jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
I’m not savvy enough on a computer to post a link, but here’s a picture of the power gains Brenspeed got with just a JLT intake no tune, 35-40hp! I’m impressed!if someone wants to post the link I’d very much appreciate. It’s on Brenspeed YouTube.
646C36DB-C6D1-43CD-B303-A1F5B8B339C8.jpeg

SuperSnake427

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500, 2001 Mustang, 1967 Mustang Fastback, 1966 Shelby Cobra
Why does the neck look like it has cracks/holes in at 1:48 when he holds it up? Anyone have one? Is this actually a quality piece?

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
Why does the neck look like it has cracks/holes in at 1:48 when he holds it up? Anyone have one? Is this actually a quality piece?
If your talking about inside the neck, thats a glare from the light shining in.

OP
OP
jwhite

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
No cracks, lol yes very quality part,

AMBJR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ALLEN
Vehicle(s)
03 Mustang Cobra-20 GT500
I’m not savvy enough on a computer to post a link, but here’s a picture of the power gains Brenspeed got with just a JLT intake no tune, 35-40hp! I’m impressed!if someone wants to post the link I’d very much appreciate. It’s on Brenspeed YouTube.
646C36DB-C6D1-43CD-B303-A1F5B8B339C8.jpeg
The dyno pull with the JLT needs to be done with the hood "CLOSED" to compare with the "STOCK CLOSED" system!!!!

OP
OP
jwhite

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
The dyno pull with the JLT needs to be done with the hood "CLOSED" to compare with the "STOCK CLOSED" system!!!!
It’s not shown on video, I seen a pull without stock cover, still not even close to 690.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.

Don's Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500. 2018 C63S
I like how they say they got it to seal as the best they could. It will never seal as well as the factory intake. In daily life the stock intake will be better. Maybe at the drag strip or full throttle it might give you more HP, but at low to mid throttle, or driving around town I'll take the factory intake.

I have had a few JLT intakes in the past, they may seal ok when new but give it a few weeks the seals will deteriorate or deform and you will start sucking in hot air. When someone comes out with a intake tube without the accordion elbow, that will fit into the factory closed airbox, it will smooth out the airflow and be better than the JLT

if you really want to cool down the air going into your engine, a intake isn't the way to do it, only upgraded intercoolers will lower air going into the engine.

Don't believe the JLT hype, do they really have air flow engineers who can design a more efficient intake, my guess is no. The intake for the GT500 looks the same as everything they have made for a decade, I don't see anything new or innovative

I had a JLT on my 2011, had trouble tunning the car. I am no engineer but have some common scene, designing my own intake from different new and used parts, the driveability was much better and it made 40 more RWHP. Yes I know it sucked in hot air, but at least it was tuneable
IntakeRFE.JPG

Last edited:

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
An excellent perspective, Don...thank you as I WAS going to get that intake. But, since I'm nothing more than Joe Schmucatelli and know very little beyond the basics of the ICE, your comments made the decision for me.

I'll never be one of the knowledgeable types here but I will continue to be impressed with folks like you, Tob, Mark, Jaime, Tom, Don H., and many, many others. This forum has given me SO much information about the car, it's incredible.

Don's Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500. 2018 C63S
An excellent perspective, Don...thank you as I WAS going to get that intake. But, since I'm nothing more than Joe Schmucatelli and know very little beyond the basics of the ICE, your comments made the decision for me.

I'll never be one of the knowledgeable types here but I will continue to be impressed with folks like you, Tob, Mark, Jaime, Tom, Don H., and many, many others. This forum has given me SO much information about the car, it's incredible.
Give the aftermarket time to develop products for our cars, someone will release something better. I took the lid off my intake the other day. The intake tube is easily removable without removing the sealed air box, someone will come out with a tube that will work with the sealed air box. When that comes out that will be the route I will go

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
Using common sense an intake system for the most part is pretty simple system....at least to me, and i will admit boldly i am not an engineer in any aspect of this conversion but not sure i need to be. Seems to me there are few main parts at creating a good intake system that can affect the gains seen. I think the JLT system accomplishes most of them maybe not the best but good, and not knowing the stock systems limitations all i can do is speculate

1. intake track diameter and smoothness, i think JLT accomplishes this, is it big enough? IDK, but definately bigger/better than OEM
2. filter media flow and size, i am just going to assume the JLT air filter flows better and has more flow potential than stock
3. and lastly air quality and volume, this is probably the grayest area for me, I have no idea if the front snorkel intake is a restriction on the OEM closed system or not, if it is then the seal to hood openish style JLT setup is going to be able to flow more air, whether it needs to over the front snorkel IDK. And for the sealing against the hood whether tight or not so tight IMO only matters if the gap is HUGE and if the places for other air to enter are nonexistent and for the GT500 i would say it can pull extra air from inside fender area and headlight area. Course having all the coolers on the front may mean these open areas where normally you could pull cool air from may be contaminated with hot heat exchanger air. Only a good analysis of AIT with different setups will help determine where and how to get good air. A close system like stock GT500 is only the best(from air temp/quality perspective) if the front grill intake is NOT a restriction

And dyno numbers with hood up, hood down, closed box, open box, heat shield, no heat shield, driving, sitting still, etc all come into play on the REAL world gains. My first thought in seeing the GT500 stock intake is the elbow is TINY and not smooth and likely the main area to address.

Sorry for all the rambling, at this point i don't have a cold air/intake system and will likely use JLT, mainly cause i think overall its a nice setup.

Skwibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT500, '17 2SS (previous)
Will be keeping an eye on this thread, would also like to see a closed hood run and more info about seal.

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yeah a close hood run with JLT vs OEM vs closed hood run with OEM no lid would be good to see......won't be 'smoking gun' but should give us some information to chew on...

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well wouldn't you know it, my JLT intake came in! It was on backorder so i didn't figure i would have it this quick. I have to say it is a very nice piece. Fit and finish is perfect, it is tight squeeze but everything falls into place and lines up great. Still connects to the front grill scoop factory like. I have ZERO complaints. I honestly cannot see how or what to improve on it? I know many use the 1320 intakes and claim more HP, so i am puzzled how? The intake elbow is Very large necking down to still very large (larger than TB opening), the silicone TB adapter is necked down so I assume once i go to bigger TB i won't need a neckdown silicone spacer but just straight one. Filter is HUGE. I am happy and still very curious how the 1320 intake makes more power because i just do not see any flaws in this setup. By the way i got a outerwear prefilter for daily driving to keep the bugs out of it.
jlt CAI.jpg