Sponsored

Rear passenger side rattle/buzz

cush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium with PP, Guard Metalic
Hard Foam Pieces in Rear Panels

Just the presence of the foam in the large void helps with acoustics, or rather eliminating them. Think of that area behind the panel as a speaker box. More volume allows sound pressure to make what we call noise. Road noise, a small stone hitting the wheel well, etc.. I'd wrap the foam in something and reinstall it. Since it is foam, use glue and some pins or trim nails?
So..... I finally got around to pulling my rear seat to see if it was the hard foam pieces that were making my rattles at highway speeds when I'd hit a sharp bump. As soon as I got the seat out, I saw pieces of hard foam on the floor pan (passenger side), I knew that couldn't be good so I reached up inside the panel to see if I could feel where they came from. What I found was the entire foam piece was moving around freely (not attached), just to be sure I checked the driver's side and it was attached (hence no noises from that side). I went back to the passenger side and pulled the piece out.... The small broken pieces I found earlier were from the bottom of the main piece, specifically the part at the bottom of the mounting holes. The locking rings were on the inside of the plastic panel but were pressed all the way against the panel so I couldn't get them off, not without causing additional damage. So my fix, since I'm sure if I took it to Ford they would blame me for the broken part (likely rushed/piss poor installation at Flat Rock) was to take the advice of someone on this post (not sure who actually said it...) and fill the gap between the panel and the hard foam with some cloth... I used a small towel. I reinserted the seat and took it for a test ride.... Yippee! Almost all the rattling from the right rear has ceased! :thumbsup:
Sponsored

imaginager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DHG 2019 Bullitt K3013
I believe I've removed the rear seat and passenger rear side trim panel about half a dozen times, now. Earlier this week I was driving a rough section of interstate and the rattle was louder than it's ever been. It definitely originates from the passenger side, as I was able to adjust my seat all the way back while driving and place my hand on the side pillar trim plastic - the piece that has "AIRBAG" on it. Both pushing and pulling on that trim part stopped the noise.

Last night I was finally able to take the rear passenger area apart again. I zeroed in on the side pillar trim, which has the seat belt bolt through it. I couldn't remove it, but was able to feel under most of it and couldn't detect anything that might rattle. After some consideration and expletives, I refocused on the inside rear passenger window trim piece.

Pushing and releasing it rapidly caused a rattle, which sounded like it was coming from the side pillar trim. Investigated that again, trying to see if I missed something underneath. Nada. Eventually, I started feeling behind the rear window trim piece at the bottom of the window and noticed there are about 4 or 5 plastic "ribs" that, presumably, are intended to space the trim piece from the metal body. I insulated all of them, then reassembled everything and went to bed.

This morning I drove the same section of interstate and there was absolutely no noise. I've insulated just about every bit of plastic comprising the rear passenger side interior that can rub at this point. Hopefully, this is the last time I have to take the area apart.

IMG_5689.jpg

IMG_5731.jpg

Renner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT SOLD-2015 Ecoboost SOLD

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Well the 1st day after I picked mine up I didn't hear it. But it has sort of come back. It does not seem as bad as before though but only certain kinds of rough roads will make it happen. What did you use to insulate underneath that molding - more of the same Velcro? Too bad the picture does not show up close what it looks like under there. Perhaps someone else who does the fix can photograph it. What did you use to release the clips & pull off the panel - is it hard to do?

imaginager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DHG 2019 Bullitt K3013
Once you have the side panel removed you can easily access the window trim. You don't need to remove it, just pull it away from the window and you can feel the plastic ribs. I used camper rubber molding strip that I found at NAPA. It has a sticky back and I applied it to the area directly behind each of the plastic ribs on the car body.

Sponsored

cush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium with PP, Guard Metalic
I believe I've removed the rear seat and passenger rear side trim panel about half a dozen times, now. Earlier this week I was driving a rough section of interstate and the rattle was louder than it's ever been. It definitely originates from the passenger side, as I was able to adjust my seat all the way back while driving and place my hand on the side pillar trim plastic - the piece that has "AIRBAG" on it. Both pushing and pulling on that trim part stopped the noise.

Last night I was finally able to take the rear passenger area apart again. I zeroed in on the side pillar trim, which has the seat belt bolt through it. I couldn't remove it, but was able to feel under most of it and couldn't detect anything that might rattle. After some consideration and expletives, I refocused on the inside rear passenger window trim piece.

Pushing and releasing it rapidly caused a rattle, which sounded like it was coming from the side pillar trim. Investigated that again, trying to see if I missed something underneath. Nada. Eventually, I started feeling behind the rear window trim piece at the bottom of the window and noticed there are about 4 or 5 plastic "ribs" that, presumably, are intended to space the trim piece from the metal body. I insulated all of them, then reassembled everything and went to bed.

This morning I drove the same section of interstate and there was absolutely no noise. I've insulated just about every bit of plastic comprising the rear passenger side interior that can rub at this point. Hopefully, this is the last time I have to take the area apart.

IMG_5689.jpg

IMG_5731.jpg
Did anyone else notice that there are additional places for mounts on the interior wall as well as the backside of the plastic trim/cover piece? But in the case of the wall two of the three places have no holes drilled, and on the plastic piece there are corresponding pillar type devices but no actual mounting tab? That could be a cause of vibration noise as well if they are as close as I think they are when the panel is installed... see attached. The funny thing is I have not seen any comments about the same noise coming from the driver's side which should be a mirror image of the passenger side.... I don't have any!
interior mounts.jpg

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Did anyone else notice that there are additional places for mounts on the interior wall as well as the backside of the plastic trim/cover piece? But in the case of the wall two of the three places have no holes drilled, and on the plastic piece there are corresponding pillar type devices but no actual mounting tab? That could be a cause of vibration noise as well if they are as close as I think they are when the panel is installed... see attached. The funny thing is I have not seen any comments about the same noise coming from the driver's side which should be a mirror image of the passenger side.... I don't have any!
I could be wrong but my guess is that those indentations or places for mounts with no holes drilled are for different models which may have holes drilled & things screwed into them. For example, the convertible.

As for why no one has verified the noise from the driver's side I am baffled too. Perhaps it has to do with those silicone sealer ridges on the metal? Maybe the driver's side does not have them. I would think that both sides would be identical with respect to the inner window trim & the inner quarter panel piece but I don't know.

imaginager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DHG 2019 Bullitt K3013
^ This. I think those "additional" undrilled mount areas on the sheet metal are used to secure the ragtop's motors on the convertibles.

From what I've seen of the driver's side on the coupes, it's exactly the same as the passenger as far as parts and assembly. That said, there are minor tolerance differences in my car on how the trim pieces fit together, particularly the side pillar. Which, coincidentally, affects the rear side window trim piece.

CaptainCrash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
Rattles and Squeals

I think I have the same thing. I have a vibration buzz/noise coming from the right rear. I also think it is in the interior trim quarter panel or possibly rear window trim and temperature related. It got bad for a while the other day. I have it booked in Monday. Plus the brakes (GT PP) make a squealing noise sometimes when come to a very slow stop. This did not bother me until it started vibrating the steering wheel on occasion. Both of these issues do not happen 100% of the time, plus the sunglasses tray rattles too. Just over 3000 miles. I never look forward to getting the service department to look at this stuff that is not there 100%. Let the fun begin!

imaginager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DHG 2019 Bullitt K3013
It's been nearly one full month since the last time I took this apart and the rattle has NOT returned. I've driven it in a range of temps from 50 - 85 degrees; on rough interstate and surface streets; and morning, mid-day, and evening. So, I'm feeling pretty confident that I've got this resolved.

Before getting to what I think is the fix, I should say that I've taken the front passenger door apart and made fixes per this thread:
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20611

And, in addition to removing the hard foam blocks under the rear passenger side trim panel, I've also used rubber camper strip, velcro, and adhesive backed felt on many of the plastic trim panel surfaces that mate up to the sheet metal when the panel is installed. I've made those fixes to both rear passenger and driver sides (even though I really don't think the driver side was ever an issue on my car).

Okay - so the actual fix...

The last time I took the rear passenger area apart I focused on the rear window plastic surround trim and side pillar (integral part). I noticed that if I rapped on it with my hand it made a "different" noise than the driver side. What I ended up doing was lifting (pulling inboard) the lower edge of the plastic window surround trim just to the rear of the side pillar and stuffing two 3/4" thick folded/wrapped pieces of clothe to wedge the window trim inboard. Basically, this stresses the window surround trim out of its natural shape. Reassembled everything - noise gone.

Sponsored

SK GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT(sold), 17 1LE
Any pictures of the actual fix imaginager?

I am hearing sounds from both the driver AND passenger side. Car only has 1800 miles too :(

Starting to really piss me off

Budwise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I have this rattle on the driver side. Do the above pictures show the fix?

Could you direct us to a disassembly instruction for the rear seat and panel?

imaginager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DHG 2019 Bullitt K3013
Much of what I've done is described in other of my posts in this thread. The rear window trim/surround fix is:

"...lifting (pulling inboard) the lower edge of the plastic window surround trim just to the rear of the side pillar and stuffing two 3/4" thick folded/wrapped pieces of clothe to wedge the window trim inboard."

Do that at this location (red arrow):
IMG_5689.jpg

SK GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT(sold), 17 1LE
Care to share some pics with arrows for the dummies like me on how to get the seat bottoms off? Just when you get time.

Thanks!

imaginager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DHG 2019 Bullitt K3013
Care to share some pics with arrows for the dummies like me on how to get the seat bottoms off? Just when you get time.

Thanks!
See this video, starts at about 1:50.

[ame]
Sponsored