Problems with 2019 "Gold Certified" Bullitt -- help requested

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I bought my Mustang CPO in 2019, there was a fee added to the price for the CPO. I used the warranty twice at a different dealership from where I bought the car. I never had to provide paperwork, it showed in Ford's network. I did, however, leave the selling dealer with hard copies of everything including the CPO information- including the inspection sheet. I'm having trouble understanding how the OP managed to not have any paperwork.
As for the OP's light problem, it's obvious the dealer has failed in several areas to fulfill their responsibilities.
They obviously never inspected the car and failed to replace the headlights (Ford would NEVER repair a sealed unit). Here again I'm having trouble understanding why the OP took possession of the car unrepaired? Mine was missing a second key which is required by CPO. I left without it but had a separate signed form stating I was owed the key.
If I were the OP I'd be positively hounding the dealer and absolutely in contact with Ford corporate. The dealers actions are insuportable and I cannot imagine Ford would be OK with the cavalier way the dealer is treating the CPO aspect.
Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Are headlights one of the 172 point in the inspection ? There's probably something that says that they work - which they do, there likely isn't a point requiring checking if they're sealed.

And reason for my previous message - I've seen how dealerships inspect used cars. Good one make sure they're safe to drive. Bad one don't even look unless something is obvious.

Carvana's 150 point inspection was a joke.

Whether they have liability here is a whole another story - they may agree to replace the headlight but if not, it'll be lawyer time and question is does OP want to bother.

OP
OP
bullittt

bullittt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt K3205
I appreciate everyone's feedback.

I've considered the attorney angle and like many of you have said, it may not be worth it. For the cost involved, it's probably cheaper just to fix it myself.

I'll contact the president of the dealership and if that goes nowhere, I'll reach out to Ford Corporate.

Thanks,
Sonny

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
If it was in writing OP is covered. A text message is considered in writing.

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Are headlights one of the 172 point in the inspection ? There's probably something that says that they work - which they do, there likely isn't a point requiring checking if they're sealed.

And reason for my previous message - I've seen how dealerships inspect used cars. Good one make sure they're safe to drive. Bad one don't even look unless something is obvious.

Carvana's 150 point inspection was a joke.

Whether they have liability here is a whole another story - they may agree to replace the headlight but if not, it'll be lawyer time and question is does OP want to bother.
Since it's the turn signals and DRLs that are the issue and both are safety features and included in FORD'S inspection/warranty I'd think that corporate would care.
I do understand that different dealerships are not all of the same quality but he has it in writing that the lights were to be repaired which obviously didn't happen.
Whether it's worth pursuing it legally, I don't know.
I do believe this could all have been avoided had the OP refused delivery until the lights were corrected.

OP
OP
bullittt

bullittt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt K3205
Yep, I should have refused delivery. I was so damn excited to get the car though and they said they'd fix it.

Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 11.04.21 AM.png

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I appreciate everyone's feedback.

I've considered the attorney angle and like many of you have said, it may not be worth it. For the cost involved, it's probably cheaper just to fix it myself.

I'll contact the president of the dealership and if that goes nowhere, I'll reach out to Ford Corporate.

Thanks,
Sonny
Hi Sonny. This would be my angle.

1. They sold you a car with a Gold warranty.
2. Their inspection did not properly identify the modified OEM headlights. At that point the headlights should have been replaced to qualify for the warranty. If not, the warranty should not have bee offered.
3. Due to the fact that the modified headlights were not identified it is up to the dealer to make the repair.
4. If the dealer does not take responsibility for their error then Ford needs to be made aware of the issue. most dealers do not like to hear this.

Now all of this goes out the window if headlight assemblies are not covered in the Gold warranty. But if they are you do have a leg to stand on.

Good luck.

Ps. If you do need to take this further have a lawyer draw up a "wake up" letter to the dealership owner. Will not cost much and might make them jump.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Take that text message to the sales manager. He should agree to fix the light. If not go above his head to the general manager. I think you are SOL on the light without condensation.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
For reference, attached is the checklist used when inspecting a vehicle.

Attachments

Sponsored

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
you are absolutely covered and I wound t even bother with a lawyer and deal with upper management or Ford directly. They add to the price of a CPO car too so they made their money. They got caught not checking the car as stated. be persistent and they ll correct it.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
My guess is that you're SOL either way because they've been modified and you're going to have to either fix/repair them yourself or hire a lawyer. Up to you to determine which one is cheaper.
Ding... ding.... ding.... WINNAH!!!!

That statement is exactly right. As soon as a Service Center goes to check the operation and finds that both headlights were modified - guess what - not only is that not covered under ANY warranty (factory, Aftermarket, Ford ESP or any "Ford Certification"), you'll also be paying the diagnostic fee - because of the fact it can't be covered under warranty.

Any system, part, software or hardware that has been messed with or modified is never covered under any Warranty - manufacturer, extended or so called "certified".

If it were me - I'd trace the aftermarket wiring and remove all of it. Then go on eBay and look for replacement headlights - cheaper than buying at any Ford Dealer. Just make sure seller confirmed operation or guarantees them...

Sucks, but it is what it is - tampered with.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

That statement is exactly right. As soon as a Service Center goes to check the operation and finds that both headlights were modified - guess what - not only is that not covered under ANY warranty (factory, Aftermarket, Ford ESP or any "Ford Certification"), you'll also be paying the diagnostic fee - because of the fact it can't be covered under warranty.

Any system, part, software or hardware that has been messed with or modified is never covered under any Warranty - manufacturer, extended or so called "certified".

If it were me - I'd trace the aftermarket wiring and remove all of it. Then go on eBay and look for replacement headlights - cheaper than buying at any Ford Dealer. Just make sure seller confirmed operation or guarantees them...

I respectfully disagree. The car was supposed to be inspected. It wasn’t supposed to be sold with unwarrantable modifications. This is a failure on the part of the dealer to properly do their job. They need to be held responsible.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)

Except he has it in writing that they would be fixed before the sale. And "sealing" them is not a proper repair, they need to be replaced. And the dealer signed off on and sold him a CPO warranty stating the headlights wre correct.
And something no one else has mentioned is that Gold CPO comes with a 14 day/1000 mile money back guarantee.
Maybe the OP should start making noise about returning the car and see how the dealer reacts to that.
There ARE other Bullets out there...
Sponsored