Sponsored

Rear differential fluid change process?

cheeser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1, 4Runners and RAV4's
While under the rear of the car, I didn’t notice obvious drain and fill plugs due to the rear diff cooling system being used. On my past car with the 8.8, I replaced the stamped cover with a beefier aluminum cover with drain and fill plugs.

Was I missing something?
Sponsored

VictorH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I don't have a picture but it's super easy. There is no "drain plug." The drain is the middle center line at the bottom of the diff facing the back of the car. There is a little retaining clip that must be removed and then you can wiggle the fitting out of it's holder. Don't unscrew anything, just that one fitting that has a O-ring and wiggle it out of the diff fitting.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Check the YouTube videos out there as there are plenty. I did it on my 2017 GT years ago with the BG fluid swap and it was easy because their product pumped it into the transmission. The differential was pretty simple too.

It's also fun seeing all the metal shavings on the magnetic plug the first time you drain it.

OP
OP
cheeser

cheeser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't have a picture but it's super easy. There is no "drain plug." The drain is the middle center line at the bottom of the diff facing the back of the car. There is a little retaining clip that must be removed and then you can wiggle the fitting out of it's holder. Don't unscrew anything, just that one fitting that has a O-ring and wiggle it out of the diff fitting.
Thanks…that seems to make sense. I noticed one Allen style bolt in the middle, so assume that’s the fill plug. I should have taken a pic while under the car, but when its time to swap, I’ll check out the online Ford manual (purchase for 24 hrs) and download a bunch sections on maint.

Check the YouTube videos out there as there are plenty. I did it on my 2017 GT years ago with the BG fluid swap and it was easy because their product pumped it into the transmission. The differential was pretty simple too.

It's also fun seeing all the metal shavings on the magnetic plug the first time you drain it.
I believe the difference is most GTs don’t have the rear diff cooler, so two ports are used for inlet and outlet…I believe.

VictorH’s comment seems to make the most sense.

OP
OP
cheeser

cheeser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Found this video of of a GT35O going through fluid change process…has the rear diff cooler.

They unscrewed the line from the diff vs removing the retaining clip.

Sponsored

MiamiGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Found this video of of a GT35O going through fluid change process…has the rear diff cooler.

They unscrewed the line from the diff vs removing the retaining clip.

The quick connect fitting is easy enough to remove. I recommend you do it so the drain magnetic plug can be properly torqued.

Remember to push the quick-connect line in fully or you will get a very slow leak.

Also, if you lose the clip (ask me how I know), you can replace them using the 1/2 inch ones in this package from Dorman. I had to bend them open slightly to make them snap on easily, but they are an exact replacement for the OEM.

Knockdown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Just went through this exercise. If you remove the underbody plastic panel, you can access the fill plug easily with 3/8 long extension with a universal joint on the end. The clip on the lower fitting is easy to remove using two picks with bends in them, use one pick to pull on one of the ends of the clip enough to insert the other pick, then pull that pick around to near center and pull the clip. Place clip on cleaned magnet of the fill plug so it doesn’t wander off.
Sponsored