PP2 Owners Chipped Paint

Charles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
19 Mustang GT pp2
I had the same thing on the drivers side. I tried touching it up several times but I'm too OCD to not still have it drive me nuts every time I washed the car. I bought the OEM GT350 spoiler and it covered the defect and fit much better imo. The factory PP2 spoiler doesn't fit the body lines of the trunk all that well because there was sand under it and only about half the tape was adhered. I personally like the look of the GT350 spoiler better even though I understand the aerodynamics may not be ideal.
How was the install? Did the holes line up or did you have to drill new ones?
Sponsored

OP
OP
mach1mustangman

mach1mustangman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
1987 LX 5.0, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same thing on the drivers side. I tried touching it up several times but I'm too OCD to not still have it drive me nuts every time I washed the car. I bought the OEM GT350 spoiler and it covered the defect and fit much better imo. The factory PP2 spoiler doesn't fit the body lines of the trunk all that well because there was sand under it and only about half the tape was adhered. I personally like the look of the GT350 spoiler better even though I understand the aerodynamics may not be ideal.
I was thinking of running the GT350 Track Pack spoiler, but I like the minimal spoiler on the PP2...I just wish it fit better. :/

squid678

Squid678
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2020 Explorer ST, 2018 F-150 XLT
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same issue that I found on delivery of my 19 PP on the drivers side. It appears that the chips are a result of the spoiler flexing by shutting the trunk using the spoiler. The dealer is going to fix this, and I find it odd that other dealers are giving us such a hard time on a brand new car.

OP
OP
mach1mustangman

mach1mustangman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same issue that I found on delivery of my 19 PP on the drivers side. It appears that the chips are a result of the spoiler flexing by shutting the trunk using the spoiler. The dealer is going to fix this, and I find it odd that other dealers are giving us such a hard time on a brand new car.
I couldn't agree more. Your thinking of the cause is spot on with what I was thinking as well. I thought is was just a PP2 issue, but it sounds like its more than just the PP2 for sure.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Put two small pieces of paint protection film in those spots next time. As a preventative no one would ever seen them.

OP
OP
mach1mustangman

mach1mustangman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Put two small pieces of paint protection film in those spots next time. As a preventative no one would ever seen them.
That's another good idea. I was planning on having the whole car wrapped in protective film, but I can't get that done until the paint is fixed. :explode:

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
You can’t put PPF down for awhile after paint cures

OP
OP
mach1mustangman

mach1mustangman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You can’t put PPF down for awhile after paint cures
Right, but this is only prolonging the time in which I was going to have it done. I've had to put it off until I get this fixed.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Right, but this is only prolonging the time in which I was going to have it done. I've had to put it off until I get this fixed.
Do not wait......get the rest of the car done now. Why risk chips to the front end just for the rear deck. I hope I'm wrong but I believe you will regret waiting.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Hes correct. I spent a good 2k on PPF, and have not a single chip anywhere. where there's film. I even had a massive ass rock hit my hood, skipped off it, and shattered my whole windshield, and dented above the hood where I had PPF, no paint chip, just a dent. Lol, size of a pee though, must of been a tip of rock.

It made a glaze mark on the PPF, but zero damage. It just has a little glaze/slight look to it in the light where it made contact. Paid for itself right there.

(I had the following, full bumper, full fenders, full hood) all wrapped around edges. - A pillar+roof line, door edges, mirrors, front and back of rear wheel wells, and I did the entire decklid. I removed emblem, wrapped it, and put the emblem back on. No issues. I also did the trunk ledge loading area, small strip, but I have a gf that is clumsy and hits stuff against the ledge everyday, so that will come in handy.

Also- do infront and behind the rear wheel wells, it doesn't cost that much, but I read people have major chipping in those areas from wheel debris
IMG_0761.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
mach1mustangman

mach1mustangman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I’m planning on doing some of it sooner than the other.

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Hellos everyone,

I purchased my PP2 back at the end of June 2019 and on my way home from the dealership (IL to NC) I noticed a section of chipped paint where the spoiler and trunk lid come together. I called the dealership and told them what I had found and they said they would fix it. Well, they didn’t and I had to have the body shop at my local Ford dealership repaint that portion of the trunk. Well, yesterday we went to drive The Tail of Dragon and I noticed that it was chipped again. I’m beginning to wonder if they spoiler has a defect that comes into contact with the trunk and when I shut the trunk it chips the paint. Has anyone else had this problem??
77EB8A3F-C425-4D1A-B948-03969532AFEB.jpeg
This is terrible - I hope you get this fixed once and for all. Ford quality is really not there...

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Damn, I hate dealers that do not follow through on their promises. Hopefully you have something in writing and/or documentation to take to Ford. Also shouldn't the dealer that did the work warranty it? They should have determined why this happened in the first place and corrected the issue. The time to do the "Right Thing" is now. I know what a pain this is but only you can let them off the hook.
So do I - once the money changes hands, that is it.
Which is why, personally, I tend to be against something like extended warranties - they already give you so much grief with the standard comprehensive/power train/corrosion warranties, that I would not pay extra.
Every time a claim is paid out, that's them losing money. So, it is in their best interest to find every way possible to deny a claim, which is often what dealers will do.
I would say that those who have been able to leverage an extended warranty to great results, often, those are outliers.
I would rather save toward a car "repair fund" off to the side, and have control from this perspective.

OP
OP
mach1mustangman

mach1mustangman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Very true...I'm still going through the steps, but the dealer I bought it from won't do anything about it, I'll proceed through Ford and see how that goes. One way or another, I'll get it taken care of.
Sponsored