Sponsored

Rear passenger side rattle/buzz

nolezack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM Performance Pack
Is there a Ford rep who can comment on this being turned into a TSB? This seems to be effecting quite a bit of Ford owners regardless of model.
Sponsored

cush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium with PP, Guard Metalic
Does anyone have an update about a possible TSB on this? (The rear panel rattle I mean)
We'll be extremely lucky if they create a TSB for an interior rattle.... I fixed the majority of my rear panel rattles by putting felt pads on the body wherever the panel may touch, and by gluing weather stripping to the panel where the edged may touch the body. I still get an occasional rattle when hitting a sharp bump on a concrete highway, and I know it's coming from the hard plastic piece that is the interior cover for the "C" pillar. I have not yet devised a fix for that....

cush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium with PP, Guard Metalic
^ This. I think those "additional" undrilled mount areas on the sheet metal are used to secure the ragtop's motors on the convertibles.

I'm thinking, no.... please see the video in this section about a faux roll bar install, the side panel for the convertible is completely different from the fastback. :thumbsup:

Ap8823

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium
I have a terrible rattle on the passenger side rear panel. It's terrible..

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
passenger side rattle...

Search this forum more multiple threads on solutions to this problem.
The plastic side panel is making contact with metal side panel and needs to have some kind of cushioning inserted.

Sponsored

brandonsmash

SMASH!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - PP
Forgot about this thread. I have another appointment to take my car into the dealer to fix this; at 3,500 miles, it's driving me absolutely nuts if I'm on anything other than a glass-smooth surface.

Mach01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Sub'd

Budwise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Mine has gotten really bad lately. It's not the rattle up at the top where the window meets the panel, its somewhere deeper and happens when the car flexes. Turning back and forth makes it happen and god forbid going up my driveway where there's a lip and the passenger side rear tire touches it before the other tire.

Any ideas?

MostlyHarmless

Middle Aged Punk
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Within 10 mph of the limit...mostly.
I had the rattle/vibration in the passenger-side rear seat, near the quarter panel window. My dealer was able to fix it. It was above the quarter window, behind the trim panel where the side-curtain airbag is. There's a rail where the airbag is installed, and apparently it can touch the plastic nearby and cause a buzzing/rattling noise. They installed a "squeak and rattle kit", which basically is just some insulation in the area and that fixed the problem.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Also check in trunk... The rattle sound could be transferring from between the molded felt trunk liner and the cavity behind it.

Pop trunk, go to passenger side 1/4 trunk liner - bang or tap on it, you may here a rattle sound from behind it (something behind it bouncing off the inner metal of the rear 1/4 panel. Remove trunk interior panel and correct what may be loose or rattling.

Sponsored

nolezack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM Performance Pack
I had the rattle/vibration in the passenger-side rear seat, near the quarter panel window. My dealer was able to fix it. It was above the quarter window, behind the trim panel where the side-curtain airbag is. There's a rail where the airbag is installed, and apparently it can touch the plastic nearby and cause a buzzing/rattling noise. They installed a "squeak and rattle kit", which basically is just some insulation in the area and that fixed the problem.
This is exactly how I fixed mine. The clearance between this plastic rail and the metal body is extreme small causing rubbing when going over rough roads.

:cheers:

tritran18518

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Base
I believe I've removed the rear seat and passenger rear side trim panel about half a dozen times, now. Earlier this week I was driving a rough section of interstate and the rattle was louder than it's ever been. It definitely originates from the passenger side, as I was able to adjust my seat all the way back while driving and place my hand on the side pillar trim plastic - the piece that has "AIRBAG" on it. Both pushing and pulling on that trim part stopped the noise.

Last night I was finally able to take the rear passenger area apart again. I zeroed in on the side pillar trim, which has the seat belt bolt through it. I couldn't remove it, but was able to feel under most of it and couldn't detect anything that might rattle. After some consideration and expletives, I refocused on the inside rear passenger window trim piece.

Pushing and releasing it rapidly caused a rattle, which sounded like it was coming from the side pillar trim. Investigated that again, trying to see if I missed something underneath. Nada. Eventually, I started feeling behind the rear window trim piece at the bottom of the window and noticed there are about 4 or 5 plastic "ribs" that, presumably, are intended to space the trim piece from the metal body. I insulated all of them, then reassembled everything and went to bed.

This morning I drove the same section of interstate and there was absolutely no noise. I've insulated just about every bit of plastic comprising the rear passenger side interior that can rub at this point. Hopefully, this is the last time I have to take the area apart.

IMG_5689.jpg

IMG_5731.jpg
Can you tell me how to remove this clip
2016-10-31 18.38.21.jpg
Screenshot_2016-10-31-21-22-56.jpg

Last edited:

MustangFrank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Sorry to bring this thread back to life but I am having a hard time getting my car rattle free and I'm sure there are others with the same problem. I have done just about everything that is listed in this thread. I have insulated the clips, foam pieces, behind the metal bar that holds the airbag, the module in the trunk and anywhere else there is plastic to metal contact.

My next plan of attack is to pad the airbag bar where the metal touches the plastic cover and to see if I can wedge some insulation on the top side of the c pillar plastic panel.

Does anyone have any other fixes for this issue? I love my car but this is driving me insane.

MostlyHarmless

Middle Aged Punk
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Within 10 mph of the limit...mostly.
Sorry to bring this thread back to life but I am having a hard time getting my car rattle free and I'm sure there are others with the same problem. I have done just about everything that is listed in this thread. I have insulated the clips, foam pieces, behind the metal bar that holds the airbag, the module in the trunk and anywhere else there is plastic to metal contact.

My next plan of attack is to pad the airbag bar where the metal touches the plastic cover and to see if I can wedge some insulation on the top side of the c pillar plastic panel.

Does anyone have any other fixes for this issue? I love my car but this is driving me insane.
Are you still under warranty? If you are, have your dealer check it for you. My dealer is the one who took apart that area where the rear side airbag is and put in the foam padding. As you mentioned in your last paragraph, that would seem to be the next thing to do. If you're not under warranty you can go ahead and just do it yourself since that area's really not that difficult to work with...just a pain in the ass to get panels off without scratching them so make sure you use the nylon/plastic trim tools and not metal ones.

MustangFrank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Are you still under warranty? If you are, have your dealer check it for you. My dealer is the one who took apart that area where the rear side airbag is and put in the foam padding. As you mentioned in your last paragraph, that would seem to be the next thing to do. If you're not under warranty you can go ahead and just do it yourself since that area's really not that difficult to work with...just a pain in the ass to get panels off without scratching them so make sure you use the nylon/plastic trim tools and not metal ones.
I am still under warranty, I am going to try to pad it myself one more time before I take it in, just because of the hassle it is to go to the dealer for something like this. But if I can't fix it I'm taking it in.

Do you happen to know where your dealer padded yours? Just where the air bag brace meets the plastic cover? I have already padded where the brace would meet the sheet metal and it did not help.
Sponsored