Sponsored

Issue after springs/alignment

Ryubb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Base
Hey guys

I finally got my BMR springs SP080 and lockout CB005 installed last weekend. Drove the car for most the week with no issues, got a alignment done thursday (day before yesterday). Last night (Friday night), when I got home, I smell rubber, almost like I did a burnout, but roads were bad and took it slow.
Today (Sat) I went and saw deadpool (awesome movie btw) came home and same rubber hot smell. I can smell it coming from the front tires. I don't see anything out of the ordinary or hear/feel anything while driving, but I can smell it.

Any advice or insight into what is going on?

Edit: I do have a garage, so the smell lingers. Outside at movies or friends, I didnt smell it. I caught a whiff inside the car once with full heat on today.
Sponsored

Sinub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I would say your tires could possible be rubbing on the springs but it would have to be extremely noticeable. Try turning your wheels all the way to the left and right and checking underneath if you haven't tried already.

OP
OP

Ryubb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Base

This is the alignment they gave, does this look out of spec?

OP
OP

Ryubb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Base
Tonight we are looking at snow, so probably Tuesday I'll take it back and see if they can check the front again for any rubbing issues, even if I have to pay a 2nd time, least just for front end i suppose.

From What I seen on forums, nobody else has had rubbing issues with standard tire size. Least within these alignment specs.

Sinub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your alignment looks like it's in spec now. I doubt it's rubbing due to the alignment.

As I said, check underneath. Check the sidewalls and tread thoroughly. If your tires are rubbing against something then there should be marks left.

Sponsored

BayAreaRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang v6
Is there a big o tires where you live ? They are pretty good after alignment they gave me some advice, they mentioned how the wheels on s550's are slightly slanted similar to ( European vehicles ) anyways it isn't unusual for the wheels to be wearing out faster with lower springs. Although your story sounds odd, best advice is to take it to wherever you got your alignment and have them check it out. Or look for unusual wears or marks.

OP
OP

Ryubb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Base
Got back a two hours ago. No rubbing of wheels/struts/wells. They blamed the smell on salt that hit the front part of the exhaust.

Sinub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Got back a two hours ago. No rubbing of wheels/struts/wells. They blamed the smell on salt that hit the front part of the exhaust.
Strange. That doesn't sound right, although I wouldn't know. I know not of this salt you speak of, well except the salt in my food. Why would their be salt on the roads?*Sarcasm*

In all seriousness if the smell persists, I would get a second opinion. Check for the smell after every drive.

OP
OP

Ryubb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Base
Fortunately, the smell has NOT persisted. I do wonder that first night coming home, if someone used chemicals rather than salt that night in the city I was driving from.

Sinub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Fortunately, the smell has NOT persisted. I do wonder that first night coming home, if someone used chemicals rather than salt that night in the city I was driving from.
Let us hope it was nothing serious and a one time thing. Do keep your nose out for that smell though.

Sponsored

jabrax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 ruby red PP GT
My last two times pulling in the garage, I have noticed the exact same smell. This Saturday, I will pull the wheels and check things out. Our roads are heavily salted now, that would be a nice easy answer

OP
OP

Ryubb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Base
I checked both today and yesterday, I did not have that rubber burning smell.

I noticed mine the first day after my alignment, but also snowed 2" that night and I drove home through 2 cities to get home and passed 4 cities on way home (Interstate). The smell persisted for 2 following days. I hate salt cause the sound it makes when driving over it and I did hit salt that night.

The alignment shop did not charge me a 2nd time to check and ensure no tire rubbing was happening and allowed me to check myself after they checked while up on the rack. I nor they, saw anything on struts, wheels, wheel wells.

Let us know what you find, curious if like mine. Lets hope.
Sponsored