FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I ran both 87 and 93, same fuel economy once it learned either. but yields more power on the stock tune using higher octanes.

I felt zero issues driving 87 though, literally had the same exact city and highway mpgs, but once I got tuned, I can only run premium now.
Sponsored

Cobrajet70

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Hp
Vehicle Showcase
Runs whatever you put in then it uses the knock sensors to determine the rpm limit, Rpm is power for the coyote. About once a month we have costumers complain about knocking or popping noise ( not the good kind, and more often the F150 but a few mustangs) while accel even under moderate load with cheap gas from the local quickie mart. The fix has always been run mid grade or better. From my personal 19 and 21, prem gets better mileage but its not by much and at the end of the day its not the reason I always use it. There's also a reason I only use Top tier only in my gen 3 coyotes but my 00 gets w/e.

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
Regular gas (87) is "NOT" recommended by Ford. It is the "minimum" you can safely use in the Coyote & EB. Both cars are spec'ed to 91 for both HP & torque. In the Coyote the power drop is minimal if you drive it moderately. If done this way you will get maximum gas mileage. If you get on it the engine will have to electronically compensate for the lower octane and that will cost you mileage.

In your EB the power loss is significant. You would have to really stay out of the gas to prevent the turbo from kicking in. If it does your gas mileage will go down the drain. You absolutely, positively have to run 91/93 in an EB to get both maximum performance and mileage.

I speak from experience, Had a 15' EB that was sold with 51K miles. Not a single drop of 87, ever.

Hope this helps!
[/QUOTE]

This is straight from the Ford manual, 87 is the tune baseline why would it retard timing if its tuned for 87 it only advances timing if higher octane is detected, I think they know more about their engines than anyone's opinions. It's clear they tuned it for 87 with optional higher octane, if it were recommended it would of read 91 recommended with 87 being optional, of course you get more power from higher octane if the tune allows for it, the V6 gets no benefit from anything higher than 87. I run 91 for improved performance but that doesn't mean opinions becomes facts.
1623176102665.png
1623176151242.png

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
I ran 87 when I first got my GT. Occasionally, I would hear mild knocks accelerating. So, I switched to premium gas just to be safe not to damage engine. Love to go back to 87.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
This is straight from the Ford manual, 87 is the tune baseline why would it retard timing if its tuned for 87 it only advances timing if higher octane is detected, I think they know more about their engines than anyone's opinions. It's clear they tuned it for 87 with optional higher octane, if it were recommended it would of read 91 recommended with 87 being optional, of course you get more power from higher octane if the tune allows for it, the V6 gets no benefit from anything higher than 87. I run 91 for improved performance but that doesn't mean opinions becomes facts.
1623176102665.png
1623176151242.png

Thank you, I've read the manual. So, let me rephrase.

Ford recommends a minimum of 87 octane to prevent your engine from being damaged.

Ford recommends a minimum of 91 octane to gain the maximum performance your engine is able to provide.

Same word, different intent. This is why Ford specs these engine using 91 gas.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I ran 87 when I first got my GT. Occasionally, I would hear mild knocks accelerating. So, I switched to premium gas just to be safe not to damage engine. Love to go back to 87.
I cannot tell you how many times I pull up to the pump thinking, OK, today's the day I put in 87. I just cannot do it. I've waiting a long time to get my Coyote so I'm not going to let a few dollars stand in the way of getting every horsepower I paid for. :like:

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
I cannot tell you how many times I pull up to the pump thinking, OK, today's the day I put in 87. I just cannot do it.. :like:
Me too, can't do it. BUT, when I am traveling and some gas stations or convenience stores have 60 cents markup above regular, I am very tempted.

I settle for 2 or 3 gallons of premium, until the next reasonable place.

Deleted member 35644

Don't think of it as extra horsepower that costs an extra $0.xx per gallon. Think of it as another form of preventive maintenance. If you consistently run gas that's more resistant to pre-detonation, you're sparing your engine that punishment, and giving your knock sensors little to no reason to pull timing. One of the techs at a GM dealership I once worked at told me that spark knock was akin to striking the head of your pistons with a hammer. Why wouldn't you want to prevent that entirely?

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4
The salesman filled mine up with 87 when I bought it. I didn’t realize until she was almost done filling it. I drove her to the gas station because she couldn’t drive a manual. I had to baby it 3 hours all the way home.

tnk_2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT, 401A, auto, CS, Ford SS.
For a performance car, it should be use 91 to get the. Best performance out of the mustang. This question should not be ask. I am a conscious spender but this is ridiculous.

Sponsored

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
We ignore Ford's specification for oil (and additives); we ignore Ford's specification for tightening rear axle nuts; we ignore Ford's specification for just about anything where we think we know better; so why should we listen to Ford's specification for fuel? ;)

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
That depends. How many ugga dugga's does ford suggest for the rear axle?
4 Ugga duggas plus an extra uggga just to make sure.

My dirtbike goes Brrrraaaaaaaaaaap. Lol

Gas octane thread de-railer at your service.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
1623176102665.png
1623176151242.png

Thank you, I've read the manual. So, let me rephrase.

Ford recommends a minimum of 87 octane to prevent your engine from being damaged.

Ford recommends a minimum of 91 octane to gain the maximum performance your engine is able to provide.

Same word, different intent. This is why Ford specs these engine using 91 gas.

If I’m understanding which I am think I’m right, is how I handled it.

87 for me, and 93 was same mpg, because I wasn’t romping it, just daily driving to and back from work

Both got same mpg, never felt 87 was going to blow. I was on stock intercooler and everything. I would still be using 87 and stayed non tuned if I didn’t have sams club 8 mins up road and Costco 25 mins away both I frequent often. I don’t fill up elsewhere

As a DAILY driver, for a regular person like me and your grandma lmao. You won’t see any diff other than power, and honestly. Grandma using 93 and babying it everywhere using normal mode is actually a waste imo.

It’s safe either way. But if you’re riding her hard. Put premium. But I bought my eco to daily, I’m not hard on it much. But I’m tuned so gotta feed the 93

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
If I’m understanding which I am think I’m right, is how I handled it.

87 for me, and 93 was same mpg, because I wasn’t romping it, just daily driving to and back from work

Both got same mpg, never felt 87 was going to blow. I was on stock intercooler and everything. I would still be using 87 and stayed non tuned if I didn’t have sams club 8 mins up road and Costco 25 mins away both I frequent often. I don’t fill up elsewhere

As a DAILY driver, for a regular person like me and your grandma lmao. You won’t see any diff other than power, and honestly. Grandma using 93 and babying it everywhere using normal mode is actually a waste imo.

It’s safe either way. But if you’re riding her hard. Put premium. But I bought my eco to daily, I’m not hard on it much. But I’m tuned so gotta feed the 93
f150 and all other ecoboosts have the same recommendation and they get used up and down in vast numbers on 87 that dwarf Mustangs, so those are not blowing up. Let's ask Joe six pack from the 60's how is all this possible.

Xzavior1818

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2015 SCION xB, 2019 Mustang Gt
I get all my gas from Sam's Club using 93. It's about 20-40 cents cheaper per gallon and I don't DD my stang so I make it work. If I'm a little low I usually throw 10$ of 89 in there never going below 1/3 a tank. Id avoid 87, I feel like it's an "drive normal" or "emergency" fuel at best.
Sponsored