Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
1987 LX 5.0, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2
Vehicle Showcase
Hellos everyone,

I purchased my PP2 back at the end of June 2019 and on my way home from the dealership (IL to NC) I noticed a section of chipped paint where the spoiler and trunk lid come together. I called the dealership and told them what I had found and they said they would fix it. Well, they didn’t and I had to have the body shop at my local Ford dealership repaint that portion of the trunk. Well, yesterday we went to drive The Tail of Dragon and I noticed that it was chipped again. I’m beginning to wonder if they spoiler has a defect that comes into contact with the trunk and when I shut the trunk it chips the paint. Has anyone else had this problem??
77EB8A3F-C425-4D1A-B948-03969532AFEB.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Charles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
19 Mustang GT pp2
I’ve got the same exact chip on the passenger side. Very small spot. I just noticed it today while washing it. Only had car for 2 weeks

OP
OP
mach1mustangman

mach1mustangman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve got the same exact chip on the passenger side. Very small spot. I just noticed it today while washing it. Only had car for 2 weeks
That's what I was afraid of. I think after looking at it that the point on the spoiler is too sharp for that point to touch the paint. I had to pay $500 out of my pocket because they claim it isn't a factory defect. I see you're also from NC, which dealer are you dealing with?

Charles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
19 Mustang GT pp2
That's what I was afraid of. I think after looking at it that the point on the spoiler is too sharp for that point to touch the paint. I had to pay $500 out of my pocket because they claim it isn't a factory defect. I see you're also from NC, which dealer are you dealing with?[/QUOTE.
Not going that route. I got my car at a steal so not to worried about it. Plus going to be changing the whole deck lid so I can put a GT500 style wing on. It is a very small chip I didn’t even notice it while doing a walk around at the dealership.

OP
OP
mach1mustangman

mach1mustangman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Okay, cool! Can't wait to see it.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
That's what I was afraid of. I think after looking at it that the point on the spoiler is too sharp for that point to touch the paint. I had to pay $500 out of my pocket because they claim it isn't a factory defect. I see you're also from NC, which dealer are you dealing with?

Are you kidding? Out of pocket? That should have been covered by Warranty AND based on Ford’s own policy, IF a Customer buys a new Ford, they have (7) days from taking delivery of the vehicle to report any paint issues to the Selling Dealer at which point if it’s a true blemish due to defect, it is to be repaired under Warranty.

green97probe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Edge
Vehicle Showcase
My first 2018 GT had a very similar chip at that point on the paasenger side.

My solution was to get a bottle of Shadow Black touchup paint/clear from the parts department and some small artist's paint brushes. I figured my touchup work was better than the possibility of something being damaged more at the dealer.

I completely solved this by trading it in for a Ruby Red GT with the spoiler delete option.

I'm much happier now.

OP
OP
mach1mustangman

mach1mustangman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for the replies...I'll be calling the dealership this AM.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
One more thing -

As odd as a place it is for that chip - many of the factory spoilers have 3M foam backed tape that is applied between the spoiler and the trunk lid. this not only promotes adhesion but keeps debris/water etc. out from under the spoiler.

It’s very hard to tell from your pic, if the tape is there or not. You may need to shine a flashlight between the spoiler edge and trunk lid - but it still may be hard to see. If the tape was misapplied or is just missing, I can see that during driving (hitting road imperfections the spoiler would vibrate) or use of the trunk lid it’s quite possible for the bottom or corner of the seated spoiler “shocking” the painted surface and causing a chip.

I don’t have any other explanation for that exact spot chipping - it’s definitely not from normal driving (ie: road debris deflecting up that high onto that exact location). More so that another member has said he similar damage.

Champracerj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2
Thank you for the replies...I'll be calling the dealership this AM.
I have the same issue on both sides of my 2018 PP2 and have yet to take it to the dealer. I hate taking my cars to the dealer... I tried touching it up but that didn't work.
I've heard a fix is to remove the spoiler, Paint the deck lid and replace the spoiler with 2 layers of the adhesive material to space it off the deck lid a little more so it can't flex and touch.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I called the dealership and told them what I had found and they said they would fix it. Well, they didn’t and I had to have the body shop at my local Ford dealership repaint that portion of the trunk.
I presume the dealership you called was the one in IL. How did they tell you that "they" would fix it? Do you have any proof that they said this? Did the local dealership charge you or was it under warranty? I hope it was under warranty since there is no way in hell that you should have paid for this.
Either way, they, the local dealer needs to redo it. Champracerj is spot on. You need to insist that it be done this way. If you face any resistance contact Ford and start a case.

OP
OP
mach1mustangman

mach1mustangman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I presume the dealership you called was the one in IL. How did they tell you that "they" would fix it? Do you have any proof that they said this? Did the local dealership charge you or was it under warranty? I hope it was under warranty since there is no way in hell that you should have paid for this.
Either way, they, the local dealer needs to redo it. Champracerj is spot on. You need to insist that it be done this way. If you face any resistance contact Ford and start a case.
Yes, I contacted the dealership I got it from (IL) and they said the would take care of it. All I had to do is take it the local dealer to have it repaired...then when the local dealer reached out to them, they said they weren't covering it. My local dealer also proceeded to tell me that it wasn't a factory defect and wouldn't be covered under any warranties. I then paid for it out of pocket to get my car back and now I have to deal with all of this again. I've had to start cases with Ford before for my wife's 2013 Explorer because of the fuel pump and fuel smell issue, but I like to give the dealers the time to do the right thing before I call in the big dogs.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Yes, I contacted the dealership I got it from (IL) and they said the would take care of it. All I had to do is take it the local dealer to have it repaired...then when the local dealer reached out to them, they said they weren't covering it. My local dealer also proceeded to tell me that it wasn't a factory defect and wouldn't be covered under any warranties. I then paid for it out of pocket to get my car back and now I have to deal with all of this again. I've had to start cases with Ford before for my wife's 2013 Explorer because of the fuel pump and fuel smell issue, but I like to give the dealers the time to do the right thing before I call in the big dogs.
Damn, I hate dealers that do not follow through on their promises. Hopefully you have something in writing and/or documentation to take to Ford. Also shouldn't the dealer that did the work warranty it? They should have determined why this happened in the first place and corrected the issue. The time to do the "Right Thing" is now. I know what a pain this is but only you can let them off the hook.

OP
OP
mach1mustangman

mach1mustangman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Damn, I hate dealers that do not follow through on their promises. Hopefully you have something in writing and/or documentation to take to Ford. Also shouldn't the dealer that did the work warranty it? They should have determined why this happened in the first place and corrected the issue. The time to do the "Right Thing" is now. I know what a pain this is but only you can let them off the hook.
Yes, I know the dealer will warranty this work that was just done. They are good for that, and have been in the past.

Jester46

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I had the same thing on the drivers side. I tried touching it up several times but I'm too OCD to not still have it drive me nuts every time I washed the car. I bought the OEM GT350 spoiler and it covered the defect and fit much better imo. The factory PP2 spoiler doesn't fit the body lines of the trunk all that well because there was sand under it and only about half the tape was adhered. I personally like the look of the GT350 spoiler better even though I understand the aerodynamics may not be ideal.
Sponsored