Sponsored

S550 Road Tripping (Leave your long distance pros and cons)

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I have taken my GT on a couple of road trips that were around 600-700 miles round trip and loved it. You definitely want to be smart about gas stops. If you are about to go through a long stretch between stations, make sure to top it off for peace of mind. Another thing to consider, if you anticipate any roads with gravel, debris, etc is getting some kind of clear film put on the front bumper and maybe the hood. It will help guard against paint chips.

Find an alternate route or two with some curves if you like that sort of thing, and enjoy!
Sponsored

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Its a good GT car and fuel consumption is surprisingly low considering. The tank is on the small side and the stereo is lacking. I can fix the latter issue.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Good morning from Kansas City!

New girl, checking in. I havenā€™t taken a road trip in the mustang yet, but the countdown is on. In two weeks, Iā€™ll be driving from the Midwest to the West Coast. Tell me about your longest trip over the road. What have the pros and cons been? Iā€™ll be taking my 2015 5.0.

Happy Saturday! ā˜ŗ
Most of the miles on my 2016 are road trips. Three 5ks and two or three 2ks. Plus many one day round trips. Very comfortable car. More rested at the end of 1000 mile days than in my Cadillac. Two of the 5k mile trips were Phoenix to Detroit and back with side trips from Detroit. The main legs were 2 days 1k miles each. The other 5k was Phoenix to Detroit to San Antonio to Phoenix.

Will post more details here in a while.

Calhoun

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Race Red
As I mentioned previously I use the Stang a lot for road trips and one of the things I do in preparation for the trips is to take off my staggered set of wheels and tires and put the originals back on. My theory is that it may be difficult to find a 285/35/19 tire if I have a blowout in the middle of nowhere. Hopefully the stock size is more readily available available. I did also get the spare tire when I ordered the car.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Ahh to be young again. Ole Mose's bones couldn't handle a ride across the country with this car. Need something with a rocking chair.

Sponsored

CycloneRy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
_
Its a good GT car and fuel consumption is surprisingly low considering. The tank is on the small side and the stereo is lacking. I can fix the latter issue.
Actually, you can fix both! :cwl:

(p.s. this is from the lunatic cannonball run earlier this year - some guy did this to a rental car lol)
Ford-Mustang-Cannonball-Run-Record-Holder-Interior-001.jpg

Last edited:

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
While I dig the mad max solution, one could just fill up some gas cans and toss them in the trunk. I started doing this after taking some back windy roads and realized the only gas around was 87 e10 from a gas station that looked like it was never used.

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
While I dig the mad max solution, one could just fill up some gas cans and toss them in the trunk. I started doing this after taking some back windy roads and realized the only gas around was 87 e10 from a gas station that looked like it was never used.
Well secured I presume?

Echo4papa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Coupe
New York to Florida. 1200 miles in 2 days with my brother. Day one it was all good times. Day 2 my brother turned into Satan. :(

week later

Florida to New York. 1200 miles in 2 days. My brother took a flight home thank you very much. My wife and daughter rode back with me. It was pretty calm surprisingly.

I would of thought it all to be opposite :)

Mustang was like driving a luxury car. It was a pleasure the entire time.
Opposite!

Central FL to the mountains in NY for Thanksgiving a couple years ago in my last mustang (2015 GT Vert). Snow on the ground and side of the roads up in the mountains. Seats are super comfortable, the drive was fantastic both up to NY and back.
Sponsored