Power gains no tune JLT !

Skwibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT500, '17 2SS (previous)
Well wouldn't you know it, my JLT intake came in! It was on backorder so i didn't figure i would have it this quick. I have to say it is a very nice piece. Fit and finish is perfect, it is tight squeeze but everything falls into place and lines up great. Still connects to the front grill scoop factory like. I have ZERO complaints. I honestly cannot see how or what to improve on it? I know many use the 1320 intakes and claim more HP, so i am puzzled how? The intake elbow is Very large necking down to still very large (larger than TB opening), the silicone TB adapter is necked down so I assume once i go to bigger TB i won't need a neckdown silicone spacer but just straight one. Filter is HUGE. I am happy and still very curious how the 1320 intake makes more power because i just do not see any flaws in this setup. By the way i got a outerwear prefilter for daily driving to keep the bugs out of it.
jlt CAI.jpg
Looks great man. Got any pics of that pre-filter?

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Tony: I'd never heard of a pre-filter for the air filter nor had I heard of Outerwears. But, there are so many, would you be so kind as to tell us which one fit the larger JLT as I presume it would fit the OEM. If not, have a suggestion?

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
I probably had the size and shape on the packaging.....ugh...but threw it away. Anyway i got them through JLT direct and they list 2 different sizes, one for there larger S&B filter and one for the stock one. I ride bikes and quads in the sand and have used outwears for 20+ years (formerly pantyhose was used). They really help keep the big stuff out of the filter without affecting flow. I am sure they do restrict a bit and there is probably some data out there. I plan to run it while driving it for the most part but would take off at the drag strip, although not sure it would matter.
jlt outerwear.jpg
Capture.PNG

Skwibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I probably had the size and shape on the packaging.....ugh...but threw it away. Anyway i got them through JLT direct and they list 2 different sizes, one for there larger S&B filter and one for the stock one. I ride bikes and quads in the sand and have used outwears for 20+ years (formerly pantyhose was used). They really help keep the big stuff out of the filter without affecting flow. I am sure they do restrict a bit and there is probably some data out there. I plan to run it while driving it for the most part but would take off at the drag strip, although not sure it would matter.
jlt outerwear.jpg
Capture.PNG
Gotcha, thanks.

I had it imagined as a secondary metal mesh you put on the entrance of the airbox from the front, not a covering for the filter itself.

If you take a flashlight to the air intake through to the airbox, you could cleanly see the filter and I'm pretty sure the only grill guarding it is the front one integrated in the bumper.

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gotcha, thanks.

I had it imagined as a secondary metal mesh you put on the entrance of the airbox from the front, not a covering for the filter itself.

If you take a flashlight to the air intake through to the airbox, you could cleanly see the filter and I'm pretty sure the only grill guarding it is the front one integrated in the bumper.
100% straight shot to the air filter with the only thing stopping stuff is the grill mesh. Outerwears are also water repellent. Guaranteed you will have bugs caked in your air filter whether stock or aftermarket. Prefilter will keep these out of the filter.

Skwibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
100% straight shot to the air filter with the only thing stopping stuff is the grill mesh. Outerwears are also water repellent. Guaranteed you will have bugs caked in your air filter whether stock or aftermarket. Prefilter will keep these out of the filter.
How long you generally keep one on for?

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How long you generally keep one on for?
Forever.....On my quads, UTV's, and trikes I keep them on forever. When the filter needs cleaned or serviced i just wash them with soap and water and brand new! They generally never 'clog' up or even get dirty unless your filter is heavily oiled. I have outwears that are old as dirt and still look new after cleaned, normally the only thing that fails is the elastic that keeps them on. I will say however that i have never used an outerwear on a street car cause normally the path to the air filter is obstructed enough to keep the bugs out, but found on my SS that lots of bugs were in the filter media, and its not even a straight shot, hence why i got one for the 500.