Sponsored

Pros and Cons: Engine Options?

NDSP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
I keep reading all over this site and others that the Mustang is a muscle car. Nope. It isn't one now and it never has been. By strict definition the Mustang is a Pony Car and always has been. Muscle car is GTO, Chevelle, Buick Stage 1, etc and haven't been produced in decades. Mustang, Camaro, and Cuda are Pony cars.
Sponsored

redhot91gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 BMW M Coupe
One thing I forgot to mention, when you look at two engines that make "the same amount of power" ie a 300hp V6 vs a 300hp turbo 4, you have to look at the dyno sheets and how they make their power. Under a certain rpm range the 4 banger will make a lot less power than its rival V6, but they both peak at 300hp so "they make the same amount of power." In all reality when you put them in a head to head straight line race from a dig, the v6 will most likely jump ahead and in most cases stay ahead (if the two vehicles weigh the same and have the same gear ratios, or close to it.) The area under the horsepower and torque curves on these dyno sheets, tell a different story than "they make the same amount of power." Ask someone that has a 300 or so horsepower V6 (stock) camaro or mustang, if they have raced a stock 300 hp V8 05-10 mustang. The differences in performance can't be told by simply saying it makes XXX amount of horsepower.
Good point. I want to add that with today's technology and turbocharge designs this isn't quite the problem it used to be. You will see small engines with well designed turbo's (twin scroll etc...) that will perform really good in most of the rpm range. There may still be some areas that will lack the performance of a larger displacement engine, but its definitely closer than it use to be with all the complaints of turbo lag.

NRMStand

Keep in mind also it's not only about what you buy, but when you buy is important as well. I would imagine both the V6 and V8 will be getting a major overhaul within the next 3 years. The 2.3 Ecoboost I believe is a new development that shouldn't see anything dramatic for some time. Depends on whether you care about these things. Some just want the latest and greatest and don't care if something new comes along very soon afterwards to eclipse what they purchased. Others do.

331coupe

Threads
Reaction score
Keep in mind also it's not only about what you buy, but when you buy is important as well. I would imagine both the V6 and V8 will be getting a major overhaul within the next 3 years. The 2.3 Ecoboost I believe is a new development that shouldn't see anything dramatic for some time. Depends on whether you care about these things. Some just want the latest and greatest and don't care if something new comes along very soon afterwards to eclipse what they purchased. Others do.
Good point, I'm sure the 5.0 will get a nice little bump in hp in the next few years, with DI, etc..

Sponsored

Vickstang

There is no replacement for displacement.
No there isn't. But there's plenty to be said for a good strong turbo 4 or 6 cylinder engine. They're getting better year by year with minimal lag, great MPG and great power output. I'm happy to see that the engine options for the 2015 model will run the gamut from large displacement NA engine to a small turbo engine. Something for everyone :)

331coupe

Threads
Reaction score
No there isn't. But there's plenty to be said for a good strong turbo 4 or 6 cylinder engine. They're getting better year by year with minimal lag, great MPG and great power output. I'm happy to see that the engine options for the 2015 model will run the gamut from large displacement NA engine to a small turbo engine. Something for everyone :)
True, but you can always put a turbo on a v8:)...I'm hoping Ford ends up going that route. I'm sure they will one day, I just hope it is sooner rather than later.

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
One thing I forgot to mention, when you look at two engines that make "the same amount of power" ie a 300hp V6 vs a 300hp turbo 4, you have to look at the dyno sheets and how they make their power. Under a certain rpm range the 4 banger will make a lot less power than its rival V6, but they both peak at 300hp so "they make the same amount of power." In all reality when you put them in a head to head straight line race from a dig, the v6 will most likely jump ahead and in most cases stay ahead (if the two vehicles weigh the same and have the same gear ratios, or close to it.) The area under the horsepower and torque curves on these dyno sheets, tell a different story than "they make the same amount of power." Ask someone that has a 300 or so horsepower V6 (stock) camaro or mustang, if they have raced a stock 300 hp V8 05-10 mustang. The differences in performance can't be told by simply saying it makes XXX amount of horsepower.
Please keep in mind that the Ecoboost motors are well known for having their peak torque come very early in the RPM range. The Ecoboost 2.0L in the Focus ST has peak torque come on at 3000 RPM. The 5.0L comes in at 4250 RPM and the 3.7L comes in at the same value. So I fully expect the 2.3L at 310/310 would have similar values at which point, provided the gearing is the same, the Turbo 4 would be either quicker due to weight differences or the same.

As for your assertion that if you want to autocross keep buying the 5.0L, well, for most of us who autocross, that much HP has limited uses, especially in the lower classes where we are required to keep relatively narrow street tires where the power is a detriment. As is the added weight. If the Turbo 4 is indeed coming at 3200-3300ish lbs and the GT at the 3400-3500lbs, there is a certain advantage there. As an autocrosser, I'm not interested in the 5.0L as an autocross motor, what I am interested in is the Turbo 4, it's reduced weight, and it's reasonable power levels.

Donky

lurker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Description of Your Car(s)
I'm interested in the i4, but I'd probably rather hold out for an ecoboost v6 model. About the only v8 offering that would sway me from those would be a naturally aspirated flat plane crank v8.

I've done the supercharged/built v8 route, and I'm ready for something different.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Justin

Justin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2020 Grabber Lime GT Premium
If it's years or so then no, It won't bother me if they get overhauls sometime down the road. I expect overall design to stay the same for quite some time after this "evolution". If the changes are major and it bothers me more than anticipated, I have a feeling it'd be easy for me to trade up after that amount of time. So I plan I guess on just test driving the I4 and V6/V8 and getting a feel for what I prefer(and can afford LOL).

Vickstang

I'm interested in the i4, but I'd probably rather hold out for an ecoboost v6 model. About the only v8 offering that would sway me from those would be a naturally aspirated flat plane crank v8.

I've done the supercharged/built v8 route, and I'm ready for something different.
You'd rather have a force induced V6 than a force induced V8? A turbo or supercharged V8 is the best of both world's IMO.

It's got the low end torque which helps compensate and cover up any initial lag from spooling, and of course the potential for monster #s from forced induction.

Donky

lurker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Description of Your Car(s)
You'd rather have a force induced V6 than a force induced V8? A turbo or supercharged V8 is the best of both world's IMO.

It's got the low end torque which helps compensate and cover up any initial lag from spooling, and of course the potential for monster #s from forced induction.
I'd rather have an ecoboost v8 for the same cost and mpg than the ecoboost v6 or i4. I'd rather have a factory boosted v6 or i4 than an aftermarket boosted v8. I want a daily driver to have some fun in. I don't need a space shuttle.

08gt

Threads
Reaction score
Turbo lag is really a thing of the past. I can't say for sure that's the case for the 2.3L but its virtually a dead topic in this day and age especially when you are talking about the 4 cylinder EcoBoost engines that use relatively small turbos which help to make lag nearly nonexistent. With the 2.0L I know it provides pretty good linear power delivery and I would expect the 2.3 is no different.

Johnb-5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2006 Volvo XC90 GT350