Sponsored

Oil Filter

B-52 Jetman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT, Johnny Cash Edition
I know there's a lot of topics about oil (I hope this topic hasn't already been covered) but with advances in oil technologies, I think the more important question is: which Oil Filter do you use? Personally I like:

1. K&N
2. Purolator
3. Bosch
Sponsored

Waylap1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT
Motorcraft since I've come across two dealerships in the past that threaten "warranty denial" (although that's bull$hit if your filter meets specs)
But if Motorcraft is what blows their skirt up, I'll use it to avoid the asinine arguments with them before my 36k is up.
Then I'm switching to Wixx performance.

B17drvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th LE #48
The motorcraft is excellent quality. They are made by purolator. I use the ford racing FL820. Check out the specs. I'm very happy with it. I use it on my Boss 302 and GT500 also.

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Speaking of oil filters, with our cars so new I doubt anyone has done their own oil change yet but how does that work. On the V6, the filter is horizontal in front of the engine and the entire area below is covered by a plastic shield. Although I can see the filter from above it looks kind of tight to unscrew and any oil will flow out of it onto the plastic shield below it. do you have to remove the shield and do it from underneath? I would love to see a picture if someone does it.

Sponsored

Waylap1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT
Use ramps, remove the plastic air dam underneath. Change oil and filter, clean everywhere the oil dripped on.
*Save your receipts plus a few photos in a maintenance notebook.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
I am using Amsoil oil filters and their oil.

Reaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 Mustang
The motorcraft is excellent quality. They are made by purolator. I use the ford racing FL820. Check out the specs. I'm very happy with it. I use it on my Boss 302 and GT500 also.
I've always stuck with the MC filters but considered the FR filter. Would it be overkill for a DD V6? The only difference I'm aware of is that it's longer, has more usable volume, and better / more dense internal material right? I've been using the standard filters in my Fords with full synth valvoline in the past and it's worked out great. I dont plan to track her either.

Anthony@HTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Track Pack
I am using Amsoil oil filters and their oil.
Amsoil makes one of the best filters on the market. Although with the Motorcraft/Purolator filter you'd be fine as well.

Fram,KNN , Microguard to name a few aren't any good.

JTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Ecoboost
Speaking of oil filters, with our cars so new I doubt anyone has done their own oil change yet but how does that work. On the V6, the filter is horizontal in front of the engine and the entire area below is covered by a plastic shield. Although I can see the filter from above it looks kind of tight to unscrew and any oil will flow out of it onto the plastic shield below it. do you have to remove the shield and do it from underneath? I would love to see a picture if someone does it.
You have to take down the cover. Use brake clean to get all the excess oil off everything.

I honestly won't use anything but motorcraft on mine.

Sponsored

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
You have to take down the cover. Use brake clean to get all the excess oil off everything.
Ugh, that sounds like turning a simple oil change into a big project. I'm hoping at some point someone can post a diagram of where all the bolts are.

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
I've always stuck with the MC filters but considered the FR filter. Would it be overkill for a DD V6? The only difference I'm aware of is that it's longer, has more usable volume, and better / more dense internal material right? I've been using the standard filters in my Fords with full synth valvoline in the past and it's worked out great. I dont plan to track her either.
What is the difference between a regular and Ford Racing? I think my previous Mustang called for an FL820 filter which I used. The Motorcraft version. Is there a separate Racing version of it?

JTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Ecoboost
Ugh, that sounds like turning a simple oil change into a big project. I'm hoping at some point someone can post a diagram of where all the bolts are.
I'll be able to at some point. Its not as hard as you think. If you go take pictures of it I can tell you what bolts to take out. You'll probably need a 7mm and a T30.

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
That whole thing? They've got a massive shield under these cars.
15Mustang_17.jpg
Sponsored