Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
I think I came to the same conclusion. With 10 year warranty, low mileage and sheltered parking I think it'll last for longer and will be better protected (the sides would be especially vulnerable). Worst thing that can happen is that I'll de-stripe it like others do in day 1. Should be possible to order them officially some years in the future too. But I'll make the final decision after I bring it in.
Sponsored

Last edited:

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
Official Ford stripes/decals/graphics whatever you call them are generally very expensive. Makes for a tough decision. I would probably accept losing the stripes as a possibility then go with a good after market company to replace graphics. I've seen some Boss 302 replacements done well after market.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
So the outcome was a question if the factory stripe can outlive the PPF if they are not damaged. I honestly have no idea.
Unless they use a vastly better material than that used for the Mustang GT stripes, I cannot imagine that. After one and a half years ownership (it's really sunny here, but for the night it's always garaged), stripes have various spots on them (maybe there's some special decal wax and shine I can use? I don't know), while paint is still pristine. In any case, I don't feel the stripes Ford uses are of any special quality (I've had to replace some of them), so I would not think twice about replacing them with some other quality vinyl if needed.

Assuming the vinyl is good quality and adheres well to the car, I think the issue with PPF over vinyl is if the vinyl/stripes go all the way to the edge/end of the PPF, so that the PPF does not extend past the vinyl. In that case, the PPF will be a tiny bit higher where there is vinyl underneath it and it will be easier for moisture to get in under the PPF there, which may end up loosening the PPF glue.

The mach1 hood decal looks like it does not extend to the edge of the hood from the front, so that should not be a problem there, but not sure about the other side, ending near the windshield.

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
The PPF on my current car wraps around the edge of the hood including the back and front of the hood.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
After one and a half years ownership (it's really sunny here, but for the night it's always garaged), stripes have various spots on them (maybe there's some special decal wax and shine I can use? I don't know), while paint is still pristine.
This pretty much settles it for me, thanks. Good PPF adds full UV, water, salt, chips, scratches and other damage protection so it'll look pristine for more than a decade. The matte look still looks great with glossy PPF as was mentioned here too.

Sponsored

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
If you want the best protection remove the vinyl, PPF the whole hood, and reapply new vinyl. The hood graphic is cheaper than a PPF wrap and definitely cheaper than repainting the hood. You can ceramic coat vinyl to help protect it.

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
If you want the best protection remove the vinyl, PPF the whole hood, and reapply new vinyl.
PPF (at least the one from XPEL) has quite a few of properties, for which you might want to put anything else under it.

It has an UV protection, it absorbs small scratches (and even can "auto-heal" when heated up), it has a water repelling surface making the washing a bit easier. It attaches the same way to both the paint or the vinyl. If you put the vinyl on top of the PPF, you will mask the advantages of the PPF, and expose the vinyl to the environment.

You can even apply the ceramic coating to the PPF for an additional protection, if you want to go the extra mile. I was told that it works pretty well, but is usually not necessary.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I was told that it works pretty well, but is usually not necessary.
I was told the same, it also costs your second leg (PPF costs arm and first leg). I'll rather use just lot cheaper nano sealant in spray every 3 months or so for the same effect as ceramics would have on the already superhydrophobic XPEL.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
PPF (at least the one from XPEL) has quite a few of properties, for which you might want to put anything else under it.

It has an UV protection, it absorbs small scratches (and even can "auto-heal" when heated up), it has a water repelling surface making the washing a bit easier. It attaches the same way to both the paint or the vinyl. If you put the vinyl on top of the PPF, you will mask the advantages of the PPF, and expose the vinyl to the environment.

You can even apply the ceramic coating to the PPF for an additional protection, if you want to go the extra mile. I was told that it works pretty well, but is usually not necessary.
My statement was from information given to me by a PPF installer who’s been doing it for over 25 years. He started off in the early 3M days when race teams were looking for ways to reduce costs of repainting panels after every minor rub. So I think he knows a thing or two and my take is if someone else is smarter than me on a subject I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt, but he also came highly recommended from the detailer I’ve been seeing for 5 years.

Your point of putting the vinyl under the film forgets the fact that film is glossy or matte…not both. So yes you can PPF over vinyl but then it will become glossy or matte depending on what film you have use. So you can either have all matte paint, or all glossy vinyl. Can you cut the glossy around the vinyl? Absolutely but now you have an exposed edge that WILL gather dust, contaminants, and residues from cleaning products. Can you butt two films together? Sure but unless the installer is very experienced with that you’re not likely to have a great result where the two edges meet.
As for ceramic, no you don’t need to use it over ppf, but it is added protection even for the PPF as it will also help block UV rays from wrecking the film making it last longer.

Bottom line, vinyl graphics are cheaper than PPF and once it’s goes bad your can pull it and replace. If you PPF over it and you want to change it, or the film takes damage, the vinyl will come up with it and it’ll need to be replaced anyways.

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
Your point of putting the vinyl under the film forgets the fact that film is glossy or matte…not both. So yes you can PPF over vinyl but then it will become glossy or matte depending on what film you have use.
This is a good point. The current Mach 1 hood stripe is both glossy and matte and by putting the PPF over it you sacrifice one or the other. The gain is that you add the protection properties of the PPF to the stripe. I believe that for the XPEL PPF it is worth the trade-off, but I am definitely not in the position to argue about it.

Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
For those who have had PPF installed, did you have the vinyl decals on the doors covered? If not, can you tell a difference relative to the PPF covered vinyl on the front and rear fenders? If so, where on the door did they stopped if the whole door isn't covered?

As far as the hood, if you cut around the hood decal then it remains vulnerable to rock chip. However, I notice part of the hood vinyl is glossy and part of it is matte. If you want the hood decal PPF'd would you have them run the hood PPF over the decal and trim at the edge of the matte part and then use something like XPEL stealth over the matte part? I wonder how well the lines from the stealth to the gloss PPF on the hood decal would be?

I am taking my car to a shop this week to talk this over but would like others opinions.
my car has PPF below the side stripes. i did not have PPF installed on the doors above the stripes. i would love to have covered the whole car in PPF but i wasn't interested in spending that much and so far i'm happy with the coverage i got.
I can't tell a difference in the areas that are covered and those that are not. Unless you get up close and look for the edge line where the PPF stops, no one would know its there. Maybe on a darker color it would be different i dont know

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
my car has PPF below the side stripes. i did not have PPF installed on the doors above the stripes. i would love to have covered the whole car in PPF but i wasn't interested in spending that much and so far i'm happy with the coverage i got.
I can't tell a difference in the areas that are covered and those that are not. Unless you get up close and look for the edge line where the PPF stops, no one would know its there. Maybe on a darker color it would be different i dont know
Darker colors definitely show the edge more, especially after it’s gathered some contaminants against it.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This is a good point. The current Mach 1 hood stripe is both glossy and matte and by putting the PPF over it you sacrifice one or the other.
At least this can be easily decided at the detailer by test-putting it on the sticker, the difference between glossy and matte part of the sticker should still be nicely different with glossy PPF. It will get some glossiness depending on lighting but it shouldn't change the look all that much imo. Will see for myself.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
Bottom line, vinyl graphics are cheaper than PPF and once it’s goes bad your can pull it and replace. If you PPF over it and you want to change it, or the film takes damage, the vinyl will come up with it and it’ll need to be replaced anyways.
That holds true for smaller and simpler things (e.g., the stripes on my car), but I'm not so sure about big decals like on the mach1 hood. PPF for the whole hood would cost around USD 400 (3M bulk roll, not pre-cut, private buyer). I'm guessing the cost will be around half when a PPF shop buys it, but I'm not sure the mach1 hood decal would be much cheaper. Might even cost more.

Cost of applying the PPF would be significantly more than applying the vinyl, but I think with a big decal like the mach1 hood, I'd still PPF over it, at least if the PPF will extend past the decal on all sides in a robust way. The mach1 hood decal is expensive enough to warrant protecting it too imo, though I'm sure you are right that some of the aesthetics of the mach1 decal will be lost when doing it.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
That holds true for smaller and simpler things (e.g., the stripes on my car), but I'm not so sure about big decals like on the mach1 hood. PPF for the whole hood would cost around USD 400 (3M bulk roll, not pre-cut, private buyer). I'm guessing the cost will be around half when a PPF shop buys it, but I'm not sure the mach1 hood decal would be much cheaper. Might even cost more.

Cost of applying the PPF would be significantly more than applying the vinyl, but I think with a big decal like the mach1 hood, I'd still PPF over it, at least if the PPF will extend past the decal on all sides in a robust way. The mach1 hood decal is expensive enough to warrant protecting it too imo, though I'm sure you are right that some of the aesthetics of the mach1 decal will be lost when doing it.
Cost is dependent on the installer and where you’re located. To have just my hood done would’ve been well north of $1K with Stek film. If you can find someone to bulk your hood for $400 then I’d say that installer is working for pennies…that’s how much my roof cost and it’s a much smaller and less intensive install panel.
Sponsored