Sponsored

Pre-Filling New oil filter

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I change the oil in all my vehicles...I also pre-fill all the new filters with fresh oil before I install. Just wondering how many of the DIY guys do the same?
I know a lot of people utilize the dealership for convenience but I doubt any get this added attention to detail during their oil change...especially when someone else is performing the service. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
I do this on my bikes due to the awkward placement. My 2004 ninja needed me to burp the oil filter. Only bike I have ever needed to do that with.

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
I've taken to prefilling the filter on the Mustang, due to folks' words here and elsewhere. Prior cars, I didn't.

Unfortunately, we can only get about half full without spilling, due to the angle... but that's better than dry, I suppose!

Deleted member 35644

Done it for years. A little harder on the V6 as it's angled, but I just move quickly to minimize the spill. Can't do it on my Canyon, as it's an inverted topside cartridge.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Never have on an established engine.

The only time I prime a pump or fill a filter is on a first startup on a new engine build.

Sponsored

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
There are two schools of thought on this subject. But I always check to see that the old gasket is still on the old filter when removed and I add oil to the new filter and lightly lube the new gasket prior to install. Been doing it for over 60 years.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Done it for years. A little harder on the V6 as it's angled, but I just move quickly to minimize the spill. Can't do it on my Canyon, as it's an inverted topside cartridge.

Here's a little tip that will work for you. Fill the filter once, the oil will saturate the filter media. Once done you can tip the filter unside down, it holds oil.

Then install the filter, I assume the end game for prefilling. Is to avoid air & speed the full pressurization of the system.

The weted /saturated media, cuts that time for both.

I used to just screw on a filter dry, to avoid spilling oil installing the filter. Dry crank the motor to build pressure.

The filter will almost hold a full quart, and look dry inside. It always takes 2 shots to completely fill it .

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Never have on an established engine.

The only time I prime a pump or fill a filter is on a first startup on a new engine build.
Same. Never have pre-filled any oil filter on stock of modified automobile engine that has been established, for a Ford (or other vehicle brands) and never had any issues at all.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
We used to on a stock car back when I was on a pit crew, but I've never personally done it to any of my vehicles.

If you ever saw how the oil shoots out without a filter attached you would never bother.

If anything, I would do a fill and dump to wet out the filter material, but that's about it.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
We used to on a stock car back when I was on a pit crew, but I've never personally done it to any of my vehicles.

If you ever saw how the oil shoots out without a filter attached you would never bother.

If anything, I would do a fill and dump to wet out the filter material, but that's about it.
Who in there right mind would leave a closed system open like that ?

Filling the filter 1 time will fill the media, no dumping required.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Fill it, don't fill it. Doesn't make a huge difference. Myself I fill it, cause that's what I've always done.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
I used to do it religiously. Both my Harley and the car, be it the Corvette or the Mustang. Then I thought why ? I have extended powertrain coverage. 5 yr/100k. Free service loaner/rental. I let the dealer do it. Build my rewards points. Nap. If my snoring bothers others, it's their problem. :crackup:

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)

Well, how else ya gonna know what it looks like if'n yah don't ? :wink:

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10

It was probably left off accidentally. Things happen!

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I have always done my own oil changes since my first vehicle at 16 years old. (Getting close to 50 now.) I have never filled an oil filter on any vehicle I have ever changed the oil on. (My vehicles and on occasion friends vehicles over the years.) None of the owners manuals for any vehicle I have owned has mentioned it, so I feel it is not necessary. The only oil that gets near the filter on my vehicles before installing is lubing the filter gasket, have done that since my first oil change.

Doug
Sponsored