Sponsored

Problems with 2019 "Gold Certified" Bullitt -- help requested

bullittt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt K3205
Hi All,

On June 1, I purchased a 2019 "Gold Certified" Mustang Bullitt. It was 1-owner car with 14k miles. When the dealership sent me pics of the car (freshly cleaned), I noticed that there was condensation in the driver side headlight. They agreed to fix it as a condition of purchase. I have proof of this in the text conversation with them.

Upon closer inspection today, I noticed that something is off with the blinkers on both sides of the car. In short, on the driver side only 2 of the 3 lighting elements light up properly for the turn signal. On the passenger side, only 1 lights up properly.

Here's a 10 second YouTube video showing the behavior:
Blinkers not working properly

Here are the lights on. On the driver side, 2 of the light elements are on and on the passenger side, only 1 is on. Am I correct in assuming that in both scenarios, all 3 light elements should come on? I believe so but I don't have another car to compare it to.
Screenshot 2023-06-06 at 6.19.11 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-06-06 at 6.19.23 PM.png

More fun:
The dealer is now refusing the fix the headlight because they sold it to me at such a low price that there is no room for the cost of a repair. The car was delivered to me and I signed paperwork about the car being "Gold Certified" (which should have caught these problems) but in my copy of the documentation (which was later emailed to me), the Gold Certification paperwork is missing and they keep coming up with reasons for not sending it.

I have not sent them the video yet and am intentionally omitting the name of the dealer to give them a chance to fix it. They are 3 hours from here so going down and dealing with a person has been hard to do.

Thanks!
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Those head light assemblies are about 1500 a piece.

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Ingot Silver
Hi All,

On June 1, I purchased a 2019 "Gold Certified" Mustang Bullitt. It was 1-owner car with 14k miles. When the dealership sent me pics of the car (freshly cleaned), I noticed that there was condensation in the driver side headlight. They agreed to fix it as a condition of purchase. I have proof of this in the text conversation with them.

Upon closer inspection today, I noticed that something is off with the blinkers on both sides of the car. In short, on the driver side only 2 of the 3 lighting elements light up properly for the turn signal. On the passenger side, only 1 lights up properly.

Here's a 10 second YouTube video showing the behavior:
Blinkers not working properly

Here are the lights on. On the driver side, 2 of the light elements are on and on the passenger side, only 1 is on. Am I correct in assuming that in both scenarios, all 3 light elements should come on? I believe so but I don't have another car to compare it to.
Screenshot 2023-06-06 at 6.19.11 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-06-06 at 6.19.23 PM.png

More fun:
The dealer is now refusing the fix the headlight because they sold it to me at such a low price that there is no room for the cost of a repair. The car was delivered to me and I signed paperwork about the car being "Gold Certified" (which should have caught these problems) but in my copy of the documentation (which was later emailed to me), the Gold Certification paperwork is missing and they keep coming up with reasons for not sending it.

I have not sent them the video yet and am intentionally omitting the name of the dealer to give them a chance to fix it. They are 3 hours from here so going down and dealing with a person has been hard to do.

Thanks!
The minute they reneged on the deal, I would have blasted their shit. That plus being sketchy with the paperwork.

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
car is under Gold certified warranty. You have original contract with that on it.
Unless light s are not covered I don t see a problem.
Your gonna have to call their bluff.
so they didn t catch it cause they don t check anything BUT it s still covered with the warranty.

Sponsored

OP
OP
bullittt

bullittt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt K3205
"Gold certified" should be an immediate red flag. It means literally nothing and is meant to make gullible people think they actually looked at the car.
@kz I'm sure this is true for some dealerships (this one, apparently) but the whole point of getting a Gold Certified car is the 1 year/12k bumper to bumper warranty. They signed off an inspection report saying that this car had a 172 point inspection that included these headlights.

If this were a private party transaction, I'd be screwed. However, with this setup, I do feel like I have recourse. I just need to know if properly working headlights/turn signals work in the way I described.

@cerbomark -- it's sure looking that way.

Thanks!

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yeah, that amount of condensation is egregious. The light will fail in short order from that. I had the same problem with one of my tail lights, but that was covered under my ESP.

If the dealer agreed to fix it in writing then you have them by the balls. If you have no copy of such agreement then you're probably on your own.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
All 3 lights should be on, they do not flash with turn signals.

1686105713656.png
1686105713656.png

OP
OP
bullittt

bullittt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt K3205
@K4fxd Did I understand correctly that the 3 DRL lights are supposed to be white all of the time? Ie, they shouldn't flash sequential amber for a turn signal?

I can see wire taps in the headlight wiring, so something has been messed with. If the headlight isn't supposed to function as a turn signal, that's probably what the wiring is doing.

Thanks,
Sonny

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
@K4fxd Did I understand correctly that the 3 DRL lights are supposed to be white all of the time? Ie, they shouldn't flash sequential amber for a turn signal?

I can see wire taps in the headlight wiring, so something has been messed with. If the headlight isn't supposed to function as a turn signal, that's probably what the wiring is doing.

Thanks,
Sonny
That's correct, they just function as running lights

OP
OP
bullittt

bullittt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt K3205
Looks like this is the mod (or something like it). Headlights needed to come apart and be resealed. That explains why the drive side leaks so bad.

https://www.diodedynamics.com/2018-2023-ford-mustang-multicolor-drl-led-boards.html

Either way, this car passed inspection with these obviously bad lights. They are going to have to fix them. Having half of the tri-bar lights burned out constitutes a safety hazard IMO...not to mention the horrendous condensation on the driver side.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Looks like this is the mod (or something like it). Headlights needed to come apart and be resealed. That explains why the drive side leaks so bad.

https://www.diodedynamics.com/2018-2023-ford-mustang-multicolor-drl-led-boards.html

Either way, this car passed inspection with these obviously bad lights. They are going to have to fix them. Having half of the tri-bar lights burned out constitutes a safety hazard IMO...not to mention the horrendous condensation on the driver side.
Unfortunately, if the dealer is going to play that shady game of deleting your "gold certification" paperwork and associated warranty coverage, then you're kind of screwed or have to obtain legal aid. Since I'm sure in the paperwork you do have the car was sold "as is" with no written inclusions

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
correct me if I m wrong but that warranty should show up with your vin# when any dealer looks it up.
IDK if this might help...if you have not already, load the Ford Pass App on your phone and reference your vehicle by VIN. See if anything related to a warranty shows. I recently purchased an ESP and it displayed via the app shortly after purchase.

There are the people in the front you're wrestling with, but there are others in the back processing all the documents for the program and the sale.

Last edited:

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
......the whole point of getting a Gold Certified car is the 1 year/12k bumper to bumper warranty.
Please tell us all about this "Gold" certification, and who backs it.

I've never heard of it, and AKAIK, it's not a real thing.
Sponsored