backward, I'm unable to recreate the sound. However I tried pushing down around the bumper and the rear right side does make a creaking noise that gets louder the harder I press. My thought is that maybe something behind the bumper affixing it is not in properly as a couple months ago I was rear ended and they needed to replace the rear valence, bumpstop and repaint the bumper and this noise didn't start until after that.
Sponsored