Rear alignment issue 2018 GT

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I am running a 305/35/20 on the rear on a KMC 12 inch wide (maybe 11, I can't remember) wheel. Yesterday I was up under the rear of the car and noticed the inner 2/3 of each tire is up to the wear bars, but the outer 1/3 has much more tread left. This being my first IRS Mustang, I assume this isn't a normal wear pattern. The tires have a little over 30K miles and obviously being directional patterned, have not had any rotation done, as I am not running 305's up front. Is there an alignment kit for these cars? Are there parts associated with the IRS that can/do go bad that would cause this? I daily drive this thing to the tune of 24K miles or so a year and I don't want to bve wearing the tires out unevenly if possible.
Sponsored

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Good looking parts. My 1st time hearing about you guys. Would of ordered that catch can if I had known.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
First, the AAD camber arms are really nice, but it's entirely possible that mileage, and perhaps toe, is your issue. 30k miles is a lot for a set of tires. They have to wear out at some point, you know? The camber setting in the rear affects handling, so if you stand them up, expect less rear cornering grip. Toe is often a contributor to excess wear, so I'd have that checked and then we can make more informed recommendations.

OP
OP
HKusp

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
If I already have vertical links (not on the car yet) all I would need are the toe links and the camber arm link kit?

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
All you really need is an alignment. The camber arms and toe-links might make the job a little more pleasant for the mechanic, but they are not necessary to address your tire wear.

Let's take a step back. How do you use your car?

OP
OP
HKusp

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
All you really need is an alignment. The camber arms and toe-links might make the job a little more pleasant for the mechanic, but they are not necessary to address your tire wear.

Let's take a step back. How do you use your car?
It's currently daily driven pretty much every day, stock suspension, bone stock 6 speed with a cold air intake. The bone stock thing is about to change though. I have a set of Corsa headers, ID1050X's, VMP boost-a-pump, and Gen5 Whipple 3.0 liter going to be installed in the next month or so. Still will be daily driven afterwards.

TopJimmyCooks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Prem PP; 2019 EcoBoost Prem
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like your rear alignment has too much camber for your normal use. Maybe take it down to stock, probably -.9-ish. Also depends on tire...I only got 12k out of P-Zeroes with no track use and no burn-outs. Shit tires.

AAD Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aadperformance.com
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
S550 5.0 2.9L Whipple AAD Drag Pak
If I already have vertical links (not on the car yet) all I would need are the toe links and the camber arm link kit?
honestly for a daily driver id just look at camber arms for now, the stock toe set up allows for a decent bit of adjustment. Id look at toe once you build the car out and do some racing. that way you can swap tabs from race to street alignment.

P.s. Dig the name, love my 45 tactical :)

AAD Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aadperformance.com
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
It's currently daily driven pretty much every day, stock suspension, bone stock 6 speed with a cold air intake. The bone stock thing is about to change though. I have a set of Corsa headers, ID1050X's, VMP boost-a-pump, and Gen5 Whipple 3.0 liter going to be installed in the next month or so. Still will be daily driven afterwards.
OK, so more of a drag-type car rather than a canyon carver. Standing the rear tires up a little so they're on the more vertical side of the alignment window would be a good option for wear. I'd make sure the toe was in spec as well.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Alignment is whack, stock camber adjustment is blind (moving a bolt in a slot with no eccentric), if you want a repeatable solution to your alignment problem, check out our rear adjustable control arms.

https://aadperformance.com/collections/mustang
What a self serving post. While your product is nice, factory parts are totally fine and allow for repeatable adjustment. Even if used on track

AAD Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aadperformance.com
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
What a self serving post. While your product is nice, factory parts are totally fine and allow for repeatable adjustment. Even if used on track
I am going to back track a little here, Yes the op can get an alignment and correct his camber issue. Yes there is an alignment kit we sell that will improve his alignment. For a daily driver are the stock parts fine? most likely yes. I Errored on the side of assuming the OP wanted an aftermarket solution since he asked about them.

My previous post was distasteful, I am no sales man and that's not my job here

An Alignment to get your camber back in spec will solve your tire wear issue. If you are looking for a more permanent and repeatably adjustable solution to camber I can help you out.

I do still maintain that the oem adjustment system is sloppy and has no place on the track or high power cars.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
I am going to back track a little here, Yes the op can get an alignment and correct his camber issue. Yes there is an alignment kit we sell that will improve his alignment. For a daily driver are the stock parts fine? most likely yes. I Errored on the side of assuming the OP wanted an aftermarket solution since he asked about them.

My previous post was distasteful, I am no sales man and that's not my job here

An Alignment to get your camber back in spec will solve your tire wear issue. If you are looking for a more permanent and repeatably adjustable solution to camber I can help you out.

I do still maintain that the oem adjustment system is sloppy and has no place on the track or high power cars.
Much better 😁 👍

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I was going to point out toe but teelew beat me. Toe will cause a lot faster wear than camber does. Check the toe first.

Also, 30k is a lot on a set of tires. When you say the outside has a lot of tread left, how much are we talking? Is the inside bald and the outside touching the wear bars?
Sponsored