Sponsored

PPF questions

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
You switched out the Cup 2 tirescon your HP wheels? Too many flying pebbles? šŸ˜
Lol I had read about that before delivery but I was still shocked at how much the cup 2ā€™s pick up. It sounded like I was driving on a gravel road leaving my neighborhood!
Sponsored

Mach1NA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP
@murick, sorry for the delay. The film I installed over my hood is XPEL Ultimate Plus. My detailer also polished out the blemishes you highlighted, it arrived that way from the dealer. After about 2 weeks hoping the porosity would go away... it did not. Both the tech and I agreed that it had to be due to the texture on the matte section. Even though it appears to work on certain cars, like the FJ grey on YouTube, there's a high likelihood it won't on other cars. The adhesive under the film is not thick enough to fill the matte texture. And since I waited 2 weeks to remove the ppf, there was a risk of pulling up the stripe since the adhesive had cured. I opted to add a matte 3M vinyl layer on top of the ppf instead. They used knifeless tape to match the matte profile.

20210820_110048.jpg

20210820_110110.jpg

20210820_111117.jpg

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
@Mach1NA, thanks for sharing the details on the evolution of your case!
Even though it appears to work on certain cars, like the FJ grey on YouTube, there's a high likelihood it won't on other cars. The adhesive under the film is not thick enough to fill the matte texture.
This however sounds like a pretty serious conclusion. Now I wonder, if there is actually anyone here who did the full cover on a non-FJG car and also why there is a such difference between non-FJG and FJG stripes šŸ¤”

ACMEguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 FJG HP 'M3162'
@Mach1NA, thanks for sharing the details on the evolution of your case!

This however sounds like a pretty serious conclusion. Now I wonder, if there is actually anyone here who did the full cover on a non-FJG car and also why there is a such difference between non-FJG and FJG stripes šŸ¤”
I did, my installer did a full gloss 3M Pro on the hood and then added the 3M Stealth over the section of the stripe that was matte. They explained that this solution would create the fewest potential failure points and it the matte ever needed to come off, it would lift the stripe because of the full gloss sheet under it... I'll take some pictures and post them...

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
I did, my installer did a full gloss 3M Pro on the hood and then added the 3M Stealth over the section of the stripe that was matte. They explained that this solution would create the fewest potential failure points and it the matte ever needed to come off, it would lift the stripe because of the full gloss sheet under it... I'll take some pictures and post them...
Did you mean to say "it wouldn't lift the stripe because of the full gloss sheet under it"? I was just hoping the matte layer on top of gloss could be removed without any drama if needed. Though the concern about eventually needing to replace the PPF is always there.

Sponsored

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
Though the concern about eventually needing to replace the PPF is always there.
Stripes can be ordered oem or made or painted or removed, they don't cost much. I wouldn't worry about it all that much. They'll be preserved under PPF for more than a decade, unlike all those micro-scratches they would suffer.

ACMEguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Did you mean to say "it wouldn't lift the stripe because of the full gloss sheet under it"? I was just hoping the matte layer on top of gloss could be removed without any drama if needed. Though the concern about eventually needing to replace the PPF is always there.
I just re-read and you are correct, I meant to say 'will not lift the stripe' if the matte ever needed to be removed because the stripe is covered fully by the gloss sheet... I was typing in a hurry! I suppose if the gloss ever needed to come off then so would the stripe... But honestly it is a very efficient solution because you only 'feel' one bump instead of multiple seams...

OP
OP

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
I just re-read and you are correct, I meant to say 'will not lift the stripe' if the matte ever needed to be removed because the stripe is covered fully by the gloss sheet... I was typing in a hurry! I suppose if the gloss ever needed to come off then so would the stripe... But honestly it is a very efficient solution because you only 'feel' one bump instead of multiple seams...
still need pics. I think what they did for you sounds like the best idea, just want to see it before I propose it to my guy when I go get a quote.

ACMEguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
still need pics. I think what they did for you sounds like the best idea, just want to see it before I propose it to my guy when I go get a quote.
I'll put some pics up today! it's kinda gray outside today so it might make for better pictures... no glare...

jblue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2021 Twister Orange GT Premium 401A Ebony Stripes
Same for me I had full hood bumper entire front fender door cups and door edges done as well as front of rear fender. They cut around the hood decal perfectly. They also cut around the side emblems as I didnā€™t want them to break it. Looks great canā€™t even tell itā€™s there

86A04D45-D711-4AD3-8834-226B2A9D1096.jpeg

CB84B859-E0F3-49C8-91F3-1F53DB9232DA.jpeg

A82F74AB-97D1-4CBC-A8F0-0FF0147F9149.jpeg

6EBF1D3A-07DE-4E9A-8F95-1E8A81225877.jpeg
Good looking car. I really like it, nice color combo.

Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Stripes can be ordered oem or made or painted or removed, they don't cost much. I wouldn't worry about it all that much. They'll be preserved under PPF for more than a decade, unlike all those micro-scratches they would suffer.
I havenā€™t seen a part number yet for the stripes but Iā€™m worried they are going to be more expensive than we would expect.

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I havenā€™t seen a part number yet for the stripes but Iā€™m worried they are going to be more expensive than we would expect.
If they are anything like the old Boss 302 stripes they will cost quite a bit for OEM.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
More than 1k?
I wonder how would those stripes look in 10-15 years of normal usage, might need replacing anyway.

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
More than 1k?
I wonder how would those stripes look in 10-15 years of normal usage, might need replacing anyway.
Looking at tascaparts.com a full set of 2013 Boss 302 stripes run between $1300-$1800. The center hood stripes run between about $360-$564 (higher being the grey reflective for the LS I believe). The Mach 1 hood stripe looks bigger than the Laguna Seca, has 3 colors and more design to it.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Wow. And some people remove it right after purchase šŸ˜ Guess I'll hope it'll last a looong time before I have to figure out what to do with it.
Sponsored