Phoenix PX6 Review...

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Guys, I'll stop trying to convince people just to install a Scosche Dash kit and a reputable head unit at this point, because clearly people would rather spend more money for a lesser product, just because "muh big screen..."

If you're paying $100 for "custom firmware," you're getting raped. It's not firmware, it's just a reskinned launcher, and there are a million ways to do it for free. Phoenix Radios is just a reseller of the units as they come in from China- they have no dev team, there are no "engineers" despite what they may tell you.

I still have 2 different Android head units, one of the "Tesla" units, and an 8" screen model than I mess with on the bench from time to time. If you're willing to learn, I can help you guys accomplish what you're after.
First, the Scosche and Metra kits have plenty of their own reliability issues, so they aren't some angelic Godsend in any way.

Second, the guy who is doing those "reskins", is actually changing and/or adding some of the operations of the A/C system with better controls, and other functions that are not available on the original unit. Not just making it look better, which is of course needed as well.
Sponsored

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
First, the Scosche and Metra kits have plenty of their own reliability issues, so they aren't some angelic Godsend in any way.

Second, the guy who is doing those "reskins", is actually changing and/or adding some of the operations of the A/C system with better controls, and other functions that are not available on the original unit. Not just making it look better, which is of course needed as well.
I have been using the Scosche kit for about a year now, without a single hiccup.From 18 degree low temps to 97 degree highs. So far, so good.

He's not changing them, he's just unpacking them from the software. They're in there, you just have to know how to get to them. I did the exact same thing for people on the original unit, but I didn't charge them.

Wittbrij

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Ford Flex Ecoboost, 2013 Focus ST, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
The scosche unit ($400) + a wireless android auto ($700+) is far more than the px6. And the <7 inch horizontal screen that sits proud of the dash just looks so 90s.

Last time I checked Metra doesn't work with 18+

The px6 at 600 bucks looks modern and does everything I need.

I use sync and voice commands for everything. This is just a nicer screen to look at, run navigation, torque, amazon music/pandora/spotify, let my kids watch shows, etc.

If you are an audiophile a traditional head unit would be better. lth+h pipe... I'd rather have something to look at.

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
The scosche unit ($400) + a wireless android auto ($700+) is far more than the px6. And the <7 inch horizontal screen that sits proud of the dash just looks so 90s.

Last time I checked Metra doesn't work with 18+

The px6 at 600 bucks looks modern and does everything I need.

I use sync and voice commands for everything. This is just a nicer screen to look at, run navigation, torque, amazon music/pandora/spotify, let my kids watch shows, etc.

If you are an audiophile a traditional head unit would be better. lth+h pipe... I'd rather have something to look at.
I have about $650 into the Scosche and Kenwood, with wires AA.I also use Spotify, Pandora, YouTube and Google maps, and voice commands through Google Assistant.

Wittbrij

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Wire vs wireless aa units were, at least last summer were a huge price difference. Add wireless aa and its over 1k too close to a sync 3 swap for me.

I won't buy another modern car without getting the highest end radio/infotainment...

Sponsored

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Wire vs wireless aa units were, at least last summer were a huge price difference. Add wireless aa and its over 1k too close to a sync 3 swap for me.

I won't buy another modern car without getting the highest end radio/infotainment...
They are available under $300, for a Kenwood double din.

I prefer my name brand and warranty over Chinese trash with poor Engrish, and shit support.

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

I prefer my name brand and warranty over Chinese trash with poor Engrish, and shit support.
All made in China.

What's funny, is I haven't had any QC issues concerning the physical status of the item itself. Everything appears to work. So far, the main issues ALL revolve around Android programming, not the quality of the electronics itself.

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
All made in China.

What's funny, is I haven't had any QC issues concerning the physical status of the item itself. Everything appears to work. So far, the main issues ALL revolve around Android programming, not the quality of the electronics itself.
Yeah, let me know how any warranty issues are handled. The crap they have running is a bastardized Android port and it's configured by the people assembling them in Shenzhen. Trying to blame Android is a copout. Defending these units is like defending a HiPoint pistol.

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Yeah, let me know how any warranty issues are handled. The crap they have running is a bastardized Android port and it's configured by the people assembling them in Shenzhen. Trying to blame Android is a copout. Defending these units is like defending a HiPoint pistol.
I didn't say that. It's obvious those who programmed these did a fairly poor job to make sure everything works as it should. Regardless of what OS is used, it's a programming problem. Physically it seems to be reliable. Only time will tell. I just have to figure out how to get the programming working the way I'd like it to.

Wittbrij

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)

Wireless aa units with navigation are no where near $300.

Sponsored

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Wireless aa units with navigation are no where near $300.
Now you're just being obtuse, because if you bothered to just Google it, or check Crutchfield, you would realize how dumb you look arguing with a guy who bought exactly what you're saying doesn't exist.

Wittbrij

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Now you're just being obtuse, because if you bothered to just Google it, or check Crutchfield, you would realize how dumb you look arguing with a guy who bought exactly what you're saying doesn't exist.
Personal attacks indicate who you are.

But here you go. Wireless aa, Kenwood with navigation from today. And hey look they are both on sale!
Screenshot_20200201-094423_Chrome.jpg

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Personal attacks indicate who you are.

But here you go. Wireless aa, Kenwood with navigation from today. And hey look they are both on sale!
Screenshot_20200201-094423_Chrome.jpg
The fact that you're still going on and on proves that you're only posting to read your own words.

Now you can eat them, along with a little crow.

AA1.jpg
AA2.jpg

Oh, you're right, these are over $300, one is even $500. That's not close to $300 at all.

It's a shame Crutchfield is the only place to buy car audio, amirite?

rekt.jpg

See how easy it is? Welcome to the internet, where your ability to think for yourself is important, and your feelings don't matter.

Wittbrij

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
The fact that you're still going on and on proves that you're only posting to read your own words.

Now you can eat them, along with a little crow.

AA1.jpg
AA2.jpg

Oh, you're right, these are over $300, one is even $500. That's not close to $300 at all.

It's a shame Crutchfield is the only place to buy car audio, amirite?

rekt.jpg

See how easy it is? Welcome to the internet, where your ability to think for yourself is important, and your feelings don't matter.
ok

Those don't have built-in navigation and wireless aa those were the terms... Px6 does. Kenwood does at 1k + dash kit all to look like a a handme down car from the 90s

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
^^^Wittbrij does have a point. The moment you add a GPS receiver and Nav software the price goes ICBM.
Sponsored