JLT Intake testing

Dunk812

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Rapid Red
Thats exactly it, they will be able to see that car was tuned, even if returned to stock.
You don’t do more then a cold air intake tune then it would not mess with warranty. Same used be true with shift points and stuff as long as you did not mess with redline but not sure with DCT if that’s true anymore
Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
You don’t do more then a cold air intake tune then it would not mess with warranty. Same used be true with shift points and stuff as long as you did not mess with redline but not sure with DCT if that’s true anymore
Correct about the intake, and that is why I will probably get one.

I am not willing to play the game if the car has any issues, related or unrelated to a tune. For me, this car is too expensive to gamble. That and what am I going to do with more HP than I already have? The car is too fast for the streets, and I don't need any more help avoiding the fuzz :bandit:

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Thanks, Jaime and I was afraid you'd tell me that. Oh well, it'll be a long time before I feel like my girl is under-powered and needs a tune.

Hopefully that will be about when the warranty runs out in seven or eight years, I forget. <smiling and shaking my head at my poor memory>

Still sucks seeing the substantial gains being made just with a tune. I should have known that by now the Big Boys would have figured the whole "tune thing" out. I wonder how badly this had affected the tuners' business? I can't imagine too many will want to risk the warranty over it on this or any other fairly expensive vehicle. Stuff is just too damn expensive these days and God only knows what the parts for this girl will cost...geeze.

Which brings me to a question my feeble brain had today, or yesterday, I can't remember <chuckling ..are the clutches in the DCT considered to be "clutches" by Ford and thus, like brakes and tires, not under warranty? inquiring minds would like to know...you know? :-)

OP
OP
V00D00

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Ken does a great job on his videos. No BS and always methodical. I generally don't follow the whole YouTube gang but his stuff I'll gladly watch.
and no fluffer videos, when he has something, it goes up, if not, no video. I can also attest he avoids drama like the plague lol

Thats exactly it, they will be able to see that car was tuned, even if returned to stock.
mmmmm.. clarify that please.. dealer can see when things were reset, but not what was changed.. so as long as its not catastrophic, its not an issue.

and to be fair, it is LAW that any denied warranty has to be because the modifications induced the issue.

and then back to the morality thing.. but thats on everyone as themselves.

My radiator for instance, wasnt covered.. not worth arguing over it, how does a tune crack a radiator fin? would a stock car that has a radiator fin bust be covered? i dont know.. seems like bad luck to me.. but i wasnt about to waste time debating it

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
it is LAW that any denied warranty has to be because the modifications induced the issue.
Steve: First, can you point me to a link that verifies this?

Like a moron, I just ASSUMED that if Ford is aware that someone, somewhere loaded data twice to the ECU, then the entire warranty would be negated. If this had been done during service by an authorized dealer, it would be in Ford's records so if there was no record, then they'd have "a case" or at least that's my uneducated guess.

Second..I am going to assume from your post that you did at least test the "warranty waters" with the radiator issue? But, like my experience learning that brakes and clutches are not warrantied, I can certainly see where Ford would say a flying rock wasn't either. Using that logic, I don't think they would replace mine if I got a leak from a rock.

Finally, do you have any thoughts on the "clutches" in the DCT with regard to the warranty? I read as much legalese as I could stand and couldn't determine the answer one way or another. I love the way Sport mode downshifts but if I'm creating excessive clutch wear that may cost me a bundle down the road, I may start switching to Normal from time to time.

Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
and no fluffer videos, when he has something, it goes up, if not, no video. I can also attest he avoids drama like the plague lol

mmmmm.. clarify that please.. dealer can see when things were reset, but not what was changed.. so as long as its not catastrophic, its not an issue.

and to be fair, it is LAW that any denied warranty has to be because the modifications induced the issue.

and then back to the morality thing.. but thats on everyone as themselves.

My radiator for instance, wasnt covered.. not worth arguing over it, how does a tune crack a radiator fin? would a stock car that has a radiator fin bust be covered? i dont know.. seems like bad luck to me.. but i wasnt about to waste time debating it
Steve, although you aren't wrong, you aren't completely right either. I am not here to get into the massive world of warranty coverage issues, for which I have seen some really bad ones, I am just stating what I know to be true. The techs can see when a car has been flashed. Every time a flash is performed, a "ghost" record of it is burned in. I know you already know this, I am just stating this for those who did not. If they find a flash, and the problem with the car is anything related to driveline, BOOM, denied. Yes, if your navigation, electrical system, or something non related to driveline has an issue, you will be fine.

They would ultimately have to prove the damage in question was directly related to the aftermarket tune, but I have seen too many times, where people are being denied for all sorts issues once they look and find out the PCM was flashed. The problem is, they deny it, and it is on you to fight the claim. I do not have the desire, money, or time to go down that road on any car, let alone one of this cost.

Didn't Tremec makes statements about the transmission is already at the peak of its ability? Meaning it really should not be stressed with more HP, or TQ, as it is from the factory? If so, you can bet your bottom dollar they will deny a warranty transmission claim the second they see a tune was flashed. Everyone knows the TCM has not ben deciphered yet, but they will droop the claim like a bad habit, instantly, without question.

I can appreciate the decisions many people, including yourself, do to these cars to make more HP, and to be faster. I have reached a point in my life, and especially with this car, that I can not drive the car (or any car) to its ability now, due to rules of the road, and this car is among the fastest cars off the showroom floor, from day one. If you look at my last two builds, I threw caution to the wind and built a 1,000 HP monster, and changed almost everything on the car. It was a risk I was willing to take with a 40K car. Not one I feel like taking on an 83k car, that's all.

Now, in one to two years time, when we get a better understanding of how this car responds to modifications, I just may get a PB tune. I just want to see what happens as these cars hit the streets, and more people start tinkering.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Like a moron, I just ASSUMED that if Ford is aware that someone, somewhere loaded data twice to the ECU, then the entire warranty would be negated. If this had been done during service by an authorized dealer, it would be in Ford's records so if there was no record, then they'd have "a case" or at least that's my uneducated guess.

Second..I am going to assume from your post that you did at least test the "warranty waters" with the radiator issue? But, like my experience learning that brakes and clutches are not warrantied, I can certainly see where Ford would say a flying rock wasn't either. Using that logic, I don't think they would replace mine if I got a leak from a rock.

Finally, do you have any thoughts on the "clutches" in the DCT with regard to the warranty? I read as much legalese as I could stand and couldn't determine the answer one way or another. I love the way Sport mode downshifts but if I'm creating excessive clutch wear that may cost me a bundle down the road, I may start switching to Normal from time to time.
Kent, yes they can see it was flashed. They will more thank likely denied any claim to do with driveline, but they more than likely will not deny claims of issues outside driveline. I would go so far as to say, I believe Ford is hyper sensitive to warranty claims, from the GT350 issues.

I would NOT worry about the clutches, drive it like you like it, you will be fine.

OP
OP
V00D00

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Id have to do a deep search, its been a while

Of course we are going to ask if things are covered, thats just normal. I feel like had the car not been modded, they would have covered it. Not neccessarily because its a warrantied item, but more so because of the car itself, a good faith type thing

DCT hasnt really been tested, and by that i mean the DCT, not the clutches. I know people have smoked clutches already, but the DCT itself seems to be holding up rather fine, in current form.. which is why its taking so much hp to go fast. Tremec really did a phenominal job with this thing, the driveability, the charachter in different modes, preventing abuse lol

Steve, although you aren't wrong, you aren't completely right either. I am not here to get into the massive world of warranty coverage issues, for which I have seen some really bad ones, I am just stating what I know to be true. The techs can see when a car has been flashed. Every time a flash is performed, a "ghost" record of it is burned in. I know you already know this, I am just stating this for those who did not. If they find a flash, and the problem with the car is anything related to driveline, BOOM, denied. Yes, if your navigation, electrical system, or something non related to driveline has an issue, you will be fine.

They would ultimately have to prove the damage in question was directly related to the aftermarket tune, but I have seen too many times, where people are being denied for all sorts issues once they look and find out the PCM was flashed. The problem is, they deny it, and it is on you to fight the claim. I do not have the desire, money, or time to go down that road on any car, let alone one of this cost..
Im not sure if I do know what you are referencing. I recall a heated convo with someone about this, but they never stated specifics. as far as I know, there is no record that cant/isnt erased, other than a flash counter, and starts since flash counter. if you could, point me in the direction of more information

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Why are people not addressing the weight portion of the equation? The solution is more of a horsepower to weight ratio and lets face it... the 500 is a PIG. Steve, if your focus is on a drag only car, why not ditch the big ass front rotors and set yourself up with a drag focused front end brake setup and then start looking elsewhere?

I know what I am going to do. Drag or track, it still is a horsepower to weight ratio.

OP
OP
V00D00

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Why are people not addressing the weight portion of the equation? The solution is more of a horsepower to weight ratio and lets face it... the 500 is a PIG. Steve, if your focus is on a drag only car, why not ditch the big ass front rotors and set yourself up with a drag focused front end brake setup and then start looking elsewhere?

I know what I am going to do. Drag or track, it still is a horsepower to weight ratio.
Im addressing the weight as much as possible, within the pocketbook confines, as well as not destroying the character and overall feel/intent of the car.

DE-Evolutions silver car, is ruined to me.

I will swap to a lighter rotor, in addition to the wheels, but no smaller. Ill look at suspension bits ONLY if it reduces weight AND functions as good or better than OEM. Not sure how I feel about $2k for a CF hood and 20lbs. Ive been told lithium battery is out since we run higher voltages for fuel.pumps.

I dont know what else there is that checks all my boxes

If i wanted a drag car, id do as early trolls suggested, get a GT and save 60k.

But u already know, this car is built and priced as such, to be much more than a drag car. In fact, a singe day of 9.7/145+mph and it will probably never hit another drag strip.

Fast fun true street car, and roll racing

Sponsored

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
Is the car safe with factory tune and JLT intake?

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Im not sure if I do know what you are referencing. I recall a heated convo with someone about this, but they never stated specifics. as far as I know, there is no record that cant/isnt erased, other than a flash counter, and starts since flash counter. if you could, point me in the direction of more information
Steve, we are thinking of the same thing, when I say ghost, I just mean the flash counter. As in, if the flash counter is not matched in their database, they know it was flashed.

OP
OP
V00D00

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Steve, we are thinking of the same thing, when I say ghost, I just mean the flash counter. As in, if the flash counter is not matched in their database, they know it was flashed.
ok, i understand what your saying.

Risking the warranty is just not worth it for this old salt. Besides, it's not like the car is a dog. <chuckling>

As Albert E. was known to say,

"It's all relative." <smile>
intake wont void a warranty,, and youd likely gain 1psi/ 20hp+ and some mpg if you can stay out of the throttle :)
Sponsored